Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Big favor

This might be a lot to ask but I have a giant favor. I have mentioned before that shadows are my nemesis. I use Affinity on my iPad because I like to take it with me. (Going to New York tomorrow and bringing my iPad so I can scrap on the plane).

My favor is Affinity uses shadows very differently than Photoshop. I can pull in a .PSD file and “copy” the shadow off of a layout to save and use on other layouts. My problem is I can not seem to create/figure out how to make realistic looking shadows.....SO, would anyone be willing to send me a .psd file of a layout that has a lot of shadows so that I can copy them and make me a set?

I had a set years go that i used as a base but I can not find them.

I’ve tried using the shadows on the templates I use and they are ok, but I really want to be able to do something like this...

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...ourney&cat=516

Or this

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...my-day&cat=500

I love the shadows on these!!

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2020, 10:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Shawn, the only problem with this is that if they were to share a page in PSD for you to copy the shadows they would also be sharing all the elements and papers (and contents) of a kit they got. Most likely this would violate the TOU policy of the designer/designers.

Do you know how to modify a shadow in Affinity? Maybe you would get more feedback/help if you ask more for what settings people prefer for their shadows on certain elements. Does that makes sense?

Old 03-03-2020, 10:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Someone could always make a template and share shadows on that instead of an actual layout with a designers product. I would do it but I’m battling a sickness and an already in bed. Tomorrow I’m busy with errand running for said sickness and I won’t be able to get you a template psd before you leave.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Someone could always make a template and share shadows on that instead of an actual layout with a designers product. I would do it but I’m battling a sickness and an already in bed. Tomorrow I’m busy with errand running for said sickness and I won’t be able to get you a template psd before you leave.
That's a great idea with the template but I use style shadows that I then modify, but I bet someone will be able to help you out.

Wendy, feel better.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've found the problem with Affinity shadows is that they are not proportionate. So if you copy a journal card style to a small button it doesn't act like you might expect from Photoshop. So you end up having to create Affinity styles for both size of element and depth of shadow. I've almost found it's easier to use two or three shadows and then update them when I use them.

Did you know that Grace Lee has a set of Affinity iPad shadows in a FB group that you can play with?
Old 03-03-2020, 11:59 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by staciahall View Post
I've found the problem with Affinity shadows is that they are not proportionate. So if you copy a journal card style to a small button it doesn't act like you might expect from Photoshop. So you end up having to create Affinity styles for both size of element and depth of shadow. I've almost found it's easier to use two or three shadows and then update them when I use them.

Did you know that Grace Lee has a set of Affinity iPad shadows in a FB group that you can play with?
I created those shadows for Grace. 😀 She did a tutorial and I save them as the shadow file.

Affinity does have its challenges with shadows and this probably makes my dilemma worse. I do wish Photoshop for the iPad were a more complete product. I do prefer it but I sit at my desk all day for work, I don’t want to sit there for play too.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:01 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
Shawn, the only problem with this is that if they were to share a page in PSD for you to copy the shadows they would also be sharing all the elements and papers (and contents) of a kit they got. Most likely this would violate the TOU policy of the designer/designers.

