Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default RQOTD: School Supplies

When buying your children school supplies do you buy the name brand stuff or do you buy off brand because its the cheapest in price?

~I was talking with my husband about Drew's school supply list this year and I told him he needs 24 #2 pencils and DH says "well just make sure and don't get him the cheapest pencils because they suck". And being a preschool teacher I have found that Crayola brand is definitely worth paying a little extra money for especially with crayons and water colors. So my answer is that we go with name brand stuff but still try to get the cheapest price.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

my son's school supply list is very specific for brand. Everything except their folders get put into the classroom's general supply, so that is why they are picky about brand.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not really shopping for school, but I do hit up the back-to-school sales to replenish our supply at home of crayons, markers, glue, etc. Walmart had some crazy prices on the name brand stuff anyway, but I always stick with Crayola crayons because other crayons don't color as well.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For certain things I buy name brand...crayons is definitely one...they are usually really cheap during all the back to school sales
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do not really pay attention, I let them pick out what they want
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Only a few things do I insist on buying the name brand and that is Crayola. Can't beat the quality. Sometimes I'll pay pretty good money for pens since they're not all create equal either
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It depends... I'm not buying for school, but for my own personal needs... and for art products and pens, I will buy brand name... other things, I go by price.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I do agree about writing utensils - cheap pens don't write well, and when you have emergent writers, you need good writing utensils.

For everything else, I don't care so much, for the most part. And if our kids were in public school, knowing their school supplies wouldn't stay theirs, I'd care even less.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I buy them the name brands. As a teacher, I've found that the name brands really are better 90% of the time... glue, markers, crayons. I end up throwing away the off brand stuff at the end of the year and buying name brand during the year because the off brand is so bad. And yes, this is why they are specific on brand... because if parents buy the off brand stuff, teachers are going to end up paying out of pocket to get the quality stuff.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I haven't had to buy school supplies in like 7 years (our school PTA provides them for all kids) but when I do buy art supplies for here at home I usually buy the name brand in crayons and the off brand in markers and glue sticks (Rose Art I think). The cheap crayons just don't color as well as Crayola!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids' school pretty much tell you which brand you have to buy. In fact on some things they'll even have on the list "do NOT buy XXX brand." Crayola is definitely on their good list, Ticonderoga pencils, etc.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

As a parent buying school supplies for the first time this year, this thread is so interesting. I definitely don't want teachers having to buy supplies from their own pockets. Think I'll stick with the name brands...they're crazy cheap at BTS time anyway.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You should see how long my daughter's list is for 1st grade! Holy cow.

But the back to school sales have just started here (and we don't go back until after labor day) and we should be able to buy name brand cheaply.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Oh and if I did have to buy the supplies and my school tried to tell me what to buy...I'd tell them to stuff it! That is ridiculous!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Yes I buy name brand. Off-brand stuff drives me crazy in most cases. Glue sticks dry up before Christmas, crayons break and don't color as bright, markers dry up or the caps don't stay on after awhile. Then, yep, I'm paying out of pocket for the rest of the school year b/c the kids' parents won't replenish supplies, even if the kids need it.

So I don't do that to Luke's teachers.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post
Yes I buy name brand. Off-brand stuff drives me crazy in most cases. Glue sticks dry up before Christmas, crayons break and don't color as bright, markers dry up or the caps don't stay on after awhile. Then, yep, I'm paying out of pocket for the rest of the school year b/c the kids' parents won't replenish supplies, even if the kids need it.

So I don't do that to Luke's teachers.
I would always buy my kids more supplies if they need them. it's horrible that your parents won't. You shouldn't have to pay out of pocket, that's absurd.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Our school specifies brands but the odd thing is that if you buy the PTO pre packs, they don't always have the specified brands in them. *shrug*

I get good glue sticks & crayons but the rest I buy as cheap as possible, assuming I didn't get the pre pack. I cannot recall if I bought the prepack for this year & would have paid cash so I have no receipt to check. Won't know at all until Open House 2 days before school starts & then if I haven't bought the prepack I will be buying whatever the heck is available.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, we have a big population of free & reduced lunches at our school, which a lot of them either can't afford it or are so busy trying to make life work they don't have any idea what's going on at school. Honestly I don't blame them. I can't imagine. Then we have parents that can't very easily afford it but they're so wrapped up in their jobs & other things that school is the very bottom priority.

I really don't mind in most cases... in either case it's not the kids' fault. I just stock up when everything is really cheap at the start of the school year and have it on hand.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

emmas's supplies are very specific. down to the color of their folders.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It depends on what it is. I think some of the off brand stuff is fine, others not so much. I always watch sales for supplies that I know get used a lot. It's not unusual to have a mid year request for random supplies. I also keep a stash of good stuff at home, like Ticonderoga pencils and good markers because in the elementary classes they pool supplies, so even if I buy my kid the good stuff she may not actually get to use it.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always go name brand because it becomes super cheap. Crayola Crayons for 25 cents? yes, please (and I think I bought 10? 12? packs for his teacher to have extra)... Markers are $1. Its crazy prices.

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think only with crayons and markers do we stick to name brand. Everything else I get the cheapest.... and it's because of what Darcy said... it all gets thrown in together anyway so my kids don't even get to use what we bought pretty much.

And while we're on this subject...I don't really like that it all gets thrown in, but what bugs me most is that they don't even end up using it all! She needs all these different writing books this year (2 spiral books, 2 handwriting ones, 2 story tablets, 2 comp books).... she's in 1st grade, I don't think she'll get through it all. But maybe I'm wrong!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I never considered school supplies to be "name brand!" LOL!

I do buy Crayola crayons and markers because they seem to last the whole school year. I like the Mead 5 star notebooks for the same reason. So I watch the Target, Staples and Toys R Us back to school sales and pounce when the gettings good. I also make sure to check the paper for coupons which makes the deals even better. Last year I go Mead vinyl notebooks for about $2 and they are usually $8 and up! We always keep pens and one subject notebooks on hand so I shop those deals all year round.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Some schools may specify brands (especially on crayons) because apparently some of the off brands can kick off an allergic reaction in hyper sensitive kids. Stick to Crayola. They work better anyway.

I also say when things are on sale now to pick up a few "extras" of items that your kids might go through before the school year is up. Much easier to send another 30 cent notebook in March that you have squirreled away at home than to go pick one up for $1.30. [That extra buck or two would pay for a cute alpha from Penny Candy].
Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Our list specifies Crayola, which is fine, because that's what I would buy anyway. After 15+ years of teaching, I learned that the off brands (Roseart, etc) basically stink...the colors don't work well and the paints...forget it. Anyone who brought off-brand would get frustrated really quickly and wound up sharing with a neighbor.

I don't have a specific brand of pencil, but I do make sure they are not the type that are 'slick' when sharpened...can't remember the brand, but one type of pencil always comes off way too light.

**BTW Office Depot has 24 ct Crayolas for 25 cents this week...woot!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am also buying school supplies from a list for the first time this year (sniff!). The list doesn't specify brands, though. With all the sales that are going on, the price difference between Crayola and Roseart has been minimal. I went with Crayola for crayons and markers. I didn't really think brand made a difference on folders and notebooks. I am interested in the glue comparison though -- I think I went Roseart for glue sticks and white glue. Not something we use a ton of at home, so I didn't know the difference, and his teacher had TEN gluesticks on the list, so I went less expensive... And Walgreen's #2 pencils (Penway) vs. Ticonderoga. Will I regret that?

Kleenex is my thing. Total brand snob there!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I was teaching, I'd tell my parents that I prefered specific brands (Crayola, Fiskars, Elmers, etc), and most would comply. Those brands are simply better, IMO. Of course, I was also the crazy teacher that asked for certain colors of folders and notebooks. With a classroom of 7 year olds, it's just so much easier to say, "Take out your BLUE math folder" so that they all know what they're looking for. It saved more time that you'd think!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I generally do the name brand stuff because like everyone else mentioned, the colors are more true and more vibrant on the crayons and because at back to school time, the stuff is cheap!

Dh also hits the clearance aisles at Wal-Mart after back to school time is over and stocks up on extra boxes of crayons, gluesticks, markers, folders, pencils, etc., so that as the kids need new stuff through the year, we can just grab it from our stash.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
emmas's supplies are very specific. down to the color of their folders.
This... but.. I don't care b/c I want for the sales at walmart when everything is really cheap.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
my son's school supply list is very specific for brand. Everything except their folders get put into the classroom's general supply, so that is why they are picky about brand.
This is our school too. They are very specific. I do have to add that I was a teacher's assistant for a good chunk of time last year and I saw the difference first hand. Crayola is by far the best in colors, markers, ect. Prang is the BEST water colors. They just have better color and seem to last longer.

