Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you see yourself in your Project Life journey (or lack of one)?
Finishing up my first year, and can't wait to do another! 16 22.22%
Finishing up my first year, but not continuing on to next year. 0 0%
I've completed a few years, and am planning to keep on with it! 14 19.44%
I've completed a few years, but I think I won't do it next year. 2 2.78%
I'm preparing/gearing up for my first year!! 6 8.33%
I've started a few times but I've never finished it... but I'm going to try again! 7 9.72%
I've started before, never finished, and I'm just not going to try this coming year. 4 5.56%
Never wanted to do it and have no desire to do it. 23 31.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default A Project Life survey for EVERYONE

Aha! This should actually work this time!! lol

How do you view yourself on your Project Life journey?
Will you be continuing on for next year, or starting next year for the first time?
If you did it this year (even if you didn't finish, but plan on trying again next year) will you be doing it the same as this year or changing it up any?
If you didn't do it this year, have you done it previously?
Also, if you didn't do it this year, or ever, and don't plan on doing it this year, why not?

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I voted "Never wanted to do it and have no desire to do it.", but that's not totally true for me. I wouldn't say I don't want to do it per se, I just know it's not realistic I would actually execute it with any consistency.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My option is not there haha I am doing project life.. slowly. I don't really "keep up" with it but I just organize my photos and leave spots for the journal cards. I have 2012 and much of 2013 photos organized and many cards placed but I need to do a pile of the journaling

So my option is to continue doing PL with 2014 while continuing to finish up previous years
Old 11-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How do you view yourself on your Project Life journey? Not a beginner, but not advanced. I'm still figuring out my style for PL and I think this is something that will continue to evolve as I try new things.
Will you be continuing on for next year, or starting next year for the first time?next year will be my 3rd year, and I will be continuing with some changes
If you did it this year (even if you didn't finish, but plan on trying again next year) will you be doing it the same as this year or changing it up any? Definitely changing things up, but not sure how yet.
If you didn't do it this year, have you done it previously? n/a
Also, if you didn't do it this year, or ever, and don't plan on doing it this year, why not? n/a
Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to keep after it... maybe try some different design layouts to keep it fresh and fun, but PL will totally be in my life next year.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is my first year doing it, and surprisingly, I've kept up somewhat. I'm still behind on it, but not like hopelessly as I tend to sit and knock out several weeks worth of pages at a time.
I do plan to do it again next year - and definitely still digitally, lol - but I don't think I'll do it completely the same. I already don't use a ton on my PL pages, but I think next year I'll go with JUST already done cards and photos. No papers, no elements. But I also want to do one just for ME as well with a more art journaly twist. I already do month in review pages for myself, I think I'd like to do week in review for myself next year instead.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The funny part is that the only reason I even did it this year was because Traci kept making freaking PL stuff. I figured if I was going to have to use it anyway I might as well do it. lol

Old 11-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I voted never done it and no desire. I've toyed with it in the past but it's just not for me. I'm already an everyday moment kind of scrapper and I like more freedom in my scrapping. I don't want to feel I have to keep up or succumb to forced documentation. Also I think we're just pretty boring LOL I have thought that I might do more of a monthly highlight kind of thing but I'm still on the fence.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

still figuring out how I want things to work

Will you be continuing on for next year, or starting next year for the first time?
I will be continuing

If you did it this year (even if you didn't finish, but plan on trying again next year) will you be doing it the same as this year or changing it up any?
I am behind this year (haven't done much since August when life just got crazy) - so in order to get 2013 done and work on 2014 at the same time - I think I am going to go with a monthly approach. Some months might have 4 spreads worth and some might just have 2. I might change some other stuff but I haven't yet figured it out

n/a

Also, if you didn't do it this year, or ever, and don't plan on doing it this year, why not?
n/a

Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I voted never wanted to do it and have no desire to do it. I don't have the energy to even try to do it. It seems so overwhelming to me.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I did it for three years, and LOVE those albums now. It's a lot of work though, and I've taken a break from it for the past 2 years. I scrap so much everyday pages however, that I still manage to capture a good slice of our life, so don't really miss doing it.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After reading many reviews, I feel like jumping into the PL bandwagon, so I voted "Preparing". I can't wait to start since I've never really documented my life consistently week by week or even monthly. There'll be weeks where I might have nothing to document at all (nothing interesting, at least) and of course, there'll be busier weeks. My plan of attack would be to take it fortnightly. That doesn't seem so intimidating to me.

Last edited by zakirahzakaria; 11-24-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've never done Project Life and I don't plan to ever do it. But, maybe I shouldn't be so certain... who knows? Maybe some day I will feel the need to do it and will give it a try. I just can't see myself ever successfully completing a project like that. I can't even accomplish A Week In The Life or December Daily for Pete's sake.

