Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community

Old 09-10-2020, 12:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Hard Drive Crash....I need a new computer...Laptop or Desktop??

Welp...I kind of knew it was coming but not so soon....

My hard drive has been failing for some time but didn't expect it to just up and die on me. We have managed to get it to wake up and limp along so I can dump everything onto an EHD and not pay to have one sent from Idrive.

I am sad bc I have been used to scrapping during the day and it has been several days now with NOTHING...ahhhh!

The transferring was going great and nice at first, I was organizing old designing files, cleaning up stuff then it locked up and wouldnt restart..so I am in frantic mode to get it all moved off.

I need y'alls help though...I need a new computer and I am trying to convince hubby I need to switch back to a laptop from a desktop. Which do you have and prefer? I am currently set up on a desktop using a medical table for the monitor/keyboard/mouse in front of the TV (lazy, right). He took over our office, kid took our dining room table so the living room was my next choice. The table comes over my recliner so I can still scrap while sitting in the living room. He thinks for the power I need to run photoshop a laptop will be expensive so...help me ladies.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sorry to hear your computer is dying, no fun!!

I prefer a laptop because it's portable and you can always plug it into an external monitor(s), keyboard, etc if you sometimes prefer a set that the same as a desktop. Some people invest in a docking station, but I've never bothered with one at home. I have an adapter to expand the number of USB ports, so everything is managed with just one USB port.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh that is so disappointing! I am so sorry. I couldn't do without my laptop! I can scrap anywhere and anytime and I am in 100% in agreement with Sheri. I use it in the car on trips and I'll go out on my deck on nice evenings and scrap away.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For as long as I’ve been doing digital scrapbooking I’ve had a laptop. I prefer having the ability to be mobile if I want to even though 98% of the time it’s in the same spot at home.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 09-10-2020, 04:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love my desktop and two wide screen monitors. Can't revert to a smaller laptop screen now, even though I could if I wanted. I tried scrapping on a laptop one summer when we were at the beach and I just couldn't get used to it.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I love my desktop and two wide screen monitors. Can't revert to a smaller laptop screen now, even though I could if I wanted. I tried scrapping on a laptop one summer when we were at the beach and I just couldn't get used to it.
Exactly the same here! I had a laptop that was plugged into a docking station with double monitors hooked up and allllll that stuff, but it just wasn't robust enough for what I wanted to do. I'm back to a desktop now and I looooove it. But it really is a personal preference thing. Most of the time, the laptop was fine.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a desktop lady. Especially after reading a thread about laptop batteries only lasting around five years. I don't like change, so I'm good with my computer lasting a decade. I upgraded my new computer's RAM cheaply and easily, but when I looked into doing it for my girls' laptops, woah! Talk about pricey!
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:19 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

team desktop for me! I have the hardest time doing anything on a laptop but I think it's all up to personal perference
Old 09-10-2020, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Laptop! I wouldn't give up the portability for more power. (Fair disclosure--I've had a laptop ever since I started scrapping 16 years ago, so I wouldn't really know if there was a speed difference that you'd notice when switching from desktop to laptop.) It's true that you might need to spend a little more on a scrapping laptop than on a scrapping desktop, but prices have come down a lot on laptops. I prefer a 17" laptop for scrapping and would recommend that, but it isn't essential if a 15" fits your needs or budget better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I will be no help... I use both.

I love the big screen on the desktop and I love that I can take my laptop to the patio and travel with it. In the living room, I do use my laptop. My desktop is in the playroom so I can scrap will the kiddos nap.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-10-2020, 12:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
Exactly the same here! I had a laptop that was plugged into a docking station with double monitors hooked up and allllll that stuff, but it just wasn't robust enough for what I wanted to do. I'm back to a desktop now and I looooove it. But it really is a personal preference thing. Most of the time, the laptop was fine.
You have me super curious, what wasn't robust enough about it? I kind of think of the laptop and the desktop tower as the "brains" and the external equipment is interchangeable between either set up (i.e. a laptop is essentially just a portable desktop). I would think issues with speed, etc are specific to how good of a machine someone buys (processor, memory, etc).
Old 09-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
You have me super curious, what wasn't robust enough about it? I kind of think of the laptop and the desktop tower as the "brains" and the external equipment is interchangeable between either set up (i.e. a laptop is essentially just a portable desktop). I would think issues with speed, etc are specific to how good of a machine someone buys (processor, memory, etc).
I wondered the same thing. My laptop is great . It's a 17" HP Envy. 16GB RAM, great graphics and speedy processor...but even my beast could be upgraded. When I swapped my 1TB HDD for a 1TB SSD, the speed was amazing. It handled a docking station with 4 EHDs with no problem.

