Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Any ladies in South Korea

Well, we find out in a couple of days if my husband will be assigned a position in South Korea and I am a little bit stressed! I don't mind living in Asia, we used to live in Singapore and Dubai, so that is not a concern for me since I like to experience new cultures ect. I am very concerned about school for my son...he is in 7th grade and we could be there for 4-5 years! We would be near Busan and from what I have seen online, the schools for expat children are not very good. So, our other option would be to commute with him on weekends or place him in boarding school when he gets to HS.

Any one have any experience with school issues like this in a foreign country? I can't even get excited about the idea of moving until I have his education figured out.

TIA
Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Is homeschooling using something like K-12 not an option?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We were stationed there for three years. My kids went to on base DOD school though. (elementary) They had buses that came and got them. Have you looked up the FRG for your up coming unit on FB? A lot of times they can give you lots of info.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately, we are not military (hubby is oil and gas) so we don't have DOD schools to fall back on. I wish we did!

Darcy, while I am a certified science teacher and have taught home school groups...I think/know that my son and I would kill each other! He actually stated that if the schools were not up to his standard I would need to home school him while we are there but I just don't see it happening.

I guess we will just wait and see how things shake out in the next week or so...and visit all the schools we can when we go for our initial visit. I just hate the idea of sending him to boarding school!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I've met a lot of moms who, like you, think they could never manage homeschooling their child because of the "kill each other" thing LOL! .... but they give it a shot and it goes really really well. Surprisingly so. Older kids can be kept accountable to completing their work and do most of their schooling independently with some guidance & support from you... and there are lots of options for classes over the internet to supplement. He's old enough to realize that the only alternative would be away from home, so that might help him to appreciate it (and you) a lot more. I'd say before you send him off to boarding school give homeschooling a try.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Have you looked to see if there are any expat groups or anything in that area? They may have some good information for you.

We're military and don't have kids so we didn't have to deal with the school situation when we lived in Korea, but it seemed like most of the people we knew who didn't have their kids in the DOD schools, home schooled instead. Since you're trained as a teacher it might not be as bad as you think given your son's age, plus it might give you extra freedom to travel and explore the culture than you'd have if he was in a more traditional school.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

also check like Darcy said and see if you can get k-12 there. It's virtual online school so you wouldn't really be his teacher. There's also Switched On Schoolhouse that's online and Alpha Omega Academy

Even though you are expats do you have a US base address?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe