Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-02-2022, 11:46 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Very long time, no see….

I’m back after many years and want to get back into digiscrapping!! I still have all of my scrapping kits on my old MacBook Pro (almost everything I have I bought from this site!) as well as PSE (can’t remember which version but def an old one).

I use my iPad for pretty much everything now and have the Apple Pencil as well but I haven’t tried scrapping on my IPad and have NO IDEA how to even get started. I feel like it’s going to be like starting all over again and need a little nudge. I feel like I was pretty proficient in digiscrapping years ago. Sigh…

I’ve been looking through some threads and trying to get an idea of what app I should use for scrapping that would be similar to PSE. And wondering if there’s a way to get my digi-scrapping files to my iPad (or if that would take up too much space so it isn’t even feasible).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Haha…even my signature is SO OLD!!!

Last edited by momtutu; 07-02-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

welcome back! sorry, I'm not sure about the iPad, but I'm sure someone will come along who knows xo

Old 07-02-2022, 01:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back! I'll be watching this thread to see what kind of feedback you get from the rest of the community about app scrapping. I've dabbled in it a little, but quickly became frustrated - probably because I can do everything so quickly on my PC, and I'm spoiled by a multiple monitor set-up.

I've used the Project Life app for very simple block- or grid-based pages. The app itself is free, but you have to pay for the feature that allows you to add text on top of images. That's the only way to journal on photos or cards you don't buy in the app but, instead, import as JPGs. That's how you would use your SSD supplies in the PL app - you bring them in like they're photographs.

I've also briefly played with using the mobile version of Photoshop (not a fan) as well as an app called Procreate (which I like a lot more, but I still don't have as much control with layer styles as I do with Photoshop on my PC). Procreate does support clipping masks, so there's definitely some good possibility there for scrapbooking, and you can find plenty of Procreate how-to videos online. Plus, it has native support for the Apple Pencil!

The best way I've found to bring scrapping supplies over to my iPad is via the cloud. I use Dropbox, but Apple's iCloud Drive or Google Drive will work too. I find it easiest to store my files there rather than transfer them en masse to my iPad. If you move them to your iPad, you have to use the Photos system to browse through them, which is a total pain, because there's no easy organization and they're mixed in with your pics. Instead, when I need to get to a journaling card, for example, I use the Import option in Procreate, navigate to Dropbox, then to the folder for whatever kit, and select the card I need.

You can also set up a split-screen view with Procreate on one side and Dropbox docked on the other, and then drag-and-drop your card straight into your Procreate canvas.

The more I'm writing about this, the more I'm thinking I need to spend some time playing with scrapping on my iPad. I'll probably always be able to do more with Photoshop CC on my PC, but a more streamlined way of iPad scrapping might keep me from taking 6 hours to make a layout!

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 07-02-2022, 03:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
Welcome back! I'll be watching this thread to see what kind of feedback you get from the rest of the community about app scrapping. I've dabbled in it a little, but quickly became frustrated - probably because I can do everything so quickly on my PC, and I'm spoiled by a multiple monitor set-up.

I've used the Project Life app for very simple block- or grid-based pages. The app itself is free, but you have to pay for the feature that allows you to add text on top of images. That's the only way to journal on photos or cards you don't buy in the app but, instead, import as JPGs. That's how you would use your SSD supplies in the PL app - you bring them in like they're photographs.

I've also briefly played with using the mobile version of Photoshop (not a fan) as well as an app called Procreate (which I like a lot more, but I still don't have as much control with layer styles as I do with Photoshop on my PC). Procreate does support clipping masks, so there's definitely some good possibility there for scrapbooking, and you can find plenty of Procreate how-to videos online. Plus, it has native support for the Apple Pencil!

The best way I've found to bring scrapping supplies over to my iPad is via the cloud. I use Dropbox, but Apple's iCloud Drive or Google Drive will work too. I find it easiest to store my files there rather than transfer them en masse to my iPad. If you move them to your iPad, you have to use the Photos system to browse through them, which is a total pain, because there's no easy organization and they're mixed in with your pics. Instead, when I need to get to a journaling card, for example, I use the Import option in Procreate, navigate to Dropbox, then to the folder for whatever kit, and select the card I need.

You can also set up a split-screen view with Procreate on one side and Dropbox docked on the other, and then drag-and-drop your card straight into your Procreate canvas.

The more I'm writing about this, the more I'm thinking I need to spend some time playing with scrapping on my iPad. I'll probably always be able to do more with Photoshop CC on my PC, but a more streamlined way of iPad scrapping might keep me from taking 6 hours to make a layout!
Good info! Thanks! I’ve been looking at Photoshop and also looked at Procreate as those seem to be the most widely used. Yup…I also have been researching how to pull things across from MacBook to ipad so I don’t have to move all of my kits to ipad (that would take up way too much space and I’m pretty sure I’ll be updating and buying new kits soon!).

It appears that if I use PS, I would have to subscribe to it for the MacBook and it would carry over to the ipad vs just getting it for the ipad. I would then be able to float my pages across to save back on my MacBook (I think).
Old 07-02-2022, 04:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtutu View Post
It appears that if I use PS, I would have to subscribe to it for the MacBook and it would carry over to the ipad vs just getting it for the ipad. I would then be able to float my pages across to save back on my MacBook (I think).
Welcome back! Last summer I was deciding whether to buy an iPad or an Android tablet for school, since I'm an Android person. The main thing that would have swayed me to go to an iPad was the ability to scrap well on it. I don't know if anything has changed since then, but my conclusion was that the PS app was missing too many features that I considered essential for scrapping. Before you make the decision to buy, you may want to look into the specific capabilities of PS for iPad right now.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Welcome back!
Old 07-02-2022, 02:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back!!
Old 07-06-2022, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back! I have a friend that uses Affinity photo on her ipad. I have it on my PC and have dabbled with it but it's been very specific dabbling so I'm no help there, unfortunately. I know there's a FB scrapping group that uses it.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back!!!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-13-2022, 12:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back Kelli! I am no help with apps but let us know what ends up working out for you.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Welcome back. I've tried the photoshop mobile app and like Angie, I can't say I was thrilled with it. But I think it will improve in time. Procreate is what I would recommend right now.