Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Changing Careers Input

I've been contemplating a career change for many years now and I'm in a position right now where that could be possible. I'm considering a few paths and I want to job shadow before making any decisions.

Have any of you job shadowed? If so, how did you go about asking to job shadow? How long do you shadow?

Anything else recommended?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

are you going to be a spy?!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

that'd be way cool
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I've never shadowed.. but i've had other people shadow me,and it was annoying hahaha. I have no advice.. I just decided my other reply wasn't really sufficient. lol
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no real advice.... we were made to do job shadowing in High School, We had to do it for a week (which I think is a good time frame... to see what a usual work week would be like). Most (including me) didn't really take it seriously at that point in our lives (we were 15 at the time... who does a job shadow THAT early and chooses something they really like and takes it seriously at that age?)... Do you know anyone in the field? It might be easier if it were someone you knew cause you could ask a lot of questions and feel less "in the way"... or even if they knew someone you know... anything that could give a little common ground may make it easier and more apt for you to get a lot out of the experience.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My college's career center will match alumni with others willing to let them shadow. If you don't personally know someone you could shadow, maybe a school you've attended does the same.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jenn, I really think it depends on the industry. Which is probably not what you want to hear. What type of positions are you thinking of? It may be difficult to arrange a job shadows for many types of roles, since many employers won't allow someone to bring an external person into the workplace for that purpose.

I would start by setting up information interviews with people you know in the industry. If you're actively interviewing, you can certainly ask for a job shadow as part of the recruiting process. For people in your social network, ask to meet them for coffee (or a drink, whatever you prefer) and just ask a lot of questions about what their days are like, what they like, don't like, etc ... just remember, most people are happy to help! I've been asked for information interviews plenty of times and I really never turn them down. If I can tell someone isn't a good fit for the role, I will gently tell them about some of aspects they may not find desirable. LinkedIn is a good resource for finding people. If you have a connection that knows someone that can help, you can ask for an introduction.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I did in high school, too, for an afternoon. It was neat. I shadowed an architect. I still regret changing majors. I would have loved it still, I believe.