I also feel like I don't take enough pictures to justify scrapping 'normal' pages AND project life ones. I don't want tons of repeats, and I'd rather do event or single page layouts for my photos than pocket-style pages.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I voted no desire to, I don't like the way it looks honestly.

Nothing about it appeals to me.

But I do think its great for anyone that wants to do it. As long as you're preserving your memories, that's all that matters.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
Aha! This should actually work this time!! lol

I started PL when my second son was born - October 2 years ago. I started paper PL - dove off the ledge and purchased EVERYTHING. Within two months I realized that I loved the idea of PL, but just can not be a paper scrapper anymore. I started using SSD kits to do PL, sold ALL of my paper scrapping stuff (minus a few fave things), and went straight PL digital. That was when I started straying some from SSD (hence the fact that my siggie hasn't even been updated with my youngest son that's now two! ) because at the time the products weren't as PL-friendly (not that they weren't amazing - just not as useful for me at that time).

I currently do (in digi PL):
- One large family album
- One album for each boy
- One album that my oldest does 90% on his own - the "My Personal Yearbook" from Becky Higgins
- Mini albums as special events come up

In the past two years PL has EXPLODED and I LOVE that SSD now has products geared toward PLers. PL really encompasses the way I think - about scrapping, about capturing and journaling memories, uses time wisely and can be "as much or as little" as I want it to be. I love that I can digitally slip pics and journaling cards into pockets, use my own handwriting (thanks Darcy!) to journal, and if I don't have any more time - that's it! If I have extra time or want to make the page extra special, I can spend more time using digi embellies to make it even more amazing.

It mostly boils down to that at the end of the day, working 40+ hours per week with two little ones, running a household, volunteering, etc - I have a fraction of the time to scrap that I used to. Now I focus more on capturing the actual memory than scrapping a beautiful page. While I do miss the days of being on 4-6 CTs and scrapping 7-10 elaborate pages per week, it's just not realistic for me anymore.

Here's a look at how my scrapping style has evolved to PL...

End of 2011 - starting PL

Current

Last edited by wvasweetness; 11-24-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
My option is not there haha I am doing project life.. slowly. I don't really "keep up" with it but I just organize my photos and leave spots for the journal cards. I have 2012 and much of 2013 photos organized and many cards placed but I need to do a pile of the journaling

So my option is to continue doing PL with 2014 while continuing to finish up previous years
I've never done PL, but I'm planning to start SOON. But I'm going to do like KCB. I don't want it to be a weekly thing that I have to keep up. Between working as much as I do and having an insanely busy toddler, I just don't scrap as much as I used to (or as much as I want to). So, PL seems like a great alternative for me in this stage of my life. I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment by doing it in a way that I have to "keep up."
Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is me as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

How do you view yourself on your Project Life journey? finishing up my second year and love it so much that I don't even do full page layouts anymore...
Will you be continuing on for next year, or starting next year for the first time? yup, so excited to continue on...
If you did it this year (even if you didn't finish, but plan on trying again next year) will you be doing it the same as this year or changing it up any? I did a lot of trial this year to really find my groove... I did digital last year and loved it but I just really love playing with paper and mixed media materials... I tried traditional paper and even tried a paper kit club subscription... but realized that my heart and passion is hybrid, the best of both worlds
Old 11-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm just over a year into my pocket album journey and I'll definitely be continuing into 2014! I'm even thinking about doing a past year at the same time... we'll see how it goes!

I don't stress about "keeping up". I have a few weeks missing in my 2013 album and I'm fine with that. If I get to it, great. If not, I still have so many great memories captured in the weeks I have scrapped.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Will be starting my 2nd full year.

Continuing onto year 2.

I will probably be doing it the same. My pages are fairly simple and I plan to keep it that way.

N/A

N/A
Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

So, I started this year with no expectations, actually planning to FAIL. But I SO SO Loved it. And I was a total naysayer too. I feel like this scrapping gave me a much more comprehensive look at our life, with the occasional 12x12 layout thrown in to expand up on it and get the more emotional side covered. I did all this year and barely ever even got behind.
I will be continuing on!
I did this year mostly paper with some hybrid thrown in and while it was novel for the first half of the year, by August or so, I was missing everything I could do digitally and how I could make it "better" that way. So next year I will be doing a more hybrid approach, with cards that are paper and digital based with paper embellishments for completion.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I started in 2010 and have done it every year since...I am behind on 2012 and 2013, but I am still trucking along. I don't give up quite that easily and I LOVE how my pages turn out. This year I stuck with only about 15 different templates and that made it much much easier. So when I have time, I put my pictures and journaling all on my 2 page spread and then go back and embellish them That works for me and I don't feel so overwhelmed.....I am however going to give my DD a try at this type of scrapping hybrid
Old 11-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I tried it this year. I was so excited, but it didn't last very long. We just don't DO enough in a week I guess. It got really boring really fast. It's just my son and I, and every other weekend he's at his dad's. I had to struggle to fill a page too much. Also, when we do stuff I don't take a lot of photos, and the ones I take I use for my regular pages. So I feel NO desire to try again.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This was my first year doing PL, and it's the first year I won't finish the year with an overwhelming number of photos and stories still in my yearly "To Scrap" folder. (Not that I'll be done, just that I'll have a reasonable number of PL and regular pages still to do.) I'll definitely be continuing next year.

