Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Red face Hi, my name is Kate and I collect scrap kits

I have kind of been suspecting that I had more than a few unused kits, but didn't really have any way of knowing for sure. Then I started using Lightroom to organize not only my photos, but my scrap supplies and layouts. One of the tags I give to my kits is how many times I've used it. I'd like to use each kit once for every dollar I paid for it. That's not a hard-and-fast rule, but I'd like to get there more often than not. Anyway, I'm almost done tagging my layouts with the supplies I used and I just checked how many unused kits I have. 129 . Even if I don't count the 7 kits I bought this weekend (which I know I'll use soon) and assume that I can check off one kit for each of the 15 layouts I haven't tagged yet (in reality, it'll probably be closer to 5 kits I can check off), that still leaves me over 100 unused kits . I guess the good news is that I don't ever have to buy a new kit and I can go on scrapping forever. I know myself well enough to know that I won't stop buying, but hopefully this will motivate me to use what I have and not buy nearly as much.

Does anyone else have this problem? Please tell me that I'm not the only one!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ummmm, you're not the only one I just started going through my kits this past weekend also to see how many unused ones I have. I haven't finished yet because I had to stop and go to basketball games and do housework but I plan to finish today. I don't think it's 100, but I could be disillusioned as to that fact! I love your idea of using each kit one time for each dollar spent!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought my 35+ items was bad......eek!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

So you have 129 kits you haven't used at all!?!?! Or you have 129 kits you haven't use per the amount of money you paid for them!?!?

If you have 129 kit you haven't even scrapped once with that's a bit much but if you have 129 kits you haven't used per the amount of money you paid for them that's not bad at all...I mean even if you bought them all with SR at 40% off each kit averaged about $4 bucks each...to have 129 kits you haven't used 4 times is not bad!!

I have 29 unused kits that I have bought, 9 of those are ones I have bought within the last 2 weeks to use for my December Daily...so really only 17 unused kits.

I have 11 unused "free" kits/elements packs I haven't use. These are freebies that I have gathered from blogs or FWP kits.

Of course I don't shop a ton (I've only spent $120 dollars this year to date), thanks to my awesome CT gigs....whose to say how many unused kits I'd have if I shopped more!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'll join the support group... I know I have many unused kits... and just deleted a bunch when I went on a purging spree... My downfall are element packs... can't resist them... and don't seem to use them..
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'd have more (meaning: more than those 129) if I didn't delete all those kits I bought ages ago when I first started scrapping and bought lots of stuff that didn't work for me.

I don't count used/unused - I have many unused, but I noticed with pleasure that I truly do tend to come back to older and unused ones if the LO "requires" it (tagging helped me a lot with this). I remember my first purchase at SSD from January 2008 that I only used this year. That said, it happens that I no longer like some.

Talk about culture of fast consuming. Sometimes it kinda makes me annoyed. Why do we do this?

Last edited by adrianka; 11-28-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I am afraid of counting, but I know for sure that I have several hundred unused kit. I could easily scrap a page every single day for a whole year and never use the same kit. I simply love scrap kits and I can't get enough of them.
I might have to consider a scrapping budget to control my urge.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm like Adriana. I buy what I like, knowing that I'll get to it when I feel it's right. Sometimes I use really old kits because they caught my eye at the moment I was scrapping and it fit my need.
I don't feel the need to scrap right away with the kits I buy.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to collect kits... but I've gotten much better at it in the last year and would only buy kits after I've used up most of my unused folder.... I'm like Rebecca... I'm addicted to elements packs but always forget about them, since I'm usually a one kit scrapper.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is why I don't count or have an unused folder. I don't want to know!!!! I like my "problem" and I don't want a 12 step program to fix it!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Elizabeth, it's 129 kits that I haven't used at all. Well, it's acutally 126. There were 3 layouts that I hadn't tagged that used purchased kits. That's totally ridiculous!

