Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How do you take care of yourself?

I've always heard how important it is to take care of yourself if you're going take care of others. That's a hard thing to do as a mama of littles (or bigs!). So, what are some things you do to take care of and love yourself?

I want to compile some ideas for a blog article I'm working on.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I set aside some "me time"
Is not always the same, but is some activity that I enjouy for me and have nothing to do with work or family.

Sometimes is a mani-pedi, hair done, an extra long shower using all the products I never use on daily bases.

I also try to have some time with my friends. We have a tavern two block from work and is easy to grab a drink or two after work waiting to pass the rush hour traffic. Is always good to speak "adult" and not work related.

And I enjoy lonely time. Sometimes I don´t mind to stay up late after everybody is sleep just to catch a movie or series. Or let my hubby had a "daddy & son" time on weekends for a couple of hours jut to be alone doing nothing (not even chores).

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I go to bed early, even if I don't go to sleep. I have this list routine of things that needs to be done before I can officially call it a day, so when I get those things done and crawl in bed I feel like I've 'clocked out.' The kids can come and go or whatever, but if they say they need me for something the answer is generally, "Sorry, I'm done for the day." LOL!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I make sure I read OR scrap (sometimes both ) every day. Even if it's just for half an hour.

I get my hair done every 4-6 weeks.

I get my eyebrows done every 6 weeks.

I don't do huge things because lesbehonest, there's just not time. It's amazing how much those "little" things help though.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I get all my work done during the day so that once the kids are in bed, I can do what I want. Chores and errands can wait; alone time cannot.

I go to church every week so I get 90 minutes to myself while the kids are having fun in Sunday School (even though my church doesn't call it that).

I sometimes save my shopping, even if it's just groceries, until after they're in bed so I can go and peruse without being hassled.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me taking care of myself means eating good food that takes care of my body and doing 20 minutes of yoga in the morning.

I also go to bed an hour before I plan to sleep just to have quiet time to read (I read in the living room often too but Cheyanne often has the TV on so I escape to my room for quiet ) I get tons of alone time since I work from home and Cheyanne is a busy teen, so I actually enjoy getting out of the house with people and make sure I do that for a couple hours a week - even if it's just shopping with a friend or going to a ball game - it's my social time, which is part of being good to me.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Scrapping is one of my main things I do for me. I usually spend at least a few minutes a night on it, and if I'm lucky I get a few hours.

I listen to audiobooks while I do monotonous chores like washing dishes and folding laundry.

When I can only spare a few minutes but need a mental break, I browse scrapbook layouts or planner inspiration on Instagram. Sometimes I go through my phone's photo gallery deleting photos so that I'm only copying the best to my computer and don't have to waste as much valuable computer time on photo organization.

This last one is new, and I have my fingers crossed that it will last. For years DH has worked long hours, and he finally decided enough is enough. He now comes home early (by which I mean 6:30 pm, after leaving for work at 7 am) two nights a week. On those nights, one of us does dinner and bedtime for all 3 kids while the other gets a few hours off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I get all my work done during the day so that once the kids are in bed, I can do what I want. Chores and errands can wait; alone time cannot.
That's always been my policy from the time we first had kids. Otherwise I was busy with the kids and house 24/7 and my only "break" was the little bit of sleep I managed to get. (Luckily things are much better now that they're older.) Whatever housework gets done during the day is *all* that gets done. After the kids go to bed I won't do house chores. A few nights a week I have lesson planning for my class that has to get done, but on other nights I scrap or do something I enjoy.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I scrap or read for "me" time and I get out with a girlfriend or some Mom friends a few times a month!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One of things I'm doing this year is taking time to call a friend or my mom or my sister each day. Taking 10-15 minutes to reconnect and have a conversation with someone makes me feel like I'm taking care of me. Some days it's just conversations with my online friends -but having that contact outside my house, outside of work is so important. Being sweet and checking on people that are having a hard time or that I haven't talked to in a awhile makes me feel good.

I also splurge on good smelling bubble bath and sugar scrub and treat myself to quiet bath once a week. I even put on a face mask while I soak so I feel like it's a mini spa night.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me its my aqua zumba class, chatting with friends online and in person but most of all for me to be useful sleep. Scrapping is up there but right now its just not grabbing me the way it did pre university

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I scrap.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
One of things I'm doing this year is taking time to call a friend or my mom or my sister each day. Taking 10-15 minutes to reconnect and have a conversation with someone makes me feel like I'm taking care of me. Some days it's just conversations with my online friends -but having that contact outside my house, outside of work is so important. Being sweet and checking on people that are having a hard time or that I haven't talked to in a awhile makes me feel good.
THIS is a great idea and falls in line with my goals this year of being more intentional.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

When my kids were small, I'd stay up later and read for an hour before bed. Yoga is also a very important to me. It helps me relax and get centered.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, this is something I need to work on. I don't take care of me. I put everyone else first all the time and it shows. Love reading what everyone else does! I look forward to your article!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:00 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

so many great ideas, thank you for the inspiration.

one of the things that I've been doing for a couple of months now is creating a smilie face and taking a photo of it, doing some photo manipulation although the phone apps are little limited, and posting it on my facebook. i do this most days.

WARNING: This post has probably veen edited multiple times to fix all my stupid typos.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also find as I don't drive and use buses & trains, I tend to use the time to listen to music and generally chill out. I'll be going to school in another city so I have a 3 hour round trip commute twice a week so will use that time as me time.

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv