Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Point and Shoot cameras.............

Can you link me up to one that you have and you LOVE and takes great quality photos? TIA!!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I got this one a few months ago to carry with me when I don't want to lug around my Rebel... I really like it...

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...6441881&sr=1-2

Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My Rebel broke a couple of months ago, and I was in the market for a P&S as backup anyway, so I decided to splurge and get this one. It has full manual control, and is a little on the pricier side, but it's a nice camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...6442672&sr=1-1
Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm normally a Canon girl but I just got the Nikon Coolpix S4000 as my new P&S and I'm really loving it so far. It has a wider zoom lens than most which I love and it's got a great high-def display screen too.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-S4000-Vi.../ref=de_a_smtd
Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well...in the past few weeks I spent a ton of time reading point and shoot reviews (finally got a new one for my birthday!). I was looking for a P&S with HD video.

I've been a Canon girl forever, but decided to branch out and ended up purchasing this one: Panasonic Lumix ZS7 .

2nd choice: Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5V

3rd choice: Canon Powershot SX210IS.

Someone summed up a bunch of reviews this way and from what I read I think I agree- "If HD video is high priority, I think it is ZS7 > HX5V > SX210. If high quality indoor shot is high priority, then HX5V > ZS7 > SX210. If image stabilization, focus speed, colorful outdoor shots are important, then ZS7 > SX210 > HX5V." One more thing I really liked about the ZS7 is the LCD screen. It has almost twice as many pixels and since none of the cameras in this "class" have an optical viewfinder, I thought this might help me adjust better.

I don't actually have the camera yet (arrives tomorrow), but hoping it lives up to my expectations! Hope you find one you love, Cindy!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Awesome thread! I need a new point and shoot. My girls keep stealing mine (it was super cheap - and the quality stinks)!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am looking at one of these 2. They are pricey, but have the ability to shoot in RAW and manual mode.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...6451100&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../dp/B002LITT56
Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't own one myself. Have to admit, I am point and shoot challenged after 1.5 years with my DSLR. I always stand there like an idiot trying to figure out how to turn of automatic flash light and such. I wonder if that's normal...(or if my brain just got very lazy)

But anyway, I recently saw some pics from my cousin. He has one of the Canon Powershots and loves it. Very nice photos. And he assured me, that he can still find all the basic menu structures from the old old OLD Canons in it.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the same one as Nikki and I really like it. I call it my purse camera. It never leaves my bag.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Canon SD790 IS

I keep it in Manual 95% of the time. I have my big camera too, but this one goes everywhere with me.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the same one Nikki has but in light grey and I LOVE it! It is my purse camera and I love that its so small and I can take it everywhere and not lug my DSLR around!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
I have the Canon SD790 IS

I keep it in Manual 95% of the time. I have my big camera too, but this one goes everywhere with me.
I have this one too as my "take everywhere" camera. It is also one that I let Landon use when I am using my "big" camera (Nikon D60). It has taken great shots. I am happy with it. I am considering getting a "bigger" p&s due to wanting more manual controls. I know it will be a little bit bulkier but I think I am okay with that. I have just gotten so use to my DSLR that I want all that control in a smaller camera too! LOL
Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I got the Panasonic Lumix ZS7 about a month ago and it is great! I wanted the HD video and a quality camera. I wasn't concerned about indoor shots because I can always tweak them in PS....I haven't taken it out of auto mode yet....Here are some shots I took with it and a small review:
http://www.pennysmiscellany.com/archives/239

I'm quite impressed with it so far!!! The baseball boys post on my blog also shows some more shots with the ZS7 - the zoom is AMAZING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Well...in the past few weeks I spent a ton of time reading point and shoot reviews (finally got a new one for my birthday!). I was looking for a P&S with HD video.

I've been a Canon girl forever, but decided to branch out and ended up purchasing this one: Panasonic Lumix ZS7 .

2nd choice: Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5V

3rd choice: Canon Powershot SX210IS.

Someone summed up a bunch of reviews this way and from what I read I think I agree- "If HD video is high priority, I think it is ZS7 > HX5V > SX210. If high quality indoor shot is high priority, then HX5V > ZS7 > SX210. If image stabilization, focus speed, colorful outdoor shots are important, then ZS7 > SX210 > HX5V." One more thing I really liked about the ZS7 is the LCD screen. It has almost twice as many pixels and since none of the cameras in this "class" have an optical viewfinder, I thought this might help me adjust better.

