Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Teen boys...

Y'all. Anyone else struggling into the teenage years with a boy? Mine turned 13 back in March and idk why I thought the teen years with a boy wouldn't be so bad. What is the DEAL with him? The hormones, the attitude, the aggression. Seriously, who thought having a teenager, a preteen, and a TWO year old was a good idea???

Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My son is only ten, but I'm already feeling the shift in his personality. He is more aloof and less likely to do things that are 'babyish' or uncool. He also does a good share of sulking, but I actually think he picked these things up from his friends. He is still pretty sweet, easygoing, bubbly, and very likable 90% of the time. So I am enjoying it while it lasts.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I feel like I wrote this post word for word.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's girls, too. My 13 year old gives me a run for my money. I think it's just the teen years in general...boy or girl.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My 10 year old son has been behaving like a teenager since he was about four. I am dreading what lies ahead...
Old 10-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, mine just turned 10. Don't scare me. Nine was my favorite age so far, just let that last.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

hmm... no... no... no I don't want to hear about this... I've been having a few issues with J and he is nine. I'm not handling the talking back well... I know that he is trying to work things out in his mind as he moves into the dialectic stage... but to me it's disrespect... *sigh*
Old 10-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have one 18 and one 13. So far 11-13 is the toughest. There's just no logic to those hormones and life is more complicated etc. I love the teen years though ( knock on wood ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Evidently I've been lucky LOL - Christopher wasn't too bad as a teen... he went through a brief spell when he was about 12 or 13 but his father nipped that in the bud (must be a Marine thing ). He was always more mature for his age and then DH died when Christopher was 15 so he became even more mature after that.

Cheyanne hasn't been too bad either. At 16 she has come back from "the other side" quickly in terms of her attitude, etc. She is genuinely a great kid - great grades, great morals and a good head on her shoulders when it comes to boys and peer pressure, so I can't complain.

Both of my kids are probably what a lot of parents would consider "mouthy"... they were always told to question things, even if it came from us. We always wanted them to learn for themselves and not follow anyone, even us. They were always taught to question things with respect and not be aggressively opinionated but not to let anyone walk over them either... it's hard to explain but it's not something I regret one bit.

Last edited by mariewilcox; 10-19-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am not looking forward to that day when my son is a teenager.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son will be 13 on thursday. So far, I would say he was the worst at 11. However, I think a lot of it has to do with when they start hitting puberty. For him, it was early. My friends that have boys the same age are complaining more now and I really think that's the difference.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have really enjoyed the teen years. If you look at it like toddler 2.0 it's easier because it's more of the same... they're stretching their independence and growing at a remarkable rate.

My boys are 18. One of them gave me a run for my money for a phase... I'd say between 13-14 years old. Then 15 hit and John and I realized one day that things had been much calmer. He was able to be more logical and reasonable and we all worked together much more easily.

Eden is 14 now and is coming into this thing where she doesn't want to tell me things, only her friends. So she started seeing a therapist because with all this divorce stuff happening I can't afford for her main source of advice to be another teenagers, lol!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

mine will be 19 next month......when did that happen?! He did the mouthy thing, the stay away from me thing, moody and tried getting a little big for his britches. We worked it out (losing cell phone worked well also, lol) and he outgrew it. I would call him on it but also clarify that I knew changes were happening within him--that fight for independence, caught between a kit and a teen, hormones

I work in a high school as a Youth Counselor so am surrounded with this all day every day
Old 10-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't complain... so far the teen years have been my favorite.... in fact the older my kids get the more I enjoy them and the easier they are to deal with. It makes me look at little kids and think how much I disliked those stages... don't get me wrong, little kids are cute, and all those firsts and fun times are great but I have realized I was not built for those younger stages.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest turned 13 last week, and so far things haven't been too bad. Yes, he's sometimes a little obnoxious, but when it comes to the big things we can trust him to be responsible and make good decisions. I have a feeling we haven't hit the worst of his adolescence yet, but I'm holding out hope this is how things are going to stay! (Before anyone starts throwing rotten tomatoes at my house, I can already see the writing on the wall with my 10 and 7 year olds...)

Last edited by rach3975; 10-19-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Jack is almost twelve, and I have my fingers crossed that he's going to stay this sweet & lovable forever. ; ) Sometimes I think about how different I was in 6th grade (into boys & avoiding my mom & learning to cuss), and I think that we made a great decision to raise our kids overseas!

The thing that irks me the most, though, is how unwilling he & his 9 year old brother are to be the subjects of my scrapbook pages anymore. I used to make the BEST pages; I would just dress them up in WHATEVER I WANTED and make a page. But not anymore. : ( They hate pictures now; it's like their passive aggressive way of hating me.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

i have an 18 year old boy. He's my first so when he was little i was absolutely OBSESSED with him but he has been nothing but a headache the last 2 years

My theory is that God created the teenage years so we won't miss them so much when they move out of home......
Old 10-20-2016, 07:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitartas View Post
My theory is that God created the teenage years so we won't miss them so much when they move out of home......
LOL! Sounds plausible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitartas View Post

That's my theory too. I can't bear the thought of mine not being around all the time and wanting to hang out with me, at the moment... but I'm guessing it will be a different story later on!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
They hate pictures now; it's like their passive aggressive way of hating me.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
I have one 18 and one 13. So far 11-13 is the toughest. There's just no logic to those hormones and life is more complicated etc. I love the teen years though ( knock on wood ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. Logan is 15 now, and for the most part, she's so much easier and pleasant to deal with now than she was a few years ago. I think 12 was by far the toughest age. Lots and lots of tears shed during that school year.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DS is 14 and he is mostly a sweet kid but definitely has a bad case of the "know-it-alls". I hear "yeah, mom, I already know that" a lot (complete with eye roll).