Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 10/14 Games

Do you play any games? Faves as a child? Faves now?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No laughing....I still love Battleship! In fact, when my little nephew sends a notification to play Battleship over the phone I always play!!!

Rae - what's your fave?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a kid, we played scrabble all the time and word boggle. We also played a lot of card games, crazy eights, rummy, blackout (can't remember the rules to that one anymore).

My whole family loved nintendo, play station, etc. My mom was the Zelda champ and would spend hours and hours, up all night, playing until she cracked a code.

Nowadays we play rummy with Bailey and on my phone I play wordscapes, otherwise I prefer to be online browsing or scrapping, or reading a book to playing games.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Board games were huge in my family. Monopoly, Life, Sequence, backgammon and yahtzee got played a lot. We would spend all night playing Sorry.

I cringe when I think about all the junk food we would consume as we played
Old 10-14-2019, 01:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I currently play:
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 1 & 2
Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
These are xbox games that I'll play on my own. I do play Minecraft with my husband and son when they bug me too much about it!

As far as card games, I love Books & Runs, Rummy, Euchre, Spades. Pretty much any card game I'm open to playing. When I am visiting with my parents or they me, my dad and I play Books & Run at least one time a day. It's "our time" together and no one else is invited to play with us.

Board games - I enjoy them like Blokus but with our last move, our boxes of board games went missing and we currently only have our Munchkin games. With that, the ages of the kids, we probably won't be replacing them.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love to play board games even when I was young, I love to play with my siblings and cousins. We also love to play competitive chess. Then growing up I discovered Patapon on sony psp and I loved it! And there's also an all time favorite Mario game.

Currently I'm playing Word Cookie, Township, Alto's Adventure & Alto Odyssey, Pokemon and Wizarding world on my phone.

When I have the time, I still play Mario on switch. But weekends is for family boardgame.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We played everything when I was young.

Currently I play Playstation 4...Little Big Planet 3. I like the Lego worlds games on PS4 too.

I used to love playing Super Mario but don't have a Wii or Switch....I want to remedy that at tax time. LOL

We play Skip Bo, Uno, War, and Gin Rummy. We also like the board games, Scrabble, HuggerMugger and Clue

Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have loads of games, and my son loves to play games... but it's hard to as a family. My husband rather play cards - I rather do a board game... my son will do anything if we just would play with him. I don't think I have a favorite... we have some we enjoy more than others - homeschooling, we have a lot of different educational games.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I love playing scrabbles, monopoly and Chinese chess (halma - that's how we called it at home). My son loves monopoly and chess. We play them every now and then.
For fun, we love UNO card!
Old 10-15-2019, 01:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I cringe when I think about all the junk food we would consume as we played
I think you're supposed to eat junk food and play games!!
Old 10-15-2019, 01:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We play Uno a lot too as a family.
As a kid I loved to play monopoly or clue.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband and son LOVE games, and sometimes they talk me into it too. I like games like Scrabble, Boggle, and Blokus, but my son prefers games like Catan and Ticket to Ride. Which are also good. We like Dutch Blitz too. My husband is a total chess nerd--he has books about it. That's nerdy. (also kinda sexy, but don't tell him I think so!)

Old 10-15-2019, 05:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As a kid, I loved games. As an only child, I didn't always have someone to play with. My parents bought games, but never wanted to play them.

I still enjoy card games, cribbage and occasionally a board game. We have loads of board games, but my boys have rarely expressed interest in anything other than video games
Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I play a few games on my iPad. I get bored with them pretty easily though so I am always rotating through different games.

Its silly, but I really love to play Bop-it! I haven't met a version I don't like!

We play family games and I like Apples to Apples. Monopoly, Life and Pay Day are also favorites!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
I think you're supposed to eat junk food and play games!!
We are NOT allowed to eat when we play games. My husband gets so annoyed when we try to eat because chances are one of the kids will spill something. So when we play games, no food or drinks

My dad and I usually are eating lunch when we are playing cards!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
My husband and son LOVE games, and sometimes they talk me into it too. I like games like Scrabble, Boggle, and Blokus, but my son prefers games like Catan and Ticket to Ride. Which are also good. We like Dutch Blitz too. My husband is a total chess nerd--he has books about it. That's nerdy. (also kinda sexy, but don't tell him I think so!)
wish you lived closer! I LOVE Dutch Blitz! Played it all the time in high school and college. Now it's hard to find people who know how to play it or want to play it.

Do you play Rook by any chance?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a closet + full of board games! We usually get a new one each year!
Just yesterday my girls had 2 of their guy friends over and they played- Clue, cheaters Monopoly, Dutch Blitz, Uno attack, and I think that was it!

On my phone I play euchre (I've only learned this past year, so it's to improve my skills), and sudoku.

Some of our favorite board/card games are: dutch Blitz, Blockus, Apples to Apples, battleship, Outburst, Scattergories, Uno, Golf, king's corner, spoons, Solitaire, Pictionary and MANY more!
Old 10-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Love to play cards games.... Telefunkin, Phase 10 are fun!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 10-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I play Euchre with a group of ladies - we've been playing every month for 17 years! I also play 31 with neighbors. Play solitaire on my phone. We like the Jackbox games and Telestrations with groups of people. My kids like D & D and video games.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are a game family! We play games ALL the time. Board games, card games..it makes no difference. We love them all.

Some of my favs are Rook, Spades, Gin Runny, Uno, Blockus, Rummikub Mexican Train, Sequence, Apples to Apples and Twister.

We generally get at least one new game at Christmas. I am happy to see this thread and learn about new games I haven't heard about.

My siblings swear that I learned how to count keeping score when I was a kid. I have the fondest memories of playing rummy with my Grandparents, Great Uncle and my Daddy.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My parents love to play games, so I grew up playing all kinds of games. My personal favorite growing up was Monopoly (which I can't stand now LOL), followed closely by Clue. My husband and sons love strategy games and love to work hard to beat each other (which my daughter & I don't love because we prefer everyone to be happy at the game end LOL) - Scythe, Dominion, Catan, chess etc. I prefer board, card and word type games that are less strategy heavy (Bananagrams, pinochle, Tossed Salad, Rage, Wits & Wagers). The only game I have on my phone right now is wordscapes.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:30 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

On my phone I play Sudoku, which is perfect, no competition with others. I had Yahtzee and that got out of hand with like 60 games going at one time. But Sudoku, I do like one game a day, maybe two, takes 10-15 minutes and I'm done. Helps me fall asleep...

My family loves board games. Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Bohnanza, Ticket to Ride, etc HATE Monopoly but I'll play Monopoly JR with my kids- doesn't take hours!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:09 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

as child i played a lot of family games like rummikub, yathzee, scotland yard, monopoly and card games and many more.
Now we play a lot of games with our kids too. I had multiple faves a s kid as i have now too and most are the same like magic labyrinth, rummikub, twister, scrabble
Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I currently play:
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 1 & 2
Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
These are xbox games that I'll play on my own. I do play Minecraft with my husband and son when they bug me too much about it!

As far as card games, I love Books & Runs, Rummy, Euchre, Spades. Pretty much any card game I'm open to playing. When I am visiting with my parents or they me, my dad and I play Books & Run at least one time a day. It's "our time" together and no one else is invited to play with us.

Board games - I enjoy them like Blokus but with our last move, our boxes of board games went missing and we currently only have our Munchkin games. With that, the ages of the kids, we probably won't be replacing them.
We love euchre too. My parents would play a lot with their friends on the wkend and I was taught when I was about 9 or 10. I taught my hubs and kids how to play. My mom joined a seniors euchre card group in her later years and they had tournaments a few times a year between all the local centers. I loved hearing her excitement about it.

I had to look up books and runs, hadn't heard that before, but once I googled it I saw it is the same or similar to contract rummy which we also loved. Can't play that with Bailey as it's too complicated for her to handle now but I sure have fond memories of the game.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
We played everything when I was young.

Currently I play Playstation 4...Little Big Planet 3. I like the Lego worlds games on PS4 too.

I used to love playing Super Mario but don't have a Wii or Switch....I want to remedy that at tax time. LOL

We play Skip Bo, Uno, War, and Gin Rummy. We also like the board games, Scrabble, HuggerMugger and Clue
Kiana - we too played Uno and Skip Bo a lot. Forgot about those games.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
As a kid, I loved games. As an only child, I didn't always have someone to play with. My parents bought games, but never wanted to play them.

I still enjoy card games, cribbage and occasionally a board game. We have loads of board games, but my boys have rarely expressed interest in anything other than video games
Sheri - ya, I get it....I am an only child too. When young, most of my friends didn't play cards so luckily my parents and other family did so I got to participate in game night quite a bit. I was excited as an adult to teach a few friends how to play euchre and we used to play for hours.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephc777 View Post
My parents love to play games, so I grew up playing all kinds of games. My personal favorite growing up was Monopoly (which I can't stand now LOL), followed closely by Clue. My husband and sons love strategy games and love to work hard to beat each other (which my daughter & I don't love because we prefer everyone to be happy at the game end LOL) - Scythe, Dominion, Catan, chess etc. I prefer board, card and word type games that are less strategy heavy (Bananagrams, pinochle, Tossed Salad, Rage, Wits & Wagers). The only game I have on my phone right now is wordscapes.
Steph....my hubs got me playing wordscapes recently. Him and a couple of guys from work all play and try to outdo each other in moving up the levels. It's a great game that we can play with Bailey when out at a restaurant and she loves it now too. I like word games.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We like to play Left Center Right...we play for quarters though.

I play Mahjong and Toy Story Drop on my phone.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
We like to play Left Center Right...we play for quarters though.
We love LCR! Actually planning to teach my kindergarteners to play this next week... we'll play for sight words instead of quarters
Old 10-17-2019, 10:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Games are my favorite!! I spent every day after school & all summer with my grandma when I was a kid and we loved playing games together. We played lots of Uno, a great variety of 1960s board games that were in her basement (these are what I wanted most from her house when she passed away, but sadly they had been water-damaged) and lots of card games, either just the two of us or with her "lady friends" that came over for coffee in the mornings. If her monthly bunco game fell on a school break, I went with--tonight is my bunco night & I always think of playing with my grandma's group!

We play games quite often, I'd say at least 4-5 days a week here at home. This past week, we've played Tenzi, Garbage, Sequence and an addition/subtraction game called Math Room.
I love word games, my husband prefers dice games or card games that require some strategic thinking. My 8 year old likes card games (he's an excellent poker player!) and my 5 year old usually picks Sequence or a roll & move board game.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
We love LCR! Actually planning to teach my kindergarteners to play this next week... we'll play for sight words instead of quarters
Probably more appropriate.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We play LCR at holidays with the in-laws. It's fun! I didn't play too many games as a child because my siblings were so much older than me. Once they played 52 Pick Up with me, I knew I wasn't fun to play with. Right now I play The Simpsons Tapped Out and My Singing Monsters on my phone.