Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Need some advice

I am planning on selling quite a few of my textbooks for nursing school on a site similar to ebay - I don't want to price them too high but I also want to recoup what I think I spent on them (I cant remember how much I bought each book for) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to price them.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think that depends on a number of things. How much are they priced when new? Are they still up to date? Are there any others being sold on ebay or the other site? How much are they asking for it? I know from experience that books don't do to well when priced high, except when they're rare books. I would try to find the answers to the questions above and then you'll have a better idea on how to price them.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

for the most part they are current and the prices I am thinking is sort of the lower end of what is on the site at the moment. I am offering them through facebook to my friends that are going into nursing school first.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Check online for companies that buy back used textbooks, the price theyoffer would be my starting price. This is especially helpful since textbooks are replaced with new editions every couple of years.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if you have amazon, but we always sold our textbooks through half.com.

When I worked at a used textbook store I would search up the book by ISBN and price it just below another book that sounded like a similar quality. The best time to sell is at the beginning of the semester, like the first week or two when people can still return the books they bought from the book store.

The used textbook market prices are way lower than what you actually spent on them, so just be happy that you are getting anything back. Especially if you are selling to friends, as they may expect a better deal from you than from a website. Just remind them that they won't have to pay shipping.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I was going to suggest amazon.com, too, if it's available for NZ. Joel just submitted a few of his text books for resale there. You put in the ISBN number, they tell you how much they'd give you for it. If you choose to sell it, they have to approve it. Then, you ship the books to them & they give you money.

If that's not available where you live, I would do some comparison shopping online and see how much they are going for. Then, price them comparable.

I hope you don't have to sell them, though, and nursing school all works out for you!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately, students almost always lose money on textbooks. Check the various used book sites to see what a fair price is and also be sure to match the ISBN exactly and ensure the edition is the same. Textbook publishers often will quickly publish new editions (sometimes with only minimal changes) to keep the prices high on new books and essentially making the older editions worthless.