Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-24-2019, 05:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Weekend Scrapbook Retreats

I haven't been on a weekend scrapbook retreat in ages, but when I did go, I LOVED them! There was a lady up in the mountains in CA who held them in her house. She would have a massage therapist come out one day (for an extra charge), she would cook all the meals, and had all the tools needed. I was a paper scrapper at the time and had to haul so much stuff with me!! It was fun to get away, but a pain to get ready for. It would be so much easier as a digiscrapper!

Have you ever been to a weekend scrapbook (or other craft) retreat?

I have scrap/craft days at our house once in a while, but I have really toyed with the idea of holding weekend retreats someday. I would definitely need a much bigger house!!
Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes - It has been several years but I used to go with my cousins to a cabin in Lake Tahoe!! We had a combination of both paper/digi scrappers. We'd pop in movies, talk, scrap, eat, play in Tahoe!! It was AWESOME!
Old 09-24-2019, 05:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
Yes - It has been several years but I used to go with my cousins to a cabin in Lake Tahoe!! We had a combination of both paper/digi scrappers. We'd pop in movies, talk, scrap, eat, play in Tahoe!! It was AWESOME!
Sounds awesome, Kjersti!! It's so nice to have girl time!!
Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

years and years ago when Creative Memories was all the rage I used to go to crops. My friend was a consultant and always had a tonne of stuff for people to use.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've never been on a weekend crop, but I do go to a local all day (9-9) at a local church. All crafters are welcome... there are mostly paper scrappers, a couple digi, some quilters, card makers ,and all kinds of crafters. This Saturday is the next one. I can't wait!!!!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I've ever done a weekend anything

Back in the day when I was a paper scrapper, we would go to people's houses at our church once a month on a Saturday. I did that every once in a while, but then I found digi and never really did anything with other crafters again

Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I went on one weekend retreat...it was held at a summer camp (summer camp is my favorite place in the whole world!!) in the off-season. It was so fun! I went with a friend...we were invited by one of the hosts, a girl we knew from college.

The ladies at the paper-scrap website that was my "home" for many years talked about organizing one in a cabin or beach house, but it hasn't yet come to fruition...
Old 09-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I paper scrapped, my Creative Memories consultant would have weekend retreats! She rented a beach house one year and we spent a couple days scrapping, taking photos and just relaxing at the beach (it was early May, so it wasn't lay on the beach weather, more just see the sights).

She would also have weekend scraps where you showed up for a day and just scrapped!

They were both amazing and it would be on the one thing about paper scrapping I actually miss! I would love to get together with other scrappers! Chatting, sharing ideas, seeing what others were working on, snacking on food, shopping as needed...it was all so much fun!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For the past few years, my mom and I have traveled to a crop a couple hours from here once a year and spent all day Saturday scrapping. The fee we pay is for breakfast, snacks, & dinner. We bring our own lunch & drinks (although they have water, juice, and pop, too). We then rent a hotel room and spend the night before coming back Sunday morning.

I purposely don't ask for the WiFi password so that I don't get distracted with shiny Internet things. Last year I got 12 pages done in 12 hours! It's the most productive I am all year.

I don't go to crops otherwise but my mom goes to big scrapbook expos, etc. now that she's retired and crops at those. She used to crop at our LSS until they all closed down.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
years and years ago when Creative Memories was all the rage I used to go to crops. My friend was a consultant and always had a tonne of stuff for people to use.
LOL! I was a CM consultant, too. I had crops every other Saturday. It was SO fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I've never been on a weekend crop, but I do go to a local all day (9-9) at a local church. All crafters are welcome... there are mostly paper scrappers, a couple digi, some quilters, card makers ,and all kinds of crafters. This Saturday is the next one. I can't wait!!!!!!
It's so fun having a weekend away to focus on you! I have crocheters and paper scrappers that come to the ones I do at home now. It's fun no matter what craft someone does.
Have fun on Saturday!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

Back in the day when I was a paper scrapper, we would go to people's houses at our church once a month on a Saturday. I did that every once in a while, but then I found digi and never really did anything with other crafters again
Aaaaw!!! Maybe you ought to start some in your area? Or, if I ever get my weekend retreats up & running, you can come here
Old 09-25-2019, 01:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I went on one weekend retreat...it was held at a summer camp (summer camp is my favorite place in the whole world!!) in the off-season. It was so fun! I went with a friend...we were invited by one of the hosts, a girl we knew from college.

