Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl
Default How old were your kids when they lost their first tooth???

Abby had a little accident w/ a box today and now we have a loose bottom tooth. She's 5. I am still waiting on a nurse to call me back.. but is this okay or should I be totally freaking out right now?? Also when do they get their "adult" teeth?? Is she going to be toothless for like years?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

My nephew started losing his at 5 and a few months (front two teeth on top). I don't think you should worry too much about it. He's 6 now and both of those have already come in.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

There's really nothing you can do about it, but wait until it falls out.

I had NO front teeth, top OR bottom, for a good while as a kid. She'll be fine
Old 01-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kaylie just turned 7 last month and she has lost 3 so far on the bottom and has one more loose down there. The first two adult teeth are already in, but the one she just lost over Xmas break isn't yet. It's only been since school started that she started loosing them, but I know there were kids in her kindergarten class last year that lost teeth. So I'm sure Abby will be just fine if it does come out, she'll probably think it's pretty cool actually!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I think a lot of kids start losing teeth around 5. And maybe she'll be glad that her tooth is loose. It is such a big deal for the kids that age. My daughter went the whole kindergarten year without losing any teeth and she was soooo sad about it, because all the other kids were losing their teeth. She ended up losing her first tooth right before she turned 7. She's since lost her 4 bottom front teeth and 2 new ones have came in.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

kylie was 5 when she lost her first tooth - each of hers has taken awhile to come in, but I think she pulls/wiggles them too soon...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Don't panic either way. This one may not come out for a long time. As for lost teeth, it varies a lot from kid to kid. My 5 year old lost his first at 5 years and 2 mo and the adult tooth was already through the gums. He got his first baby teeth at 4 months, so it makes sense he'd get these early too. I think 6 is about average.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

JP was 5½ when he lost his first tooth. Devin hasn't lost any yet, he's 6y2mo.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

As a dental assistant, I can assure you that she'll be fine.

The age range for when they start to lose their teeth varies. I was talking to KCB about this very thing today. Her 4 year old has actually lost more teeth than my 11 year old. LOL! I'm not joking.

The bottom front teeth are the first ones they lose, and therefor the first perm teeth that grow back in. On average, most kids lose those around kindergarten or 1st grade.

*HUGS* I know it's scary, but there's nothing to worry about here.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Garrett lost his front bottom teeth last year (age 5) and just lost one of his top chompers 2 nights ago.

My niece hit her front teeth really hard and they were loose for a while but now they aren't. She was 4 at the time.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

ack 5? seriously? LOL.. I thought I had a whole lotta more years before I had to worry abotu teeth falling out lol
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 AM

profile gallery send pm

Sara texted me. She's taking Abby in right now to have it pulled per the dentists orders. Something it aspirating? I dunno. But that's where Sara went.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I'd say around 5 or 6...I taught K for years and the majority of my students had at least one missing tooth while they were in my classroom.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hi
My DS1 lost his first one around 4-1/2 and my DS2 is 5 and a couple of months and still hasn't lost any. Your dentist probably has xays(or can take them) and see how far along the permanent teeth are under the surface. In the case of my DS2, he has several loose teeth, and in his xays, you can see the permanent teeth, but so far... no lost teeth yet. You are probably just fine.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kristen lost her two front teeth in an accident when she was 3...she's 6 1/2 now and we're still waiting for them to come through. She lost her bottom front ones last February naturally when she was 5 1/2. So I would think that if the tooth comes out, you won't have long to wait for the adult one to come though. Not 3-4 years at least. LOL
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
Sara texted me. She's taking Abby in right now to have it pulled per the dentists orders. Something it aspirating? I dunno. But that's where Sara went.
Yeah, it's possible she might swallow it so they're probably yanking it just in case.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

DD lost her first at 4.5. DS lost his at almost 6. My nephew got his two top teeth knocked out by me chasing him into a fireplace at 18 months. He went until 7 or so without them!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Funny you ask this - Wes is 5 (just turned 5 at the end of September). In August (so he was still 4!!), he was eating some dry Cap'n Crunch cereal, bit into a piece and started yelling to me and freaking out 'cause one of his bottom front teeth fell out. I was a little freaked out too, 'cause we hadn't noticed that it had been loose or anything. Called the dentist, got him in that afternoon. Dentist said he may just be a little early or there may have been damage up to even a year ago that could cause the process to start earlier. We thought it was probably damage and were bracing ourselves for a possible couple of years with a hole in his mouth. His permanent tooth began growing in a few weeks later.

Then just a couple weeks ago on Christmas Day, he bit into some hard candy and the other front bottom tooth became loose. It finally fell out last Sunday at lunch, but the permanent tooth had already started growing in before it fell out.

Claire, my 3 1/2 year old got kneed in the mouth by another kid on a jumpy thing at the fair this year. One of her top front teeth was knocked a little loose, but we left it alone for a while, tried to be very gentle with it during eating and brushing, etc. and it's fine now.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter will be 5 in a couple of weeks and she lost her 2 bottom middle teeth in November. The adult teeth were already in so they pushed out the baby teeth. It only took a week or so for the adult teeth to take over the empty spot.

