Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM
Question Dr.'s Nurses PA's - I'm desparate

This is probably a long shot but I am hoping someone here can help. If you can, please send me a private message or email me at amymatthews AT embarqmail.com

My daughter started with fever, headache, throwing up on Wednesday. Went to the DR. on Thurs and run a bunch of tests- everything is clear but due to blood cell count of 16.8 they thought possibly bacterial infection. No more throwing up and headache after Thursday morning, absolutely no other symptoms. Blood and urine cultures were done. Started taking azithromycin Thursday night. Fri night, fever up to almost 105 and was unresponsive to motrin until I double dosed her (I didn't know what else to do). Took her to the DR. again today and they run a million more tests. White blood cell count down to 8, still don't know what's wrong with her and will have to wait 2 more weeks for today's tests (lyme, ebv, etc.) to come back. Tonight around supper time she was acting fine, playing a little, fever under 101. Now again just a few minutes ago she's back up to 104. She's not getting better, she's going up and down here and I'm scared.

The dr.'s said fever should be gone in 3 days. It's been almost 4. Nobody knows what is wrong with her and I am about to freak out. We have an appointment on Monday to go back yet again.

Has anyone experienced this with their children or heard of anything like this? Please help if you can. She is 7 and the cutest little thing in the world (of course, you can see her all over my gallery) Please help if you can, my nerves are shot.

facebook
Old 05-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic

Oh Amy, I hope she's gonna be okay. I'm not much help here, but it reminds me of when my co-worker's son had a bacterial infection in his blood. He has several days of fevers, I don't think he threw up, but went into a siezure one night. It wasn't the same night they found out about the infection, a couple days passed before the lab tests confirmed it.

HUGS to you, hope she gets over whatever it is soon.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 05-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh honey big hugs, I have no advice just wanted you to know im thinking about ya!!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When's the last time she moved her bowels??? She could be backed up and full. My dd who is 11 has encopresis. We've been battling this since she was 8. if she doesn't go regularly, she gets a high fever, vomits, headaches and lays around the house. Tylenol and Motrin doesn't relieve the fever because it's not "truly an infection" and won't drop til she uses the bathroom. Because she gets so full, it hurts to go to the bathroom which worsens the problems because she doesn't want to go because it hurts. As soon as she is able to pass what she needs to, she's back to a normal little girl - out riding her bike, etc.

wbc could be due to a small infection in the body - I can't remember if my dd's was elevated when this happened to her - before she was diagnosed. It's a shame it takes so long for Dr's to get test results back to their office, because the company I work for gets our individual's labs and tests back waaaay ahead of the dr. office. not sure why?!?

Last edited by wildblueeyez; 05-11-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, with our family history...I don't want to scare you at all, but...Mason had a fever of 104 that wouldn't go down, the next morning he still had the fever and he was having trouble walking...he had a seizure (they still haven't figured out what caused it - but now they're leaning towards it being a febrial seizure, brought on by the high fever). His blood count was REALLY low and all whacky, and they did several tests but couldn't find anything wrong. They originally considered cancer (leukemia) because they knew it had something to do with his blood, BUT there were no cancer cells in his blood. They didn't discover the leukemia cells until 3 days later when they did a bone marrow aspiration. He was also presumed to have had meningitis which brought us to the hospital, though they call it "presumed treated meningitis" because they couldn't find any signs of it, but he'd been on antibiotics...but they figure it explains the fever and why he couldn't walk that morning.

Like I said, I don't want to scare you...that's like worst case scenario. And not every child presents the same, I don't think there was another kid in our ward with a similar story and there were like a hundred kids with the same disease.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Bladder infection??

DD's urine culture won't prove positive for a few days. She's had many of the symptoms you've described only to find out that it was a bladder infection.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

We have had fever causing viruses in our house that have lasted 5 days or more. My older two daughters run very high fevers - have both had 105 with viruses that lasted at least 5 days. Last year one of my daughters had mono and a sinus infection. So she was treated for the sinus infection and some of her symptoms went away but then continued to get a lot worse. This is when they figured out she had mono too. Her fever lasted for 8 days with that. Because it started out with a bacterial diagnosis I was really scared when she got worse while on the antibiotics and very grateful that they could test of for the mono - that obviously put my mind at ease. But my other daughter and I have both had freaky viruses that cause high fever and last for a week but don't show up on any routine tests.

Well, I don't have any medical knowledge or background but I just wanted to share a story with you that might be a little similar to what you are going through but not so scary.

Huge hugs! I hope they figure out what is going on. Those high fevers are so hard on us moms and not knowing what is going on can be so terrifying. Keep us posted.

Kristi

a charity kit benefiting China's orphans
Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I sure hope she knocks whatever it is out of her system soon. I know what you are going through. Kylie has had several fevers, without any other symptoms, so I always atrributed it to cutting teeth. However, she did have a fever for three days one time and then got a rash the day after the fever had left. I think that time it was Roseala. From my experience, every child is different and their immune systems can react to things in crazy ways.

I would suggest that as long as she seems to be acting normal and her temperature doesn't go any higher, just wait for the test results. You can try giving her a cool bath, or even an ice pop to help bring down the temperature.

I hope that helps,

My Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you ladies- I am not glad to hear that your children have been sick like this before but it does put my mind at ease to know that it could be something as simple as a virus. Same deal today. Motrin wears off, fever up to 104. Oh well, seeing the dr. tomorrow. Bree- I don't know what to say about your ordeal except it is really heartbreaking! Hugs to you and Mason sweetie

facebook
Old 05-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to uptowngirl Send a message via Yahoo to uptowngirl

Sending big ((hugs)) your way!! I know how it feels when they get high fevers and how scary that is! It is so hard not to think of all the terrible things... especially when you have to wait as you are for test results. Try to keep positive thoughts though! Keep us all posted!

i create for
Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to jocelinsmommy

Sent u some messages **HUGS** ur in my thoughts honey--sleep well....and lemme know what they say tomorrow

Old 05-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope she is feeling better .... it sounds like a virus to me to and her body IS fighting it .... that is what the fever is for. Try cool baths as well as the medicine.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My youngest had something like this a few months ago. It was a nasty virus he had to work through, but it sure freaked me out! I hope she gets better soon!

Penny
Old 05-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I have no idea what it could be, mine get fevers, but almost always because of an infection. I hope it eases up soon for you all.((hugs))
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all so much for your kind words and prayers.
Today was much better. We didn't get much over 100. Kassi is still not eating much at all but I'm about to drown her in Gatorade so I'm not too concerned. She's tired all the time but tonight started feeling a little better. Still have to wait almost two weeks before we get all the tests back.

The doc's are still puzzled. This morning when we went the pediatrician told me he and the other doctors had been talking about this whole thing. Apparently she is not the only one. IN the last week they have seen this in babies on up to kids her age. It's not fitting into the typical viruses or illnesses you see this time of year but lots of kids around here are getting sick. I hate to hear that, but it kind of makes me feel better to know she's not the only one.

Now she's acting like she's got a cold. Colds I can handle, we know what they are.

facebook
Old 05-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So glad the doctors are taking this seriously and are comparing notes with one another. HOpefully soon you figure out what's going on.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I had a friend whose 3 year old daughter had something similar happen last year. She had a fever, sometimes up to 104 for about 4 months. She was tested for everything possible and they never found out what it was. It finally just went away and she doesn't seem to be affected by it anymore. She was totally not herself during it and I know it was really tough on my friend, especially not knowing. I can find out more details if you'd like (they slip my mind now). ((Hugs)) to you!