It took me a good 6 or 7 months this time around to really find a PL method that worked for me. I started semi-hybrid and trying to scrap a page each week, and I was way behind and spending too much time on each LO. I finally had my "ah-ha!" moment this summer. It started when I decided to switch to 100% digital and continued when KCB shared a tip about how she places photos and journaling and then goes back later to add the scrappy stuff (thank you, Kristin!). It changed the way I do PL and finally made it sustainable for me. I scrap a LO for each week, but I tend to let it go for a few weeks and then do a few weeks back to back. I'm still working on catching up since I was so behind the first half of the year, but I'm making progress and am hoping to finish the year by the end of Jan at the latest. So I'll be continuing on in the same way as I am doing now. I'm kinda surprised I made it this far; I usually struggle to complete projects like Week In the Life, never mind a year long project!

Last edited by rach3975; 11-24-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is me, too!!! I have the photos and stories... just slow at getting it all scrapped...I'm on Nov for 2011.... Jan for 2012... and Mar for 2013... I'll get there, eventually... haha
Old 11-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love it. I'm finishing up my second year, and I feel like I've found my groove. I know what I like, what I don't like, and my pages reflect that.

Yes, and I plan to keep a PL style album for each of our parents while we're in the US next year, as well as my own PL album.

I'm doing the grandparents' albums in paper and will continue to do mine on the computer & print the cards. (At least that is the plan for now)

I really like that I can document lots of little things without having to make an entire scrapbook page about it.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm finishing year 3 of PL. The first year and a half were paper (using Becky's supplies) but since then I have done digital.
Yes, definitely continuing on for the foreseeable future.

If you did it this year (even if you didn't finish, but plan on trying again next year) will you be doing it the same as this year or changing it up any? I will continue the same way. I switched to all digital a year and a half ago and then have them printed (every six months) into Shutterfly books. I LOVE it this way -- the books are beautiful and take up so much less room than huge scrapbooks! I also like this way of organizing -- I scan in all the "ephemera" of life like kids' school papers, restaurant menus, maps, whatever, and keep those in the same folders as my photos, so I have everything all in one place. I like printing twice a year because then we have something to look at and a year feels way too long to go with no finished product.

Last edited by DawnMarch; 11-24-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had to really think through how PL would fit in with my overall memory keeping plan before jumping in... But with DH gearing up to go overseas for a year I'm excited to document the everyday so he can see what we're doing. I did one of the mini albums over the summer and liked the format, so I'm eager to tackle the full project.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i had a great start last year but after my birthday in april i stopped. i have this suspicion that it had to do with me engaging in several cts and i had the feeling that i had to make my life "bigger" to make ct layouts for my designers.

i really want to start again in january.
the weeks that i have are so fabulous and i love going through them.
my approach is not too minimalistic and i used fab templates beginning last year (sorry from another store) that look quite precious.

if i want to keep up i have to separate this from my ct work i believe.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

ah forgot to add... i don't feel like a failure that i didn't finish up. i love the pages that i have and to think that i have to finish it to be happy just wouldn't do them justice.
and i don't want to overwhelm me to think that i have to catch up with anything. this is my hobby and i want to keep it fun.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I personally dont really care about the daily ins and outs of our lives to be documented. I only want to document the important stuff. But I have decided that for vacations and other big albums Im going to do it PL style.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I fell totally & completely in love with PL in the fall of 2012 but I'm weird and couldn't start partway through a year (or almost through a year!) - so I made the decision to start in 2013. And I fell HARD for this project. I love having a place for the "imperfect" snapshots that I never seem to put on my regular 12x12 pages, and the little stories that I always forget before I get around to scrapping them. I love mixing paper product with my favorite digi products and having the best of both worlds.

I am excited for next year - I think I have a pretty good groove and system happening (when I have the motivation) and even though our lives are far from exciting, somehow I manage to fill each week. I think, having it on my mind or in the back of my mind, really reminds me to capture some of the random, everyday things that I might not normally think to photograph.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 11-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I voted never did and never will - and I like my traditional digi, so I'm pretty sure I'll keep that thought. But - I like the look and want to do AWITL in a pl style
Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my option isn't in there! "never started, but wanting to!"

Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I have never done it before and never really wanted to, but I've recently changed my mind and I am gearing up to start in 2014. So what changed?

1) I am really, very much NOT Team Wizard Manual. I don't do 12x12. I don't want to do 12x12. I don't want to design pages that are 12x12 and I don't want to have pages that are 12x12. I discovered 6x8 albums.

2) I didn't have a way to print my digi stash, and the idea of paying for all different paper supplies when I already have so much awesome digi stuff - just no. No. I got a Silhouette and I'm getting a printer for Christmas.

3) I started writing (rather than typing) things more often for a completely unrelated non-scrap project, and I realized I really like the act of writing, and I like my handwriting. So the idea of physically writing my journaling on cards really appeals to me in a way I hadn't expected before.

4) A picture every single day is too stressful. I mean, I'll almost certainly take a picture every day, but feeling like I have to stresses me out. I finally accepted that PL is what you make it to be, and there are no rules. If I skip a day, or even a week, or I only have journaling for a day, or whatever, who cares? My album. I almost certainly WON'T have 7 pictures for every 2-page spread in a 6x8 album. And that's fine. And one year won't fit in a 6x8 album, and that's ok too. When it's full, I start another. Whatevs.

5) I really enjoy making full page LOs. I guess this is kind of an extension to #4 but if something needs a full page, then I'll make a full page. Done. Plus I still have plenty of pre-2014 that needs doing an I am not going to retro PL them all.

6) I prefer bound photo books to ring binders and pocket protectors. And I still do. But the photo books are such a PITA to put together. I've done it, and I'll do it again, but I don't look forward to it. I like making the LOs but not actually getting the book ready to print. I guess I've finally gotten the point where I want more immediate gratification, and less procrastinating on getting that book made. I want my kids to be able to hold it in their little hands sooner. So I'm getting over the binders and plastic in order to get it done faster.

Now.... ask me in February if I'm still this excited about it. I hope I am! lol
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I need to complete 2012 and 2013 but I def. continuing in 2014.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Never started it and not really interested in doing it. Not in the pocket style anyway. I do my 365 Project and assemble it in a photo book with captions and little blurbs and extra photos about various events. Which I suppose is a form of PL. Just not a scrapped one.

It's just not how I scrap.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Totally in love with it. It's the first time--after almost 10 years of saying that I was a scrapbooker--that I actually AM scrapbooking consistently. It's just what I needed in my life. I love it!

2012 was paper (and is finished for the most part). 2013 has been digital because the way I did my paper album was so involved! I see myself continuing on with things this way (making digi cards) in 2014.

I might change my yearly formatting look (the way I do the cards and weeks), but I really love making my digital cards this way. I plan to stick with Design F though.

I don't know--I'm still too focused on this year's book. LOL!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Never have, probably never will.. I just don't scrap that way ^__^ I think it looks great, and I love that people are documenting their lives etc-- I just.... document differently ? not sure. I just know it doesn't work for me.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

this was my first year and reallyreally loved it. sadly, though, i crashed and burned around week 17/18. i just ran out of time... i only have so much time to scrap during the week and doing 2 pages spreads ontop of everything else became too hectic for me. i love my digi pages and in the end had to choose between the two.

i would like to try again for 2014... but this time shake things up and do something simpler : just one page a week or a two pager once a month.

Last edited by lingovise; 11-25-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I may or may not start someday. I like the format of the pages, but I don't think I have that much of a reason to document every week. Most weeks are the same. Work. work. work. I might start it if we have a baby this year though.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to purple_colourz

I'm so behind on our Project Life album (I should be working from week 33 up to now) but I still love it and I will continue to do it for next year, I already bought my supplies (album and page protectors). I'm not stressing about being caught up right away because it's gonna be a lot of work, I take my time and do something here and there once in a while. I'm taking pictures and taking notes though so I remember what happened when.

Last edited by purple_colourz; 11-25-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Never have, likely never will. I work 40+ hours, come home, help with homework, clean up, and generally all to bed before I get to carve out some time for myself. That would be the extent of my PL until the weekend, so our lives just don't justify committing so much time.

Plus, its so not my style. I do this as a hobby and a way to be creative. I love my pretty pages even if they take longer to do.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I haven't done one (out of the scrapping loop for awhile and missed it until recently) but seeing how others have made books and how my husband gets irritated that I NEVER finish my scrapbooks, I'm going to give it a shot next year. Worst that can happen is I fail! LOL
Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I voted no desire to, I don't like the way it looks honestly.

Nothing about it appeals to me.

But I do think its great for anyone that wants to do it. As long as you're preserving your memories, that's all that matters.
Ditto all of this.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Finishing up my first year, and can't wait to do another!

Definitely continuing!!!

Not changing anything!! I love they way I did it this year!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow