Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default So for those of you with kids learning PS...

Tell me...how are you doing with this? What are you teaching/showing them? Is it as hard as I imagine it to be?

I've got a 10yr. old that would LOVE to learn! She wants to scrapbook and all that fun stuff. But I am SCARED to show her! I'm afraid that it will be frustrating and I have no idea where to start.

So tell me...what comes first?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter loves to drag the elements on to the page!! They pick up really quickly - faster than me. You'll be surprised!

Currently she's totally into editing photos - she wants to be a photographer. Teacher her photo editing is making me INSANE. I may have to hire someone else to teach her or have her take a class. LOL!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls are 6, and while they don't exactly want to learn PS, they want to scrap. lol, since I let them make a lo last time, Cait has been asking me lately if she can 'create' again I would take it slow, that's what we did. I just showed them how to select elements that they wanted. Then I showed them how to drag them onto the lo, and explained layers a bit, like how to put things on top of or underneath something else. Then, resizing, but I held down the ctrl key for them, so things didn't get too squished.

Or, you know, I learn better by doing, so it might work to just sit with her, and let her watch you make one and explain what you're doing as you do it, then let her have a turn, and just answer questions when she says 'how do I?' I don't know what would work best, I learned PS from an old tut, then asking tons of questions online
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My 12 year old can use photoshop quite well. He uses it to make posters that are unique for different project. He can apply shadows, use masks, pull elements in from kits and use templates. You will be surprised! they pick it up quickly!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been showing my 9 year old how to add elements to papers, resize w/o stretching the image, rotate, explaining layers, merging layers (flatten layers v's merge visible), adding text and how to change colors. I think today I'm going to see if she can use a simple template, and how to use drop shadows.

You will be surprised how quickly they pick it up. I think it's because they're growing up with computer skills. Also, letting her just work on her own and experiment with things has proven effective. It's the same way I learned really, lol!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
You will be surprised how quickly they pick it up. I think it's because they're growing up with computer skills. Also, letting her just work on her own and experiment with things has proven effective. It's the same way I learned really, lol!
I'm self-taught too. And you're right about how quick they are with computers. Eeek! I'm going to bite the bullet today. Wish me luck!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Hey, I just started from Valgal and its sooo fun. I luv it.

(Valgal's dd)

Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dd only did 2 lo's so far. She just turned 8 but she was 7 at the time. I let her use a template and sat next to her to give instructions and to help. The hardest part for her was holding a keyboard key while dragging the mouse with her other hand. She was so proud of her two pages! I imagine it will take a while before she can do it on her own. Especially since I have an English version of Photoshop. I could have bought a Dutch version but back when I started learning it was so much easier to have an English version because all the tutorials were in English, so I just stuck with it. I wouldn't even know the equivalent menu/tool names in Dutch! And kids only learn English in high school, so it might take a while before she can work with it independently...
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just let me daughter to it ... when she had a question she asks but she enjoys figuring everything out herself. And kids are not afraid to try and button and see what happens, unlike us perfectionists lol
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I sat with her and guided her through the process - how to drag and drop, how to resize and how to use the shadow actions and on what. She loved it!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheyanne has PSE 6 on her laptop and she started playing around with it when she was 9 or so. She just does her own thing and learns as she goes. She'll ask me a specific question on how to do something once in a while but for the most part just experiments on her own. She isn't afraid to click on anything and everything to see what it will do. She isn't into scrapping photos so much but loves to edit photos and loves to create "art" - she is quite talented with painting and drawing (unlike me!) so she likes to create her own images.