Having said that, it took awhile to find a desktop worth buying because I really really really love my laptop. But then I saw the HP Omen 30L and had to have it, so I bought it last month. I like having a desktop because the 27" monitor I got is awesome (I actually don't like having two monitors. I found I prefer having one large monitor). Anyway, my point is that the kids bother me less when I'm in the office on the desktop than when I'm out in the living room using my laptop. Sure, the laptop has flexibility, but it also means I'm distracted more. So that's something to think about, too.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It was an older laptop and when the time came to replace, I decided I wanted a desktop. I don't like scrapping on a laptop because it's too small, so portability wasn't a need for me. The laptop was slowing down and Photoshop kept crashing, which drove me insane. It was much cheaper to get a nice desktop than getting a comparable laptop. Again, it is a matter of preference; I've had both, I like my desktop best.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I splurged when my last laptop crashed and bought a gaming laptop that has plenty of power for all the programs I run. I like being able to sit on the couch and scrap and watch tv with my husband. But, I do have a 27 inch monitor that I can hook up to in my office when I'm doing my "serious scrapping."

Old 09-10-2020, 04:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Kimberly I'm sorry to hear about your computer - I hope you get things transferred over without issue!!

I currently work on a desktop with a 27" monitor - however; retirement is in our sights, so will more than likely switch to a laptop because our plan is to travel. I will take my big monitor with me when we travel --- I think I'd miss it terribly.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
It was an older laptop and when the time came to replace, I decided I wanted a desktop. I don't like scrapping on a laptop because it's too small, so portability wasn't a need for me. The laptop was slowing down and Photoshop kept crashing, which drove me insane. It was much cheaper to get a nice desktop than getting a comparable laptop. Again, it is a matter of preference; I've had both, I like my desktop best.
Ah, that makes sense . And PS crashing is not acceptable. We gotta scrap! Glad you found a desktop that works for you.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:25 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post

Same. Desktop with 2 large monitors. Do have a laptop although it is older and much slower. I used to go to retreats and would scrap on the laptop there. In those days I had no problem with it but as I've aged so have my eyes. I need BIG screens. I also no longer scrap away from home. Well, I could if I wanted but that is besides the point.

When my desktop crashed 15 months ago, I had no hesitation to get another desktop. Never even considered a laptop. To be honest I used my older laptop until I got the new computer and that confirmed my decision to not get a laptop. I ended up not using the computer much because of the vision issues. Too much of a hassle to hook the EHD's and monitors to the laptop to make things workable IMO.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is great, thanks ladies. I have had both a laptop and a desktop. I am rough on computers...heck everything. LOL My last laptop just up and died on me and I am sure it was hard drive and now my poor desktop. My last laptop was held together with a giant binder clip...it was cracking at the screen and missing keys. I used to design and sell so I used the computer a lot to work. Now I am just scrapping but I am on here a lot. We went with a new HD for now...Hubby got a 1TB SSD which is smaller than what I had but I bought a 5TB external to move everything to for now...he just doesn't understand I buy new scrapping kits frequently and take millions of pics so that will fill up quickly. The 5TB already has over 3 TB full now. I am holding out for Prime Day or Black Friday and a deal on a good laptop. I like to portability too, we travel a lot or did pre COVID.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
We went with a new HD for now...Hubby got a 1TB SSD which is smaller than what I had but I bought a 5TB external to move everything to for now...he just doesn't understand I buy new scrapping kits frequently and take millions of pics so that will fill up quickly. The 5TB already has over 3 TB full now. I am holding out for Prime Day or Black Friday and a deal on a good laptop.
Sounds like a good plan!