I'm not too concerned (obviously) with using a kit right away. But, if I average 3 layouts a week and only use kits that I haven't used at all, it'll take me 42 weeks to use all those kits. I think I'd feel comfortable keeping 20-30 unused kits, although I'd be happier if I'd used all my kits at least once. I have a really hard time not buying new supplies, though, so I guess that means that I need to scrap a lot more!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I "use" to have an unused folder and then I decided to get rid of it because it hurt my brain LOL!!!! now I have my kits organized in to themes and I seem to use them alot more that way! I do have all of my previews for kits in a preview folder and alot of times I go there first I usually know if I have used the kit or not buy looking at the preview and I am with Elizabeth on having AWESOME CT's or I would REALLY BE BROKE
Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i am a total collector! it's so pathetic. i want to have mojo to scrap but i don't. so instead i collect and pet them often.

my prrrrrreeeeessssshhhhhiiiiious.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I can join the "A whole lot of Unused kits club"! I haven't counted them yet, but I know it's over 100! I too, like to collect them-it makes me happy to see all their colors and potential. I am thinking that in the New Year I should make a budget and stick to it each month. I need to look at a new kit, wish list it, go through my stash and see if I have something similar, wait awhile, then go back a couple of weeks later to see if I really "need" it. We'll see!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
Elizabeth, it's 129 kits that I haven't used at all. Well, it's actually 126. There were 3 layouts that I hadn't tagged that used purchased kits. That's totally ridiculous!

I'm not too concerned (obviously) with using a kit right away. But, if I average 3 layouts a week and only use kits that I haven't used at all, it'll take me 42 weeks to use all those kits. I think I'd feel comfortable keeping 20-30 unused kits, although I'd be happier if I'd used all my kits at least once. I have a really hard time not buying new supplies, though, so I guess that means that I need to scrap a lot more!
Well as long as you're not buying scrap kits instead of food and you are ok with spending your money that way I don't see a problem!!! It's called a hobby for a reason....you are suppose to indulge yourself!!

Now if you really want to get your stash down then set a goal for yourself....a very realistic goal!!! Like you have to scrap with one unused kit before you can shop....then if you are use to shopping every Saturday then you can guarantee that at least one kit will get scrapped with a week and at the end of the year you will have at least knocked that number down some....or at least not made it any bigger!!!

I'll tell you the best thing that came from me having an unused scrap kit folder and setting a goal.......i actually scrapped photos that had been on my HD for years and I got those memories on PAPER!!! I also don't really care about the unused kits....BUT I do care about all those memories floating around in my head and in very real danger of being FORGOTTEN!!!

This year I've scrapped with 41 unused kits on my HD that were from 2010 and older....that in addition to all the new kits I used I got 41 more memories scrapped then I wouldn't of if I didn't force my self to be accountable for unused kits!!!

Of course this will only work if you buy kits with photos/memories in mind that you already have!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I am afraid to count mine but I know the number is ridockulous Last year I set a goal of using at least 10 unused kits before I could buy any new kits...I stuck to it for a while and used up a lot of really old kits I had in my stash at the beginning of the year and then I faltered and couldn't help myself from shopping...darn SSD designers
Old 11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I can join this club, only I KNOW I have way more than 129 unused kits, I have hundreds of unused kits LOL. I know I could stop buying and easily have enough new kits to scrap with for pretty much all of time, but that's just it, I can't seem to stop buying LOL. Sometimes I slow down or stop buying for a month or two and try to make myself use just what I have, and it works temporarily....but only temporarily :P, the kits here are addictive LOL!

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 11-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My goal is to use two kits before I buy one new one. I think that's a very reasonable goal and will eventually help me to get down to a reasonable number of unused kits (although I probably should have waited until after black friday to set this goal). I totally agree, girls, the SSD designers make it very difficult to stick to any sort of resolution about not buying kits.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

A couple of years ago I went through and did something similar with my stash, I had over 100 unused kits. That freaked me out. Now I keep track of my purchases and unused kits and I no longer shop much. Sadly, I still have about 8 kits from other stores to use, mind you I stopped shopping elsewhere when I discovered how many unused kits I had, so its been at least 2 years since I bought them. Wasteful and I am so, so not a wasteful person.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You inspired me to count, and I've got 24 unused kits right now. (No idea about element packs or templates, and I don't count things like free-with-purchase collabs or all the individual minis from breaking up a Quarterly Assortment.) I'm comfortable with that since I will scrap with most of them eventually. I thought it was going to be worse since I haven't had as much scrapping time as usual over the last 4-6 months, but I tried to also buy less and I guess this is proof I succeeded. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't figure this out until after the BF sale, LOL.