Do you know how to modify a shadow in Affinity? Maybe you would get more feedback/help if you ask more for what settings people prefer for their shadows on certain elements. Does that makes sense?
You are absolutely right. I didn’t even think of that. I just struggle and see some of the layouts on here and they are beautifully done. I guess I’ll just keep tweaking them.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No Affinity experience here, sorry. I heard they are "close" to releasing PSE for an iPad. We shall see. Do you have a laptop? I have a lap desk and use it with my laptop everywhere. My favorite place to scrap is the couch.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I can't help you with Affinity either. I do know that Photoshop is available for the iPad too. Ever thought of switching ?? I think I might just install Photoshop on my iPad (wonder if I can do that with my Adobe account) and see if my shadow styles work on the iPad.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm just seeing and reading this now.
Thank you so much for picking one of my layouts as an example.
Unfortunately I can't help with Affinity either. I'm a Photoshop user. But if it is any use for you, I can give you my shadow settings for papers, flowers, etc... If you want them.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:03 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I'm just seeing and reading this now.
Thank you so much for picking one of my layouts as an example.
Unfortunately I can't help with Affinity either. I'm a Photoshop user. But if it is any use for you, I can give you my shadow settings for papers, flowers, etc... If you want them.
Thank you, I would love that. I’ll take all the help I can get!
Old 03-04-2020, 07:06 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancka View Post
I can't help you with Affinity either. I do know that Photoshop is available for the iPad too. Ever thought of switching ?? I think I might just install Photoshop on my iPad (wonder if I can do that with my Adobe account) and see if my shadow styles work on the iPad.
I do have Photoshop on my iPad but it is far from a complete version. Photoshop is my first love. I use it daily for work. I chose Affinity because I love to scrap on my iPad. It has been a game changer. . . Except for the way it handles shadows.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bands321 View Post
Thank you, I would love that. I’ll take all the help I can get!
I'm at work right now (lunch break). I'll check tonight when I get home and let you know.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got Affinity on my Ipad, but I M not used to it yet, especially with the shadows I'm having a little trouble
Old 03-04-2020, 07:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I do have Photoshop on my iPad but it is far from a complete version. Photoshop is my first love. I use it daily for work. I chose Affinity because I love to scrap on my iPad. It has been a game changer. . . Except for the way it handles shadows.
too bad the photoshop ipad version is not a complete one. i was already getting excited about scrapping while i was in bed i do want to check it out though because you never know...i might be able to scrap on my ipad need to wait a bit because my ipad was empty (that is how much I use it ! LOL).
Old 03-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I am totally with you here. I spend so much time at the computer during the day it's nice to prop my feet up, watch tv and use the iPad. I actually challenged myself to use Affinity all of 2020 so that I force myself to learn. If you like my shadowing (at least for the last few months) I'll certainly share my Affinity fx settings with you. I can say I don't spend nearly the time tweaking shadows these days vs when I used PS.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Is there a tutorial for affinity? I'd like to master him more
Old 03-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels View Post
Is there a tutorial for affinity? I'd like to master him more
There is a great Facebook group “App Scrappers - Affinity Photo” that has tutorials. I also use YouTube videos when I’m stuck.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
There is a great Facebook group “App Scrappers - Affinity Photo” that has tutorials. I also use YouTube videos when I’m stuck.
Thank you Shawn
Old 03-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I haven't played in Affinity since forever but I should! Wish their shadows are easier to do. Is there anything specific you want to achieve? I know you posted the layouts, but what about them appeal to you? Let me know and I will try to explain better. I thought I posted a tutorial earlier but I know it's not very specific.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:57 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLee View Post
I haven't played in Affinity since forever but I should! Wish their shadows are easier to do. Is there anything specific you want to achieve? I know you posted the layouts, but what about them appeal to you? Let me know and I will try to explain better. I thought I posted a tutorial earlier but I know it's not very specific.

I went back and re-read your tutorial and something clicked. I wasn’t paying attention to the “the highest embellishments have darker shadows”. My clusters always looked flat and I think it is because I was using the same shadow style for every layer. I will play around with them tomorrow and see if I can tweak it to my liking. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

someone mentioned affinity to me the other day too, but I couldn't find it on android. Can I jump in and ask a question about what ipad you recommend to use for scrapbooking? Minimum size? I'm due an upgrade very soon and had never thought about using it to scrap. Would love to be able to scrap at a whim
Old 03-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Affinity Photo for iPad does require one of the newer model iPads to run. I know there are specifications when you go to purchase it. I had one of the earlier models and it crashed on me often. It is much more stable on my new iPad that I got for Christmas.

Storage will depend on how you plan to store your supplies, i.e. if you use Dropbox or iCloud drive for storage.

I will say that keeping the number of apps open to a minimum does help with stability.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use Affinity on my iPad pro 2017. It's not the newest model so it's pretty affordable. I think my husband got mine off eBay a few years ago for $700. Works awesome!