It's probably not a big deal and I'll bet her adult tooth will be on their way in the next year or so, maybe sooner.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

we're home.. they wouldn't pull it, although now we know she loosened TWO of them. She told me she's never ever biting a box again.

She does have a gum laceration and they're more worried about that then the teeth themselves, there was some bleeding.

I did manage to find a dentist that is open tomorrow, so we're hopefully going to get her in there and get her gums and the teeth checked out.

Thanks girls!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

((Hugs)) Glad all seems ok! Will be hoping for the best tomorrow!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Both my girls lost their first tooth in Kindergarten. My oldest was 5 years 9 months and my youngest DD was 5 years 7 months. However my youngest DD got her first loose tooth at 3 years of age...yes it was loose for over 2 years!!!!!

It's good that you still called their nurse because a natural loose tooth and one that was knocked loose are totally different...no matter what age!!!

I haven't read any of the replies so I'm hoping you have heard back from the nurse and gotten some peace of mind!!!!

Big giant hugs to mommy and Abby!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Most kids start losing teeth at age 5... and it's nearly always a bottom tooth. Regan lost her 1st TWO teeth on the first day of Kindergarten... and they were the bottom front ones.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Okay girls and Aaron.. what does the tooth fairy pay these days? Just in case. LOL The tooth fairy probably needs to go to the bank.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

The tooth fairy here pays $2, but we have a $2 coin up here, so it works well. They get $5 for the first tooth.

Benjamin was 5 and had no front teeth at all for awhile (top or bottom LOL). Amelia is almost 6, and only has 1 loose, none missing. The one that's loose is only that way because of a Wii accident last Christmas. They told us it was fine, and just to leave it.

If it makes a difference, Benjamin was 5 months old when he got his first tooth, but Amelia was 11 months before she got a tooth. I have heard this makes a difference as to when they lose them, but i don't know.

I hope you get to see someone and they'll let you know what's best! I'd say at this age, if the teeth are ok, they'd probably leave them. I see that Libby posted to you, and she was a great help to me, and good at reassuring me, after Amelia got hit in the mouth too LOL.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The Tooth Fairy here pays $2. Glad to hear she won't be biting any more boxes, LOL! When I was in K, I got the bright idea to sit my younger brother on a blanket and pull it using my teeth.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well we have a dentist appt at 12:15 today.. they are more concerned about the gum laceration than her teeth but they said they were going to do xrays. Thanks to Libby I was able to tell them exactly which teeth were loose. LOL

I've already sent a message to Mr Tooth Fairy to get some cash just in case.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have been wondering about this, since Emma just had 3 of her top teeth pulled. She's 3. Chloe just turned 6 and she hasn't lost any yet. so if the bottom ones are first, then there's a chance at some point that Emma will have no bottom teeth or top teeth?? Great. poor kid.

oh, she's doing fine btw. i don't know if i ever updated after her surgery. the stitches dissolved after about a week. she manages to use the side teeth to eat things like apple slices and last night we had KFC and she did fine with a drumstick, though i still did my mommy act and pulled pieces off for her . and she doesn't complain about them hurting anymore, so that is whats important, i keep telling myself!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

HA! Glad I could help! Grab me on yahoo or FB later and let me know how she's doing,ok?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Weifenbach View Post
HA! Glad I could help! Grab me on yahoo or FB later and let me know how she's doing,ok?
will do hon. they were all impressed when i told them what you told me to say.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My ds just started loosing his teeth last year and he's 6 and that's b/c the other one's were already growing in

Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The tooth fairy paid $1 and a hot wheel for the bottom teeth each time and for the top tooth it was $3. I guess the top teeth are worth more? Or my the tooth fairy felt guilty because the poor child's tooth had to be pulled out by his daddy. His daddy was afraid he would swallow it because the tooth was just barely hanging on.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 AM

profile gallery send pm

$5! My kids are getting 50 cents from the tooth fairy. I figure that's an upgrade from the 25 I got as a kid

Keep us posted hon! I'm thinkin of you guys today.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
Okay girls and Aaron.. what does the tooth fairy pay these days? Just in case. LOL The tooth fairy probably needs to go to the bank.
My kids got $5 for the first one and them a $1 for each consecutive tooth!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LOL!!! no, she isn't going to be toothless for years. she would naturally start losing between anytime now and 6 years old. mason fell at disneyland when he was 2 and knocked a tooth loose. it ended up staying in place just fine. it darkened a little but that was all. it could heal up and stay put for a while unless it's really really loose. i wouldn't worry though. she's gonna start being toothless anyway.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
My kids got $5 for the first one and them a $1 for each consecutive tooth!!!
holy crap. you put our fairy to shame.

$2 for the first tooth and $1 afterwards.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kaylie got a $1 per tooth, but she's only lost 3 on the bottom so far. I think she has two on top that are loose so I'm sure the tooth fairy will be visiting us again soon!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well they pulled it!! He said the other tooth is coming out any time now. There were no roots left on either tooth. They took an xray and her permanent teeth are like literally RIGHT THERE. He said she maybe advanced the process by a week or two. LOL

She asked him to please pull it out so that she could eat, and it was barely in there, so he did.

I think we're doing $2 a tooth.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

awwwww...can't wait to see that toothless grin!!! Glad you got it all resovled.