Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Reflection of 2017

I'm not big on making resolutions/goals, so reflecting on them at the end of the year isn't something that I normally don't do or even think about. However my 16-year old daughter posted this on Facebook last night and it made my heart happy to read. She had a really rough year and looking back, she was able to find just a few things that she accomplished throughout 2017.

So what about you, as we reflect on 2017, what are your accomplishments. Even if you had a rough year, can you find something that was positive?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wendy those are fantastic accomplishments for her!! My caseload at work are students who struggle with mental health as well as other things. One of the things I do with them is to make a mental health plan so it is in writing and they can refer to it at any time.
We also talk about deposits and withdrawals during the day, anything small that is positive is considered a deposit so at the end of the day even if we had a withdrawal or two there is still a positive in our 'bank'. It's been very successful with a few of my female students.

Accomplishments for me.....I tried a few new things, got out socially a bit more, took my bucket list trip to Ireland solo and let go of a few things
Old 12-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
Wendy those are fantastic accomplishments for her!! My caseload at work are students who struggle with mental health as well as other things. One of the things I do with them is to make a mental health plan so it is in writing and they can refer to it at any time. We also talk about deposits and withdrawals during the day, anything small that is positive is considered a deposit so at the end of the day even if we had a withdrawal or two there is still a positive in our 'bank'. It's been very successful with a few of my female students.
That is probably what her therapist had her doing and why she did this. She saw her yesterday and when she came home she said she was going to cry, probably reflecting through this year. I checked on her several times. She was fine, just quiet in thought. Last night before I went to bed, she posted this on Facebook and my heart was so happy to read the many positive things she could reflect on 2017, especially after almost losing her earlier in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
Accomplishments for me.....I tried a few new things, got out socially a bit more, took my bucket list trip to Ireland solo and let go of a few things
Yay on the social-front. I struggle with that. Half the time I never want to go, but afterwards I'm glad I did it! And Ireland!! Wow, that's awesome!! Yay for letting go of things!! Here's hoping 2018 brings you more accomplishments!! <3
Old 12-29-2017, 02:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Those are some fantastic accomplishments. She can be very proud of herself Wendy!

I am one of those people who had a rough year. But I still can see the 'good' of the year as well...
- I had the opportunity to travel (more than once) again (it had been a while)
- My situation at work has been a LOT better than in the beginning of this year (but it got way worse before it got better)
- My dream came true and I became a SugarBabe.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
Those are some fantastic accomplishments. She can be very proud of herself Wendy!

I am one of those people who had a rough year. But I still can see the 'good' of the year as well...
- I had the opportunity to travel (more than once) again (it had been a while)
- My situation at work has been a LOT better than in the beginning of this year (but it got way worse before it got better)
- My dream came true and I became a SugarBabe.
That was pretty awesome and I'm really proud of you!! <3

I've noticed a lot of your traveling pages in the gallery. I'm sorry to hear about work, but glad that its getting better!!! Here's to a more positive 2018!!
Old 12-29-2017, 04:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much Wendy!

Old 12-29-2017, 05:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've had one of the worst of my adult life. But I try to reflect on the good often.

Kudos to your daughter Wendy!!!! Those are some great things to be proud of. I write poetry and it's always very therapeutic for me. I hope it is for her as well. ♥

Old 12-29-2017, 05:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow, Wendy! Your daughter has had some awesome accomplishments! I think I may have my boys do this.
Looking back at this year, I feel like I've been treading water...like I haven't accomplished anything extremely good and nothing extremely bad happened.
I guess I will consider preparing for a move to another state in the good category, even with having the blood clots & swelling, I organized and got us packed (we've never moved out-of-state before!).
Starting to scrap again in the fall will go into the accomplishment category, too.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
I've had one of the worst of my adult life. But I try to reflect on the good often.

Kudos to your daughter Wendy!!!! Those are some great things to be proud of. I write poetry and it's always very therapeutic for me. I hope it is for her as well. ♥
She started off with Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur earlier this year and it blossomed in to all the more modern poetry. While its not traditional poetry, it's helping her express herself in a more creative outlet!

I'm glad that even during the storm, you are able to find some good to reflect back on 2017! <3
Old 12-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Wow, Wendy! Your daughter has had some awesome accomplishments! I think I may have my boys do this.
Looking back at this year, I feel like I've been treading water...like I haven't accomplished anything extremely good and nothing extremely bad happened.
I guess I will consider preparing for a move to another state in the good category, even with having the blood clots & swelling, I organized and got us packed (we've never moved out-of-state before!).
Starting to scrap again in the fall will go into the accomplishment category, too.
I wondered where you have been!! So glad you found your way back to digiscrapping!! <3 I've missed your chatter and your layouts in the galleries!