I will confess that I have A LOT of underused kits, kits I've only used for 1 layout or card so far that I wanted to do a lot more with. I'll get back to some of them, but no way will I ever get as much use as I should from everything in my stash. There are always more great things coming out, and as long as I stay within my scrap budget I'm just going to enjoy buying them.

Last edited by rach3975; 11-28-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL, I just ran across this thread I started last year and I haven't changed at all!! I had 129 unused kits at the time and was resolved to use more than I bought in the future. Ha! I should have known better! I had to check how many unused kits I have right now... 133! I know that I have a few kits that I've used and haven't tagged yet, but I also have removed kits from my hard drive and lightroom catalog, so I'm probably behind where I was last year. I'm not sure I care though. I really like being able to shop my stash when I want to make a layout. I really like what Elizabeth said about this being a hobby and about getting memories scrapped. I guess one of the things I'm thankful about this Thanksgiving is being able to support my digital scrapbooking hobby in the manner that I enjoy.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I stopped counting how many unused kits I have. Probably at least 100.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I wish I had that problem!!! I don't have many kits that I haven't used. I think I have pretty much scrapped with all but maybe 2-3 kits that I own. But I haven't bought in quite a while. I can't afford to spend $50/month like I was for a bit (even though I was on a couple of CT's at the time). I am probably going to spend $30-40 here in the next day, and get some new kits. I got some templates already and hope to pick up a few more, to help me re-use some of the kits I do have, since I need to, out of necessity, really!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a ton of unused kits. I know that I have about 30 that I bought that I haven't touched not counting all the ones from past daily digi and the fix clubs, which I stopped subscribing to when I realized I had not even unzipped them from like the past 6 months. I usually have plenty to scrap with just with my CTs, but I'm one of those people who just has to buy when I see a kit I love, even if I don't need any more. I have thought about the fact that if only make 1 page per kit, then that is getting pretty expensive if I spend 6 bucks on a kit, so I have been lately trying to use them more than once each. I do have an unused folder for CT stuff and an unused folder for bought stuff, and I try to pull kits from there whenever I scrap unless I need something specific.

Eeeeek - just thinking about how many kits I'll have in that unusued folder after tomorrow is super exciting!!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I prefer to stay in denial :-) I don't want to even count because I know it's a lot... like wayyyyy too many!
So I'll just not count and stay in denial, lol
Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's funny. I usually try to use everything once in the month after I bought it (though there are a few kits I bought in sales etc. that I've had for a long time and just never used). Generally, I try to buy what I know I'll use because I have specific pics to go with them. There are only a few element packs I bought which I haven't used yet, but I'm sure some day they'll come in handy. When it comes to ellie packs, I find I lean towards using certain types of ellies, like stitches, alphas, photo pockets, etc.

And the thing that makes it easy for me to not forget about my element and alpha packs is: everything that isn't a full kit, goes into an ellie folder which has a separate folder with all the previews of stuff it contains. So, whenever I want to add something to my page, I look through those previews and that's a good reminder of what I have.

In fact, I used to keep all my goodies on an external hd, but recently I got a new computer, and for some ominous reason the ehd doesn't like to work with the new one, and not having the ellies ready at hand got me so frustrated that I copied the whole several gigs of ellies which I use preferredly onto my hard drive for ready access. Now I'm a happy scrapper again, though I also need to remind myself to scrap with the full range of products I've purchased even recently ...

I wish I had the money to spend on stuff whether I use them or not ... lol
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to add that I have been scrapping for over six years so my scrap suply has been added to over that time and I buy something intending to use it or just because I love it so much. Plus The Daily Digi, monthly kits from DST (my husband bought me a diamond membership last year as either a christmas or birthday gift), free kits & supplies from designer freebies, the one they used to do here at SSD which was a sampler so you got a mini kit from each designer...Ive used some of the minis but not all....the list goes on and on for my unused kits. A lot were not ones I really "paid" for as in the typical cost of 5-8 dollars a kit. So I dont feel to bad that they are still unused.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyfizzy View Post
i am a total collector! it's so pathetic. i want to have mojo to scrap but i don't. so instead i collect and pet them often.

my prrrrrreeeeessssshhhhhiiiiious.
This is so me! Love it!