When I shop, I go by the list that was given to us. When it comes to folders, I just buy a big value pack and give the extras to the classroom. If there is a folder that will be specific for my DS then I let him pick a folder of his choosing.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKS View Post
Dh also hits the clearance aisles at Wal-Mart after back to school time is over and stocks up on extra boxes of crayons, gluesticks, markers, folders, pencils, etc., so that as the kids need new stuff through the year, we can just grab it from our stash.

Yes! We do this too! We just keep it organized in our hall closet and the kids always know where to go to update their stuff.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
When I was teaching, I'd tell my parents that I prefered specific brands (Crayola, Fiskars, Elmers, etc), and most would comply. Those brands are simply better, IMO. Of course, I was also the crazy teacher that asked for certain colors of folders and notebooks. With a classroom of 7 year olds, it's just so much easier to say, "Take out your BLUE math folder" so that they all know what they're looking for. It saved more time that you'd think!
Me too! But I just get my own folders when they're a penny at Walmart. Saves time & hassle for everyone!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We always buy name brand, like everyone else. They're sooo cheap around here anyways. Staples always has 1cent deals on notebooks, crayons, glue, always name brand ones too!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Drew's school list is like that. I have to get 5 different spiral notebooks all a different color. And 5 different colored folders. They do specify crayola crayons, elmers glue, and fiskar scissors. But didn't specify a brand on the markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I strongly dislike RoseArt glue. We have the glue sticks for my pre-K and they dry up within a few weeks of school beginning. We can't ask for supplies (because pre-K is funded by a federal grant which requires that parents don't need to provide anything) so we have to go with what the school district provides us. Ick. Ick. Ick. I end up buying my own, and if I'm smart I'll remember to get them when I go school shopping for my kids and they're on sale.

As for liquid glue, I'm not sure about the actual glue, but the RoseArt glue bottles are not as good as the Elmer's glue bottles. I can unstick an Elmer's bottle in less than 2 minutes, but RoseArt's bottles are hard to unclog. I have big bottles of Elmer's that I'll use to refill, but I only refill the Elmer's bottles.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Last year I tried to be a bit cheaper (I always buy brand name) and got Staples Brand erasers, pencils and glue. BIG MISTAKE. I ended up having to replace all of it shortly after the school year started. The erasers smeared the pencil everywhere, the pencils wouldn't sharpen properly and the glue didn't stick well at all. After having kids in school for years, I always used to buy brand name, and last year's experiment showed me to keep doing it LOL!

I also have a stash for the kids if they need to update throughout the year, and I shop during the back to school sales.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I bought name brand everything only when we HS but once my son started PS and I realized he didn't even get to use his own supplies and I was kinda irked. So, I bought Crayola markers/crayons and Elmers glue and everything else as cheap as possible. Well, the things being shared. He got his own pencils so we bought good ones. I also sent the entire list back after Christmas break each year because by that point he had lost/broken/run out of just about everything lol!

Now that he's going into High School there is no supply list! Woo-hoo! I'm following The Organized Student plan and have to pick up stuff for that. Binders are expensive and he goes through about 3 a year so I now know to buy several at the BTS sale!

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I try to buy namebrand as well especially when it is on sale before school starts. This year I have to buy for a Kindergardner and 5th grader..my ioldest will bein college and get a book stipened so she can buy her own actual supplies. And I am another one that HATES rose art glue and crayons!!! The glue just SUCKS and the crayons tend to break really easy! I plan on stockign up this year {I still have stuff leftover from Ben last year} and put stuff like crayons and markers in thier stockings
Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I buy whatever is cheapest for the most part. When the stuff gets really cheap right before school starts I stock up big time on all basic supplies.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Name brand crayons, paints, markers, glue, backpacks and lunchbags. Cheap notebooks, folders, rulers, etc. My kids' school does a mix of pooling and individual. K is all pooled, but by 1st grade they keep more of what they brought in. I buy the better stuff either way, figuring that the more people who do that the better it is for the kids. I've also taught preschool, so I have strong preferences about washability for the younger grades even if they're more expensive. Our school supply list is very specific about number and color, but not brand.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We do namebrand for crayons, markers, and get nice pencils. Otherwise, I look for the deals.