I don't actually have the camera yet (arrives tomorrow), but hoping it lives up to my expectations! Hope you find one you love, Cindy!

Penny

Last edited by Penny Springmann; 06-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Awesome, thanks for all the info everyone!! I've got an older P&S along with my rebel, but I want to upgrade my P&S because my other one is kind of bulky and I want something for my purse as well.
This is totally helpful!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i can tell you what NOT to get! I have a canon sx1 which i absolutely hate! If u use the auto settings (which personally i do with a point and shoot, not with my dslr) its useless. It pretty much cant take a non blurry photo without the flash on, and the flash is awful. ridiculously bright. Im going to sell it and get a lumix as someone mentioned above. All my photographer friends have the lumix as their point and shoot and rave about them.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just purchased an Canon SD1400 (as of an hour ago!)... anyone have this camera? I'm nervous to take it out of the box... it didn't get the best reviews on Amazon (saw that after I got it)... now thinking I should take it back for the SD1300.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just ordered the Canon Powershot G11 after reading all the great reviews. It should be here this week. I too was looking for something to stick in my purse so I didn't have to lug my big girl camera around everywhere. The G11 can still shoot in RAW and you can still do manual shooting. Good luck in deciding.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nikon Coolpix P90 and I love it, but it is kinda big for a point and shoot.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I got the Canon sx210is for Christmas and I totally LOVE it!!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I have this one
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot...48532&sr=1-107

and this one
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot...548607&sr=1-94

and they are both WONDERFUL!!!! the 1st one takes AWESOME night shots of kiddos sleeping without waking them!!! that is my FAVORITE feature of that camera! my DD 17 has the 2nd one, but I had it in Kuwait and it was FABULOUS! I carried it everywhere in my pocket!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have this one -- http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus...6564782&sr=1-1

Its great for the kids to play with as its shockproof and waterproof as well which is good, as its been in the bath before and no problems!

MY BLOG | PINTEREST

BIG FAN!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I have a Canon PowerShot SX20IS (12.1 megapixels)

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDwQ8wIwAg#

I was sold on it when I was looking at the store and I could zoom in on the other side of the store (Best Buy - pretty big store) with just the optical zoom.

It takes great pictures outside, the zoom is great, the autofocus is much better than other digital cameras that I have owned, and the image stabilization works quite well as long at the light is good so that the shutter speed is quick.

My main complaint is the flash isn't all that great - it looks like you must be able to mount a better flash on top, but I've never explored that option. It is a bit bulky for a purse, but I put up with that because I think it takes better pics than some of the smaller digital cameras that I've owned before.

Good luck choosing - it's a tough decision!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
I am looking at one of these 2. They are pricey, but have the ability to shoot in RAW and manual mode.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...6451100&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../dp/B002LITT56
Thank you so much for this link up!!!!!!!!!!

I had to bump this thread again to brag about my hubby. I have been looking for a new P&S where I would have more manual control like my big camera (Nikon D60) but have it in a smaller package to put in my purse. This thread really got me looking and comparing. My hubby and I went to Best Buy yesterday to get his father's day gift early but I had to TOUCH the cameras. So, I totally fell in love with the Canon Powershot G11. Seriously. In love. I played with it for a long time and was asking questions. I had already decided just from my research online that I would probably want it and have talked my DH ear off about it. Well, I got sidetracked by our little 5 yr old wanting to look at wii games. When it was time to check out......the camera was in DH hands!!!!!!! HOLY COW! It was my anniversary gift (which happens to be sunday along with father's day). So I guess the 12 year gift is camera. LOL

Just had to thank everyone for there input on this thread and brag on my wonderful man.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tara that is so awesome that your DH surprised you with the new camera!! And Happy Anniversary on Sunday

Kelsie dropped my cheap Kodak P&S back in April so I'm needing a new one for my purse too. I was looking at the Samsung Dual Views (they have the LCD screens on the front & back) but I'm just not sure. Our HDTV is a Samsung and we love it but I hated the Kodak and so I'm thinking I just want to stick with another Canon since I love my S2IS & XTi. So now I'm looking at the Canon SD1300IS - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035FZJKI
Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I have the same one as Nikki. It does great in low light and killer outdoors. It's super small and great to bring everywhere. DH and I fight over who gets to keep it in their purse (yes, DH has a man purse).