The ladies at the paper-scrap website that was my "home" for many years talked about organizing one in a cabin or beach house, but it hasn't yet come to fruition...
That's awesome, Rebecca! I hope you will all get together!!
It would be fun to plan an SSD retreat weekend...maybe somewhere cheap to fly into, like Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
When I paper scrapped, my Creative Memories consultant would have weekend retreats! She rented a beach house one year and we spent a couple days scrapping, taking photos and just relaxing at the beach (it was early May, so it wasn't lay on the beach weather, more just see the sights).

She would also have weekend scraps where you showed up for a day and just scrapped!

They were both amazing and it would be on the one thing about paper scrapping I actually miss! I would love to get together with other scrappers! Chatting, sharing ideas, seeing what others were working on, snacking on food, shopping as needed...it was all so much fun!
Oh, a beach house would be amazing for retreats!!
I agree, Dawn... It's so much fun to get together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
For the past few years, my mom and I have traveled to a crop a couple hours from here once a year and spent all day Saturday scrapping. The fee we pay is for breakfast, snacks, & dinner. We bring our own lunch & drinks (although they have water, juice, and pop, too). We then rent a hotel room and spend the night before coming back Sunday morning.

I purposely don't ask for the WiFi password so that I don't get distracted with shiny Internet things. Last year I got 12 pages done in 12 hours! It's the most productive I am all year.

I don't go to crops otherwise but my mom goes to big scrapbook expos, etc. now that she's retired and crops at those. She used to crop at our LSS until they all closed down.
What a fun activity to do with your mom, LeeAndra! Not getting the wifi password is a great idea!! Maybe I should have my hubby change our password every night, then I'd be much more productive
Old 09-25-2019, 01:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That sounds amazing! I have never been, but it sounds so fun to get together with others and scrap and chat.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
That sounds amazing! I have never been, but it sounds so fun to get together with others and scrap and chat.
It really is fun, Mary!! I hope you'll go to one sometime!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did go to some weekend scrapping retreats. I took a desktop once to scrap before I had a laptop! LOL I do miss them....
Wish we could meet up for DSD!
Old 09-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I go to scrapbooking weekends! I have a friend in Atlanta that sells Creative Memories and she hosts the weekends. We all stay in a hotel or something like that. It's fun to get together.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I did go to some weekend scrapping retreats. I took a desktop once to scrap before I had a laptop! LOL I do miss them....
Wow!! Taking your desktop is a lot of work. I prefer my desktop, but I don't think I'd take it to a retreat
I wish we could meet up for DSD, too!! Wouldn't that be awesome?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahfig View Post
I go to scrapbooking weekends! I have a friend in Atlanta that sells Creative Memories and she hosts the weekends. We all stay in a hotel or something like that. It's fun to get together.
I thought CM went out of business? So, do you digi scrap when you go, or are you still paper scrapping?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I have thought about taking my desktop... its much faster than my laptop and a much bigger screen... but part of me just doesn't want to take it all apart... But if the laptop died I would def bring it!

Old 09-26-2019, 05:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've never done that and I don't know that I ever will with my anxiety to meet new people. lol
Old 09-26-2019, 09:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'd love to do something like that! Every once in a VERY long while I'll get a day to myself to scrap, but I've never gotten to do any kind of retreat or weekend. Ten or so years ago there was a scrappers expo at a convention center in the DC area and I signed up for an afternoon crop. I can't remember anymore, but I think it might have been an all-digital crop within a paper convention. I didn't know anyone, but it was still fun to go be with other scrappers and get some pages done.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Haha, CM went out of business but is back! They actually sell some digi stuff too. I do digital scrapbooking. I just bring my laptop with me. Of course everyone else has a whole car load of stuff. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I thought CM went out of business? So, do you digi scrap when you go, or are you still paper scrapping?
Old 09-27-2019, 03:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I've never done that and I don't know that I ever will with my anxiety to meet new people. lol
Aaaw! I'm sorry that it would cause you anxiety, Lea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I'd love to do something like that! Every once in a VERY long while I'll get a day to myself to scrap, but I've never gotten to do any kind of retreat or weekend. Ten or so years ago there was a scrappers expo at a convention center in the DC area and I signed up for an afternoon crop. I can't remember anymore, but I think it might have been an all-digital crop within a paper convention. I didn't know anyone, but it was still fun to go be with other scrappers and get some pages done.
There are places all over the country that hold retreats. I hope you'll get to do one sometime, Rachel!

