Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default okay designers- how did you get started?

just curious. i've pondered the idea of designing and seeing what would come of it. i tried before, and didn't really... do much. it was bad timing. but i think i wanna try again. so i have questions for the lovely SSD designers.
1) what made you want to design?
2) what programs do you use?
3) what advice can you offer people wanting to get started?
thanks in advance! (:

Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

1. I wanted to start designing because I was tired of the hours of my full-time job. I was a dental assistant, and I was leaving the house at 6:30am and not getting home til 6:30pm. So, I asked a designer friend if she would coach me and teach me the basics. I was really really really fortunate to get to start my desiging career here at SSD. That was about 2 1/2 years ago now.

2. I use Photoshop CS4.

3. I would say to really find your own style... something that is different from what is already out there. There are SO many designers these days that in order to be successful, you really want to stand out from the rest.

As a side note... I totally credit designing/working at SSD for my recent marriage. Without SSD, I never would've been able to work from home, so I wouldn't have been able to spend the time with Jeff and get to know him like I did. We lived 300 miles apart, and I often took my laptop to his house and worked while I was there. If I was still a dental assistant, I wouldn't have been able to drive up to see him nearly as much, and I don't think we ever would've gotten married.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1) what made you want to design?

I started off just making fun backgrounds and stuff to go with my photos for my own personal photo albums - I didn't really know about digiscrapping as a hobby, so once I found the digiscrapping community I was already fiddling around with it a bit.

2) what programs do you use? PSCS3

3) what advice can you offer people wanting to get started?

You've got to really love the whole design process. There are a ton of people doing this and many don't make very much money. Of course there are some who do quite well, but when you break it down to an hourly wage it's still not a ton. There are good opportunities out there for those who are willing to put the time in to learn technique, develop an identifiable style and promote themselves, but it doesn't come easy and there will likely be some period in which it seems like you put in a ton of time for very little return. You need to love the design process to get you through the rough patches.

Last edited by Misty Cato; 12-12-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Misty and Libby, does that mean it's not necessary to have a software like Adobe Illustrator to design?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do have Illustrator, and I use it sometimes. I don't use it regularly enough to call it an essential part of my designing tools (the girls who do more hand-drawn art would disagree though. LOL)
Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do use Illustrator. It's definitely an advantage, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. It really depends on your style.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Watching this thread for sure. I love hearing how designers got started and any advice!