Moving, I do not envy you on that one. But I'm sure looking back it's quite the accomplishment, especially with all the hurdles you faced making it happen!! Enjoy your new home and keep on scrapping!!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So thankful she is improving each day and that she's able to actually end 2017 on such a positive note. Constantly praying for her, you and the family!

2017 was a rough year. And while I know 2018 has some struggles ahead already, I'm praying for a much better year.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
So thankful she is improving each day and that she's able to actually end 2017 on such a positive note. Constantly praying for her, you and the family!

2017 was a rough year. And while I know 2018 has some struggles ahead already, I'm praying for a much better year.
I'm so sorry 2017 wasn't the greatest and know 2018 will have it's struggles already. I'm always praying and will continue praying for you and your family.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The year started out rough but then an unexpected great job fell into my husband's lap in May, we were able to go on two family vacations in June & July, we completed a round of Whole30 from mid-July through mid-August, my son finally got (mostly) pottytrained by the end of November, and an unexpected great job fell into my lap at the beginning of this month. We were on a slow uptrend all year long but I didn't really think about it like that until just recently.

2018 is going to be a REALLY great year for us, and to be honest, we've not had a really great year in the almost 11 years we've been together so I'm psyched about that!

Our lease is up at the beginning of June, and we might actually be able to buy a house (our very first) by then. Our jobs are both long-term permanent positions so just not having to worry about job searching or financial things or actually searching, applying, interviewing, following up has already lifted a huge burden off of me.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

2017 has been a whirlwind for our family. I had lots of struggles and fights with hubby about our future together and what decisions to make. For now, although we had tried so much to move forward, we are still stuck in the same place as we tried in the beginning *literally*.
It's been a very tiring year for me, mentally. There are plenty of time when I feel like just giving up, that I am just too tired for all of these stuffs in front of me. However, when I look at our son, look at my husband who works hard to feed us, I know every fight and effort we made to try to move forward have all worth every ounce of the energy.
I'm still content. I am still grateful.
We have a warm place to call home. We have each other. Everyone is in good health & we have food on the table to eat together. And I even get my husband's support to study some online course to polish my ability.
We are still blessed beyond belief, despite whatever not-so-good things that happen. Things did not go the way we wished & dreamed them to be, but, 2017 is still another year where God's blessings & protection are upon my little family. And for that alone, I can say it's been a great year.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
The year started out rough but then an unexpected great job fell into my husband's lap in May, we were able to go on two family vacations in June & July, we completed a round of Whole30 from mid-July through mid-August, my son finally got (mostly) pottytrained by the end of November, and an unexpected great job fell into my lap at the beginning of this month. We were on a slow uptrend all year long but I didn't really think about it like that until just recently.

2018 is going to be a REALLY great year for us, and to be honest, we've not had a really great year in the almost 11 years we've been together so I'm psyched about that!

Our lease is up at the beginning of June, and we might actually be able to buy a house (our very first) by then. Our jobs are both long-term permanent positions so just not having to worry about job searching or financial things or actually searching, applying, interviewing, following up has already lifted a huge burden off of me.
Wow, that's awesome!! Congratulations to both of you on these long-term positions and possibly being able to buy your home later this year!! Here's hoping 2018 brings you a new place to live that you can finally call "yours"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
2017 has been a whirlwind for our family. I had lots of struggles and fights with hubby about our future together and what decisions to make. For now, although we had tried so much to move forward, we are still stuck in the same place as we tried in the beginning *literally*.
It's been a very tiring year for me, mentally. There are plenty of time when I feel like just giving up, that I am just too tired for all of these stuffs in front of me. However, when I look at our son, look at my husband who works hard to feed us, I know every fight and effort we made to try to move forward have all worth every ounce of the energy.
I'm still content. I am still grateful.
We have a warm place to call home. We have each other. Everyone is in good health & we have food on the table to eat together. And I even get my husband's support to study some online course to polish my ability.
We are still blessed beyond belief, despite whatever not-so-good things that happen. Things did not go the way we wished & dreamed them to be, but, 2017 is still another year where God's blessings & protection are upon my little family. And for that alone, I can say it's been a great year.
I'm really sorry you weren't able to do the things that you wanted to this year and that God closed those doors on you. I think of you and pray for your family often for you to find the place that you need to be, as far as living-wise. Even though your year didn't pan out the way that you had hoped, it's awesome to see you able to find the blessings that were given to you and your family!