Quote:
Haha, CM went out of business but is back! They actually sell some digi stuff too. I do digital scrapbooking. I just bring my laptop with me. Of course everyone else has a whole car load of stuff. lol
Got it. It's fun being a digi scrapper when people are hauling their stuff in!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never went to a weekend but I did go to Friday night events that my local TLC consultant would hold at her church. Those were fun. I wish there were something like that to go to now.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

That was me last Saturday... had my first page almost done before those sweet ladies had their wagons and carts unpacked and set up.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:17 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I used to go to weekend retreats twice a year with a group of friends I made from a pocket-scrapping FB group (2012-2014). I miss it a lot and it was the absolute highlight of my year back then. Unfortunately the two organisers had a falling-out after that, and no one really picked up reorganising the retreats again (a real shame!). I was the only digiscrapper in the group back then, so my laptop was a constant source of fascination for the women there at the time.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 10-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

My girlfriend was a CM consultant and held crops regularly. As soon as I started digital, I was in it for good. I would still take my laptop to her crops and hang out with the other ladies. For at least a year I was the only laptop there. I loved being with the group and fed off that, so I couldn't stop.

I miss weekend crops. We are planning a "croptoberfest" in November. There's just three of us who try to come together every couple of months, but we are longing for the old days with more than six or eight hours of together time. So we just decided to do it ourselves. lol
Old 10-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhuddle View Post
My girlfriend was a CM consultant and held crops regularly. As soon as I started digital, I was in it for good. I would still take my laptop to her crops and hang out with the other ladies. For at least a year I was the only laptop there. I loved being with the group and fed off that, so I couldn't stop.

I miss weekend crops. We are planning a "croptoberfest" in November. There's just three of us who try to come together every couple of months, but we are longing for the old days with more than six or eight hours of together time. So we just decided to do it ourselves. lol
I joined the local scrappers here in Kentucky. They are having a meet-up in January. I'm debating whether or not going because I don't own a laptop and scrap exclusively on my computer. The goal was when we got here to Ky to buy a laptop because I'm always on the go, but other things came first (those pesky bills) and now I'm afraid it might be a dream for another time and nothing anything soon.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap2day View Post
I never went to a weekend but I did go to Friday night events that my local TLC consultant would hold at her church. Those were fun. I wish there were something like that to go to now.
I hope you can find something you can go to!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
That was me last Saturday... had my first page almost done before those sweet ladies had their wagons and carts unpacked and set up.
That's awesome, Stacy!! How fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurian View Post
I used to go to weekend retreats twice a year with a group of friends I made from a pocket-scrapping FB group (2012-2014). I miss it a lot and it was the absolute highlight of my year back then. Unfortunately the two organisers had a falling-out after that, and no one really picked up reorganising the retreats again (a real shame!). I was the only digiscrapper in the group back then, so my laptop was a constant source of fascination for the women there at the time.
That's a bummer, Rebecca! Maybe you should organize it?
Old 10-12-2019, 04:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhuddle View Post

I'm so glad you decided to do it yourselves!! That will be so much fun! I can't wait to hear about it!

Quote:
I joined the local scrappers here in Kentucky. They are having a meet-up in January. I'm debating whether or not going because I don't own a laptop and scrap exclusively on my computer. The goal was when we got here to Ky to buy a laptop because I'm always on the go, but other things came first (those pesky bills) and now I'm afraid it might be a dream for another time and nothing anything soon.
I hope you'll be able to get a laptop so you can go, Wendy! That would be so fun.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never went to weekend or overnight retreats but I would go to crops all the time. I had one of those big rolling totes that I would take filled with stuff. I used to be pretty productive and get a lot done at crops. They were held in a scrapbooking store so I always spent a lot while I was there too. That was a drawback! I remember my husband sending me to crops when our oldest was a tiny baby. I hated to be away from her, even for a few hours, but he insisted.

Once I went digital, all the crops and social scrapping (in person) stopped.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I never went to weekend or overnight retreats but I would go to crops all the time. I had one of those big rolling totes that I would take filled with stuff. I used to be pretty productive and get a lot done at crops. They were held in a scrapbooking store so I always spent a lot while I was there too. That was a drawback! I remember my husband sending me to crops when our oldest was a tiny baby. I hated to be away from her, even for a few hours, but he insisted.

Once I went digital, all the crops and social scrapping (in person) stopped.
I only went to one crop after I fully switched to digital. It was so funny watching ladies hauling in their stuff and setting up while I pulled out my laptop and scrapped!

I still have a hard time going into scrapbook stores because I still want all the pretty stuff!!!