Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2017, 03:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Qotd: December 26th. Do you celebrate? (12/26)

Hi everyone.
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and Christmas eve.
Today is December 26th.
Do you celebrate it? And how do you celebrate it?

Old 12-26-2017, 04:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Please excuse my ignorance, is Dec 26 a holiday?
Old 12-26-2017, 04:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

In Belgium it's a holiday. It's second Christmas day. My office is closed because of it, so I don't have to go to work. But we don't celebrate it.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

it's boxing day for most of us in Australia (except in my state, it's proclamation day) so we have a day off too today...

we have a lot of sports events today and also big sale at the shops (kinda like black friday in the US)

i don't really celebrate it, i'm just enjoying an extra day off of work

Old 12-26-2017, 05:46 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

In the netherlands its a holiday.
But sarah i thought it wasnt in belgium.al the belgium people who come to sluis.and there are more here than dutch people say its not ?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think it depends Renata. I don't think it's a holiday for everyone, but my office is closed, my whole family is home today, except for my uncle, he has to go to work.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A holiday for me too - like Eve said, Boxing Day. Big sales in the shops but I don't go anywhere near them as its often very chaotic. So I just stayed home... but I am on 6 weeks holidays at the moment so its not too different to any of my other days off!
Old 12-26-2017, 06:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Enjoy your vacation Kim. Wow, 6 weeks!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I think it depends Renata. I don't think it's a holiday for everyone, but my office is closed, my whole family is home today, except for my uncle, he has to go to work.

not that it's matters in Sluis, holiday or not, everything is open every holiday, ecept first christmasday en new years day
Old 12-26-2017, 10:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

it's a holiday for us in Canada as well. I think it is for most countries in the Commonwealth.

Boxing Day for us is a lazy,messy hair don't care, leftovers or appetizers for food with no set time for dinner-as in we just eat, lol kind of day. It is also 'game day' where we sit and play board games, I break out the old PS2 and mom and I will play Monopoly.

For me it is also the first day of the IIHF World Juniors Tournament, so I am glued to the tv watching hockey and cheering on my boys in Red and White
Old 12-26-2017, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband had to go into work today and was pretty peeved that his company (which does do some work on Saturdays although the office where he works does not) decided Saturday was the day they were observing for Christmas Eve and not today.

My office is closed this week because it is a small church and there is really not much going on between Christmas and New Year's -- not because today is a particularly special day here in the States. I am going in for a few hours Friday morning to get things printed for their NYE service but otherwise I'm off work from Dec 23 through Jan 1st.

The kids and I are running errands today --- groceries, the library, a trip to Goodwill to drop off old clothes --- and trying to stay warm. It is super super cold here this week, and we have an old rental house that has a hard time staying warm when it is this cold outside.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It is a holiday here too... Like Sarah said second Christmas day. Matter fact we go out to our favorite restaurant in 30 minutes and have some fun together.

Next to that Several big stores who sale christmas stuf have huge sales. I might go check tomorrow to see if i can score some new stuff for next year.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatasluis View Post
not that it's matters in Sluis, holiday or not, everything is open every holiday, ecept first christmasday en new years day
A lot of shops were open here as well today.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't realize that today was Second Christmas Day. I remembered something about Boxing Day, but forgot about it until someone mentioned above!

We obviously aren't celebrating anything because I didn't even know what you were talking about when you posted this! My kids are still off, but it's just because it's their "Winter Break". My husband is back at work, even though he's on a 1/2 day schedule until his four-day weekend this coming weekend.

Today we are just relaxing and recovering from the festivities of yesterday! Okay, I'm sick, so I'm relaxing. The kids are just enjoying their time off from school.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband is US military, so he takes leave around Christmas time. We end up having a super lazy week right around Christmas where he is home and we just hang out together as a family. He's been gone a lot this year, so we are just playing video games and watching movies before he has to go back to work!

Old 12-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The 26th isn't a holiday in the US, but lots of people choose to take the week between Christmas and New Years off and schools are closed for winter break. My husband went to work, but the kids and I are off because our schools are closed. My parents are here visiting because we're celebrating a family birthday today.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

the 26th is Boxing Day here in Canada...... there's nothing to really celebrate.... just another day off to relax and spend time with the fam. The kids LOVE to go after Christmas shopping, but since nothing is Open here on Boxing Day it doesn't count as being something "special" to them..... now the 27th on the other hand..... that is their time to hit the sales and spend their christmas money/gift cards..... it is our Black Friday since we don't have that here. lol
Old 01-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know of anyone who celebrates it in the US unless they have ties to another culture. Many people here are back to work and business as usual. I was off but I work for a school and we had 2 weeks off for Christmas/New Year's. Hubby had to work.