Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Carseat recommendations...

Can you ladies recommend a carseat for me? My girls grew out of the 5 pt, and now we're using their seat as boosters, with the seat belt, and I want to go back to a 5 pt. They're 7 and 47 and 48 inches tall, and weigh 46 and 48 lbs. I'm pretty sure there are now 5 pts up to 65 lbs, right? I'd like to know which ones you girls like for your littles I know I'll still have to look around and see which is going to be a good fit, but it feels a bit overwhelming, lol, like I''m starting over, and I was hoping you girls could give me a good starting point at what to look at.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The problem you're likely to run into is that most kids outgrow a car seat's height limit way before they hit the weight limit. I can't remember exactly how tall mine were when they outgrew their 5 pt harness seats, but it happened at around 6 years old. I know that Britax has some good seats for bigger kids, but I don't remember the height specifics anymore.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are several on the market that even go to 80lbs with a harness. Diono's Radian RXT, Britax Frontier (harnesses to 85lbs, boosters to 120). Rachel's right about height though. You'll want to check their torso heights, then see if you can find and test them in seats at a store. Just have them sit against a wall and measure from butt to shoulder. That'll give you a better idea about how long they might fit into another harness.

There are seats that harness to 65 as well, but at their age/height, you're unlikely to get much time out of them at all. All that said, they are truly safe in their boosters at seven years old. So long as they're sitting properly and the belt fits properly, there is no real reason to move them back to a harness. (Unless it makes you feel better, something I totally get. I kept Devin harnessed until April of this year. He'd still be in the seat if Andrew hadn't been in a collision that forced us to retire the seat. Devin will be 10 in November--he rode in a special needs harness.)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This one goes to 120 lbs and 59 inches.

http://www.recaro-cs.com/us/product/...ters.html#cols

I've been using their Como model (now retired) for 4 years now and love it. They're a bit pricey (I think mine was $250), but I call it the recliner of carseats...plush and padded and mine is super easy to clean!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The Britax Frontier goes to 120 lbs. and 65 inches. My almost 5 year old has that seat right now and he likes it because it doesn't look like a "baby" seat and I like it because I feel more secure with him in a 5 pt. harness. I've loved all of our Britax seats - pricey but worth it, IMO.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKS View Post
The Britax Frontier goes to 120 lbs. and 65 inches. My almost 5 year old has that seat right now and he likes it because it doesn't look like a "baby" seat and I like it because I feel more secure with him in a 5 pt. harness. I've loved all of our Britax seats - pricey but worth it, IMO.
I think this is the one that we had. Or something quite similar from Britax.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

We have the Diono Radian R100 (use to be Sunshine Kids....they changed their name) and we LOVE them!!!

I got them on Amazon and used my swagbucks!!! We have both colors. Avoid Dune if you can...it doesn't hide stains very well!!

Here are it's features!!

Rear facing 5 to 40 pounds
Forward facing 20-65 pounds (up to 57") in 5 positions harness
Booster to 100 pounds
Steel alloy frame and aluminum reinforced sides
5 shoulder and 3 buckle positions for custom fit

Here are my 2 youngest in the them I don't have a photo of my other kid in it (he is an almost 8 year old boy) they are 4 and 3 years old.

And here is a better photo to show you he still has a LONG way to go before he outgrows this (remember they don't out grow them until the top of the car seat is at ear level)!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Oh and I wanted to point out, one of the main reasons we went with Diono is that they are the narrowest seats on the market (only 17 inches - I fit 3 across my back seat easy peasy) and the steel alloy frame and aluminum reinforced sides!!!

So depending on what you drive and if you will need another place for someone to sit might determine the kind of seat you can buy!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You can often go to your local police or fire station to have the seat properly installed into your car, by the way.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is mostly to make me feel better . I'm sure boosters are safe as well, or they wouldn't have them, but seeing my girls in a booster with a seat belt - they're so little it makes me uneasy. I'm not too concerned about size right now as we have a large backseat and no one else to transport. Thanks for giving me some seats to look into! I appreciate the feedback