Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 1/26

What's the last book you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR for the week?

I just finished up The Darwath Trilogy by Barbara Hambly and I LOVED it. These were written about 25 years ago and I can't believe I have never heard of them til now.

The Trilogy includes:

The Time of the Dark

The Walls of Air

The Armies of Daylight

This weekend I read 2 classics -

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and A Room With A View by E.M. Forster

and I'm currently reading:

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

and on audible I'm listening to:

The Name of the Wind Book 1 of the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (which is SOOOO good)

and..next on my TBR is:

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (Book 2 of The Outlander Series)

and probably The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I don't know how you do it Nikki! When do you sleep?

I'm still working my way through the North and South trilogy. I'm almost done with the second book, but it's going slower than I wasn't it to. I just can't find as much time to read as I want, or I fall asleep every time I sit down. I have several books in line to read next, so I'll just have to see what strikes my fancy when the time comes.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished reading Wild which I loved. I'd wanted to read it for awhile but kept putting it off because I was worried it would be Eat Pray Love (which I hated) with hiking. Thankfully it was not.

Now I'm trying to get through Amy Poehler's Yes Please which sadly I'm having a really hard time getting into. Maybe because she spent the beginning of it complaining about how hard it is to write a book and it shows.

Not sure what I'll read next yet.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore- Loved it.

A side note, the cover glows in the dark, which threw me for a loop the first time I saw it glowing on my nightstand as I drifted off to sleep.

Ummm ... A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I told my son I would read the series with him, figuring to work it in with my other reading, but he is powering through a book a day, so I'm having a hard time keeping up and not getting to my other books.

I really want to get to our Book Club read, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished The Girl With a Clock for a Heart. It's a fun thriller -- trying to figure out who is good and who is bad and who is telling the truth and who is lying. It's a light, entertaining, fast read.

I'm 3/4 of the way through our Sweet Reads Book Club choice! I'm really enjoying it.

Tough to say, but I'll either start:

or

Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The last book I read was one my friend wrote. It's not typically a genre I enjoy, but it was a good read. I had no desire to read it, but she gave me a copy... I couldn't exactly avoid it at that point. LOL

Before that, I read Replay which was written in the 80s. It's a bit of a similar premise to our current book club read, and I really really loved it.

I'm currently reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. I'm about 1/2 way through it. I really like it, but it's hard for me to find long stretches of time to read. So, I'm having a bit of difficulty following along when I'm only able to read a chapter or two each evening.

I doubt I'll get to anything else after Harry August this week, but I do have a library book checked out that I need to finish up before it comes due. I don't even remember what it is. Something by Nicholas Sparks. I figure I need a little mindless romantic filler to offset all the thinking I'm having to do in Harry August. LOL
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

first... I LOVED Mr. Penumbra's 24hr bookstore! It was good and different, and just a great read. Second... Dorian Gray is one of those classics that is actually a good read as well lol.

I really loved this book.

I am liking this so far.

I want to read the bookclub book for here but I can not buy anything right now, so next that I already own is
Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished this one yesterday:

Nice easy read and I will probably read the other two at some point. I also liked that it was not dystopian YA which was really nice.

I just started this one and it is the latest in a series I have been reading since law school. I really like this author:

I am also listening to Game of Thrones: A Song of Fire and Ice on Audible.

I will probably read the First Fifteen Lives of Henry August on audible because it is on sale right now. On my Kindle, it is a toss up between the Secret History or Jacques Pepin's New Complete Techniques. Yes I like to read cookbooks.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

SUCH an awesome thread!

I havent been reading all week, but I plan on getting back to the first 15 lives ASAP!

I'm also super excited to see Patrick Rothfuss on your list Nikki! I LOVE him and have been wanting to read that for awhile. Glad to see your glowing recommendation!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
SUCH an awesome thread!

I havent been reading all week, but I plan on getting back to the first 15 lives ASAP!

I'm also super excited to see Patrick Rothfuss on your list Nikki! I LOVE him and have been wanting to read that for awhile. Glad to see your glowing recommendation!
I'm listening to it so it's taking a while..DH has already read this one and The Wise Man's Fear...and Patrick Rothfuss has hinted that the 3rd book will be released this year so hopefully!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Just finished the Nora Roberts Dark Witch (a reread) and beginning Shadow Spell (the 2nd in the trilogy - reread) as the 3rd is now on, and loaded on my reader. But I like to be 'fresh' so I reead the prior ones before I read the new.

Also just finishing up the 4th in the Stephen King Dark Tower Series - Wizard and Glass. I'd never read the series before, and my SIL has the books, so I'm working through them.

I read the First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, excellent, and actually saw a movie with a bit of a similar theme a few weeks ago, Live. Die. Repeat. with Tom Cruise. it was really good.

Next up after Shadow Spell (or maybe at the same time) will be Goldfinch. Highly recommended by a friend.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Liz I think Jasper Frorde books are really fun.

I just read Wild which I enjoyed and The Interestings which was really disappointing. I'm currently reading Station Eleven and so far it's really good.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Landline by Rainbow Rowell. It was on the best books of 2014 at Goodreads and I was all "eh" about it. I just did not connect with anyone in the book.

The Cuckoo's Calling. I am really enjoying this book. I am in the last chapter and find myself unable to put it down. The characters are really interesting and have good back stories. And it's a mystery and I did not put all the pieces together until they were laid out.

the only book I have is In the Woods by Tana French. I hate only having one book in my stash to go to. I may try to hit up the library tonight or tomorrow morning. Otherwise I have Wool on my nook and a few others sitting there.