Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-14-2020, 11:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Global light default keeps changing

So frustrating...I usually keep the "Use Global Light" box unchecked in PS6. After years of it staying reliably off, suddenly it keeps reverting to being on. I've unclicked it and chosen "Make default" over and over and over. I've restarted PS and my computer. This has only been going on for a few days, and I can't figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2020, 08:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I dont have any ideas on what to do as I use PSE. How frustrating though! Hope you can figure it out or someone else that knows chimes in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Old 09-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
I dont have any ideas on what to do as I use PSE. How frustrating though! Hope you can figure it out or someone else that knows chimes in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks, Mary! If I can't find anything else, the best suggestion I found online for random glitches was to delete the preferences file and let PS rebuild it. Fingers crossed that works, because I'll probably try it tonight!
Old 09-15-2020, 06:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use CC and as far as I knew there was no way to change it. Default is 120. I always go in and change it to 45 every time. I wish there was a way to change it, I would love that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 10:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Could you set up some styles for your favourite shadows with that in the style so you can just adjust from there, instead of adding a drop shadow, then adjusting you would add the style then adjust instead.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
I use CC and as far as I knew there was no way to change it. Default is 120. I always go in and change it to 45 every time. I wish there was a way to change it, I would love that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Could you set up some styles for your favourite shadows with that in the style so you can just adjust from there, instead of adding a drop shadow, then adjusting you would add the style then adjust instead.
Thanks for the suggestions! I've been playing with it more today, and it looks like it's one set of purchased shadow styles that it's happening on. The ones I've made seem fine, but the purchased ones are losing the setting that tells them not to use global light. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. But I've been scrapping for so long that I started back when the light source from the upper left (120) was the norm, and it never looked right to me any other way so I stuck with that when the rest of the scrapping world switched. It looks like the shadow styles I usually use are set for a light source at 116 degrees, so maybe it was defaulting to global light at 120 on some of those all along and I never noticed because it was so close. But on a few recent layouts the global light setting was different (60), so on those I noticed immediately when the shadow defaulted to global light. I haven't figured out why they keep reverting to using global light, but at least now I've realized that everything will work acceptably when I change the global light back to 120!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't use PSE, but my experience with PSCC is that the global light setting defaults to whatever was last used on the creator of the file you are opening. For example, if you open a template, it will be set to whatever the designer used. If you open a kit element, same gig. I've consistently changed it every time I start a page, since I open a paper to start my creative process.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I don't use PSE, but my experience with PSCC is that the global light setting defaults to whatever was last used on the creator of the file you are opening. For example, if you open a template, it will be set to whatever the designer used. If you open a kit element, same gig. I've consistently changed it every time I start a page, since I open a paper to start my creative process.
This is what I was going to say. Depending on what template designer you are using a template from, it will change based on what they used.

Your best bet is to make your own custom shadows and use those setting their shadows to what you want them! Good luck!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to always scrap with a shadow of 120 but seeing how most templates designers use a 45 degree angle, I've just adapted and used that. I actually love it when the box is ticked to Global Light because if the angle isn't to 45 it changes all of the layers at once to the angle I prefer.
But I'm sorry I don't have any answer for you besides saving each shadow the way you want it in your Styles like others have said.