Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-31-2017, 12:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default ~*Kiana*~

I knew if I wrote a post after your comment in the gallery that you'd never see it. So I hope you don't mind me starting a new post here to answer your question.

How did I take the photo of the snowflakes? It was easy I have always loved taking photos of my kids and places that we've lived. But the last year or two I've been really trying to hone in on this skill and take better, wall-worthy photos. Last month I took an introduction to photography class that taught me Rule of Thirds, lines and other things. Afterwards we went out and about and took photos. I realized during that class that I LOVE nature and LOVE taking photos of things that people sometimes overlook or don't think to photograph!

I was born and raised on the East Coast and we've always, for the most part, lived on the East Coast. Two years ago, February, we moved to Colorado. The air is dryer and things are different here, especially snow!! Fast forward to Tuesday when we got snow, a day after Christmas I went outside (without a coat, because while it's cold, it's not East Coast cold to warrant wearing a jacket!) and I noticed the flakes were sparkly than normal. They were defined and the snowflakes were laying one on top of one another. It wasn't just one snowflake that was definitive, it was all of them!! It was beautiful. I hadn't really paid attention to the snow here because unlike the East Coast, it snows and later that day, it's gone! I took a few photos with my phone and posted it to Instagram. Then I thought "I wonder if I can get more detail with my DSLR" So I grabbed my camera and took a few photos. Once I came in the house, I started looking through them and found the best photo, which is currently my desktop. The layout that you commented on is actually four different photos capturing the different types of snowflakes. While editing the photos (maybe an hour after it snowed), my daughter told me "the snow is all gone" If you hadn't gotten out of bed before 10am, you would never have known it snowed!

This is my favorite photo from my DSLR:

I took it on manual, without a flash (I wonder what a flash would have looked like though!) and I adjusted the site line to go across the middle for Rule of Third (visible layer in the middle, less visible on the bottom and blurry on the top). The only thing I did with the photo is sharpen it to save for web. I don't know, it was an easy shot because the snowflakes worked with me! Would the photography teacher like it and grade it an A+? Not sure. But I like it!! My ultimate goal is to photograph the galaxy at night. One day I will be good enough with my camera and can do that!

I hope that answers your question. The next time it snows, look at the snowflakes and see if you can see a lot of snowflakes showing and try to take a photo.

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 12-31-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That photo is gorgeous, Wendy!
Old 12-31-2017, 02:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nice! What a wonderful photo!
Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Wendy. I have a semi DSLR...it's not a point & shoot....I don't know the term. But it does have some manual settings that I've been meaning to learn. So maybe for 2018!! I live in Michigan and I wonder if I could get some snow like that. It's a lovely photo!!!! Thank you again. ♥

Old 12-31-2017, 03:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree... what a wonderful photo!

Old 12-31-2017, 10:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
Thank you Wendy. I have a semi DSLR...it's not a point & shoot....I don't know the term. But it does have some manual settings that I've been meaning to learn. So maybe for 2018!! I live in Michigan and I wonder if I could get some snow like that. It's a lovely photo!!!! Thank you again. ♥
I'm just across the river from you Kiana, depending where in Michigan you are, so our snow is probably the same. According to all the Detroit news the snow always seems to be coming from Canada, lol.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wendy that photo is stunning!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is so beautiful! Nice shot!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That's a beautiful photo Wendy!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 12-31-2017, 01:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I'm just across the river from you Kiana, depending where in Michigan you are, so our snow is probably the same. According to all the Detroit news the snow always seems to be coming from Canada, lol.
ROFL...so you're the one that keeps making me have to shovel!!!!!

I'm in SW area, near Grand Rapids.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
I was going to ask where in Michigan you were from, but I saw you answered below. My husband was born and raised in Michigan, near Detroit. In fact, both of my daughters were born in Michigan as we lived there shortly after we got married and again after he finished college. My best friend, Aussiegirl (Dawn), is from there as well. It's how we met, through our church! But then we moved away and he enlisted, making it that we never got back to Michigan.

I recommend Scott Kelby's books to learn your camera or just learn photography skills. I had his books for several years while I played around with learning my camera. Good information through those books. I didn't get my books on Amazon but at Sams Club. I don't know where you can get them locally, but they are good books.

And thank you to everyone who commented on the photo <3 It was truly a find and I was pleased that my camera cooperated with the subject!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That photo is amazing! I never knew snowflakes actually looked like that. Our snow here is just a blob falling from the sky. lol

Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I was going to ask where in Michigan you were from, but I saw you answered below. My husband was born and raised in Michigan, near Detroit. In fact, both of my daughters were born in Michigan as we lived there shortly after we got married and again after he finished college. My best friend, Aussiegirl (Dawn), is from there as well. It's how we met, through our church! But then we moved away and he enlisted, making it that we never got back to Michigan.

I recommend Scott Kelby's books to learn your camera or just learn photography skills. I had his books for several years while I played around with learning my camera. Good information through those books. I didn't get my books on Amazon but at Sams Club. I don't know where you can get them locally, but they are good books.

And thank you to everyone who commented on the photo <3 It was truly a find and I was pleased that my camera cooperated with the subject!

Thanks for the book recommendation!