Stephanie
Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
This is why I don't count or have an unused folder. I don't want to know!!!! I like my "problem" and I don't want a 12 step program to fix it!
I'm with Tara on this one lol. I prefer to not even begin to estimate how many I have unused.

Although I will say that about once a year I try to go through and weed out the stuff that I know I will NEVER EVER use or have used so much that I'm tired over it. Normally there isn't much I get rid of but even if it is only 5 kits I throw away I feel a bit better lol.

Scrap Kit Hoarder!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I just feel the urge to say "Hi Kate" in that monotone voice.

I'm a kit mixer so technically I shouldn't qualify. But I do. I'm to scared to even count
Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I never count them because I know it's a lots, just count how many beautiful kits that I like but haven't bought
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started tagging my kits with the 'Month of Purhcase'. We I sit to scrap for the month, I always look in that folder first (to use the newest stuff), but it also keeps me aware of what I bought last month, but haven't used yet!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think I am worse.
I buy 2-3 kits a week average.. But I don't even make one layout a week average at this moment. Simple math here.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have 4 kits that I haven't used, but 3 out of the 4 have pages started, but not yet finished. I do have a few non-kit items I haven't used.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely refuse to count, cause if I do I will feel guilty for shopping this weekend. Not going to ruin this good sale with some common sense.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Not the only one Kate though I have not even gone through mine to know how many I have unused!!! Ummmm maybe I shouldn't ever do that. LOL
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just continue to remind myself that my digital scrapping hobby is MUCH MUCH MUCH less money then all the money I use to spend when I was doing rubber stamping/paper scrapping! So even though I have a ton of digital kits I haven't touched yet, I'm still doing way better than I did in the paper world, LOL.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in the "not going to count them" "no reason to ruin a good mood" club on this subject. Only in the past 6 months, did I start a not used folder by store. And there are still QUITE A FEW things in each of those folders. Considering I spend most of my free time doing layouts with CT products, I really have no business buying anything else but that does not seem to stop me when I see just the right word art, etc.

Now I feel like I should introduce myself as a digi scrap supply addict.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

First, this is great that this is a year old thread and Kate is worse off than ever (it means the designers get better every year!).
Second, since I've scrapped 5 pages this year and spent well over 10 times that, yeah you could say I'm in the collector club.

Plus these darn sales lure me in...I don't do the points (like I should) so I get desperate and buy during a good sale here, but then I don't scrap because I'm too busy downloading/organizing/petting my new kits. Oh well...when I'm old and gray!

And yes once again I bought KCB's entire Christmas collection because I had to, even though I haven't actually scrapped a Christmas page in like 2 years. But they are all so pretty and they go so nicely together as a set...I simply can't say no!

But after heavily investing in my photography this year, I am thinking I'm about to turn a corner on my non-scrapping...I hope. Like PP said...its not the kits that kill me its the memories not scrapped.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 16 unused SSD kits on my laptop now and around 10 more on my EHD, a few months ago I told myself I wasn't buying them like I used to until I got my unused folder down a lot, and it worked.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
First, this is great that this is a year old thread and Kate is worse off than ever (it means the designers get better every year!).
I prefer to think of it as having more of a selection, rather than being worse off!

You're right, though, the designers totally rocked the last year. Plus, we had several awesome new designers here. I'd better get scrapping or this time next year I could have an even bigger selection of yet-to-be-scrapped-with goodies .
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

i have no idea how that happens to you guys, lol. I have used all of my kits at least once, but then again I dont usually create within a kit, I mix stuff up,so i may not have used the whole kit.

Heather

Creating for:
Anna Aspnes
Creashens & Vinnie Pearce
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I organized this morning and tagged previews and it's kind of scary how many have not been used yet. However, looking at them, I've found a couple of patterns:

1) Notoriously bad about not using collaboration kits, same goes for the FWP

2) I've also stopped downloading the freebies because I don't tend to scrap with them

3) I really need to stay away from other shops. I've got some gorgeous kits, but when you can't use them for challenges, they sit.

4) A lot of kits bought to scraplift a specific layout but I don't have pictures for (yet). One of these days I'll get around to posing my kids just so I can finally do that scraplift.

5) I would feel a lot worse if everything weren't purchased during sales or Sweet Rewards.