Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - New Year's Eve Traditions - 12.29.15

Do you stay in? Go out? Have a party? A movie marathon? Eat any special food(s) or participate in any new year/good luck traditions?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We sleep. lol
Old 12-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Nothing big. We do a small party with the kids before bedtime. I stay up and watch the ball drop (not that I'm ever asleep before midnight!), and last year was the first year my oldest stayed up with me. DH doesn't stay up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

The past few years and this year's plan is to go out to eat for an adult only meal and then get the kids and have a fire and do some small fireworks.

On New Year's Day my inlaws have the same traditional lunch every year. Ribs, potatoes, greens, black eyed peas, sauerkraut w/hot dogs and dessert.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

we stay home and play video games and eat appetizers. We don't wanna risk getting hit since it's "amature night" and all.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My father-in-law has a big band radio show that he has been doing on New Years Eve for the last 40 years... so hubby has to go and put in liners and record the countdown. Depending on weather, J and I may go along... while Daddy is busy, J and I will play games and do a mini unit study on New Years around the world... do a craft for it. I also bring snacks... this year we still have to do radio, but we have a hotel booked that have a water park... it is like 5 miles from our house... haha!

Growing up, I would always spend the night at my grandpa's... we would snack all night long, listen to big bad music (which it wasn't until I met my hubby that I realized it was his dad's show we were listening too), and listen to the police scanner.

As is german tradition - we eat a piece of herring for each month of the year to ensure financial success. I can't stand herring, but I don't dare stop... one year I chocked on July's piece... and July turned out to be a very expensive month for me... I'm not risking it!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We stay in and Cheyanne has her BFF over every year. They plan out their menu during the week before and decide what movies to watch and games to play - this year I know it's Dominoes and cribbage so far, not sure about the food yet though. We all stay up until midnight and then I promptly fall asleep so I can get up at 6 to work on New Year's Day. This year Cheyanne has practice at 10 am so she'll be dragging for that
Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any traditions really. When I'm not working I usually celebrate with friends. This year everyone is coming over to my place, so I can keep an eye on the cats with all the fireworks.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We do not have any real traditions. This year, Nicholas is going to have a friend sleep over. They are planning to watch movies and play video games. I am going to make a bunch of appetizers for everyone to munch on. Boyfriend is on call, so it's highly likely he will get called out. Just hoping he's home at midnight.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoddess View Post
We sleep. lol
This. lol!

We live in the Mountain Time zone, we usually celebrate when the ball drops (at 10 our time) in NY and then go to bed lol

This year, my sister and her family are here so me may make more of an effort. I doubt I'll last til midnight!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The last few years I've made an effort to stay up because it's really important to my daughter (she's 9.5). I do appetizers and serve sparkling juice in wine goblets. I decorate a bit with dollar store stuff - cheery tablecloth, gold serving platters, star-themed napkins, balloons, Happy NY banner, etc. She loves it all. Then we watch the ball drop, give everyone a kiss and promptly go to sleep!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually let little dude stay up if he wants... and we just have a chill night. Nothing exciting.

Once in awhile I will have a get together... or go to one... but that's rare lol
Old 12-29-2015, 01:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We hang out at our friend's house. They have a huge shop outside and we hang out there and drink and eat and have a huge bonfire with all of the Christmas trees that are needing to be thrown out. We always stay the night...most everyone does. Their yard always looks like a travel trailer commercial. Haha! Good thing they live out in the country on 25 acres.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and very rarely do I make it to midnight.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't really do a lot. Most of the time we stay in.... hubby falls asleep early, the boys try their hardest to stay awake (even though on regular weekends they are up past midnight all the time. lol)... my middle son who loves to cook usually comes up with a list of snacks he wants to prepare.... we usually just spend the night hanging out as a family.... movie, or board games.... on occasion we go to my brothers house... (he usually does fireworks at midnight). We don't have tv, but we stream the local city televised countdown... then we push on to stay up until 1am so we can see the ball drop in NYC.... that has been my tradition since I was a kid.... and since it is my "home time zone" it has always been important to me to celebrate it even from afar.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We play board games with the kids, eat appetizers and drink sparkling grape juice. Our night is very kid friendly. On New Year's day, we go to Taco Bell for our anniversary. This is the kind of tradition that happens when you don't get to eat at your reception, you're starving and you've spent all your available money on your wedding.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't really have traditions - other than not staying up until midnight! haha!! It's really kind of just another day for us, especially since my husband is always off collecting/distributing rent on the 1st.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 12-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

We normally go out for dinner, then come home and just hang out. New Years day I make pork and saurkraut with mashed potatoes and we watch football.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:35 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

When I was little we did have a new years day tradition by the way. In the area in the Netherlands where I grew up it was custom for kids to go door to door with a bag, yell happy new year and you'd get candy! It's like trick or treating, which isn't a thing around here, only without the costumes. Great tradition when you're a kid
Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

When I was younger we used to go out to countdown parties but in recent years we prefer a more quiet and cozy celebration. we'll have a group of close friends over and we'll eat, snack, chat and watch the countdown on TV.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The last two years, we have gone to dinner and a movie. This year, my husbands favorite college team (OU) is in the playoffs and the game would cut into my movie time, so we will be staying home and watching sporting events on NYE and then going to the movies on the 1st.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our longest running NYE tradition is a sea food fest. We have crab legs and shrimp scampi (usually with alfredo and linguine) for dinner. We also always buy those silly glasses with the year on them and take a bunch of pictures with glasses and party hats. Last year my kids stayed up to midnight for the first time. Previous years we just counted down an hour or more early and put them to bed.

We had considered having a NYE party, but that was before we put an offer in on a house and decided to move. Now we are packing, working on things around this house to get it ready to put on the market, etc.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Before I had kids my friends and I used to meet up at one of our houses and everyone would cook, drink, celebrate and clean up together. The parties were epic and most of us got really hammered and we always had a blast.
Nowadays my husband and I stay home with the kids, mil usually comes over for dinner. We watch the fireworks (the few that are early enough for the children), but only do sparklers ourself. Put the kids to bed. Then hubby and I chill out on the couch watching an episode of our current favourite show. I like the quiet, non stressful New Years, but I do miss the awesome dinner parties we used to do with friends. Maybe we can start those up again when my kids and everyone else's kids get a bit older.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly I'm pretty ambivalent about New Year celebrations. I have zero desire to go out, crowds and chaos and all that. Often my husband's working. We usually just chill at home. We may do a bunch of appetizers and play games or watch movies. Some years we don't even do that. LOL
Old 12-30-2015, 10:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No traditions for us really... I won't be able to stay awake to midnight but we might watch the 9pm fireworks on TV. New Year's Day will be a bit more exciting though - we're taking the kids to the beach and on a tour of a lighthouse!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to dannethia

We stay in & try to stay up to see the New Year in but we never seem to make it
Old 12-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Since we had kids, we stay in and play board games, watch movies or play video games (I'm usually scrapping when video games is going on). I or my DH cook up some yummy food. The kids have typically made it to midnight so we'll probably do a countdown and make some noise. Our town does fireworks but we don't usually watch. I'd rather not drive around.

Before kids, we used to meet up with friends and eat out then attend the festivities.