Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Random Question - Windows (the kind you open or close ;) haha)

Thanks to a comment on a different post from Brook on this matter lol

Do you keep your windows open or shut when it's nice out?

I realize it's probably pretty common for most people to keep theirs open but I almost always have ours shut. I really hate hearing outdoor sounds and at the same time I don't want people to have to hear us! LOL!

I WISH I lived in the middle of nowhere where it is quiet and I don't have to hear anyone else. I kinda hate going into our backyard because it never fails someone else is always playing music or something. I just want to hear birds and nature sounds in peace.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also keep the windows shut most of the time because I live on one of the busiest streets in town and the traffic is crazy. So, yeah, I hate the neverending sound of cars!
--
Mama to Albert
Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly we don't have the opportunity very often but if it's nice, they're open. That being said, if someone's mowing or kids are screaming, dogs are barking etc. I'm shutting them.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Open I love fresh air and I love hearing the birds sing and smelling the fresh outdoors. We sit back off the road here at our new house too and are completely private, I could scream and no one would know where it was coming from which could be good or bad
Old 03-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
Open I love fresh air and I love hearing the birds sing and smelling the fresh outdoors. We sit back off the road here at our new house too and are completely private, I could scream and no one would know where it was coming from which could be good or bad
Can I move in with you? Please. I would have loved your last house too.. oh to dream of a space like that!!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am selective on which windows I will open. I'm one of those paranoid people who thinks someone is going to break in through my screens. I also hate sounds unless it's the birds outside. Cars, people, lawnmowers, etc.. I hate them all!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

[QUOTE=KristinCB;1062808504]Can I move in with you? Please. I would have loved your last house too.. oh to dream of a space like that!! [/QUOTE
LOL start packing Skye heads to college soon and she has her own wing
Old 03-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just have to say that when I saw this thread title, I thought microsoft Windows. And I was all confused because you're a Mac girl.

Carry on.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, Libby, me too! I've been avoiding this post for an hour or so because I thought you were talking about WINDOWS. Like... computer blah blah Windows 10 etc. Haha

Old 03-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I'd have the windows open all year round if I could. It's one of my favourite things about Spring and Summer. We have really good air quality, we're off the road and you can't reach any of the windows without a ladder, so I love opening our massive windows in the main lounge room, lying on the couch and watching the clouds travel across the bright blue sky, listening to nature. It's even better when the kookaburras are out. I can hear cars when they go past, however it doesn't get very busy.

It's too bad I usually only get the chance to laze about like that when I'm sick.

We don't have neighbors out the back of our property, but we have them on either side and they are also off the road, almost lined up with our house. I rarely hear them, so I'm hoping they can rarely hear us too. I'd be pretty embarrassed if they could lol, but it wouldn't stop me from closing the windows, I love having them open too much!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh, but when it comes to Windows, mine are OPEN OPEN OPEN all around the house whenever it's cool enough because I crave sunlight and fresh air. Even when it's not nice out, I always have the blinds open to let the sun in. It's the first thing I do in the morning. And I enjoy the sounds of life around me, a dead silent house makes me feel sad for some reason. My kids play outside in the yard and on the sidewalk all the time, so I like to be able to hear them too.

I don't live in an isolated area... we are in a city and have neighbors nearby. Our lot is a little less than a quarter acre, and we are near 2 schools and a park. We get the occasional car driving by on our street but it's not a major road, just a neighborhood. I can hear the very distant sound of traffic, dogs from a block or so away barking, occasionally a siren from the nearby fire station, and 4 times a day if it's really quiet I can make out the sound of the distant train (I especially love hearing the train if I'm awake in my bed at night). Since we have tons of big mature trees there are 'natural' sounds like squirrels rustling on the oak tree out front, and lots of birds chirping, too! And the sound of the wind through the trees. I love that.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Open whenever possible, even at night when we're asleep. We live in "town" but in a quiet development so the sounds are "normal" sounds to me - mowing, kids playing, occasional cars going by, birds, etc. I close up on humid days and use the A/C (which is more often than I'd like) but on days when it's not so humid if I open all the windows we get a nice breeze that keeps it comfortable.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Right now because we've moved, I'm airing the house out to get the previous owners stink from the house as well as hoping to keep the sickies out of the house!

However, two of my kids have allergies and I try not to have my windows open very much because then I'm dealing with allergyelated issues. It's much easier to turn a fan on than dealing with sick kids.

I also agree, sometimes I don't want to open the windows so the neighbors don't hear us in the house
Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
I just have to say that when I saw this thread title, I thought microsoft Windows. And I was all confused because you're a Mac girl.

Carry on.
same here.. and i wrote the title. hahahaha.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Haha Libby and Brook I thought the exact same thing. And I actually thought Kristin was asking if you keep your computer on when it's nice out haha

When the weather is nice I open the backdoor! I usually keep the front door closed during the day when I'm alone. Sometimes I have to close the door though when my elderly neighbors are outside and the woman is yelling again lol

Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Almost always shut! Before we turn the ac on in the summer, we might have windows open before we go to bed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I only open the front and/or back door and have the screen doors open if Nick & the neighbor kids are playing in our yard. Otherwise, I like them closed. I don't like dirt or anything blowing in. I know it seems weird, but I have central a/c, too.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, in the house we are in right now there are no windows that open Normally, I do like to open them every now and then to let fresh air in but I am not a fan of leaving them open. I can't sleep with a window open... doesn't matter what time of year I wake up with a sore throat and feel terrible when there's an open window all night. Honestly I'd love to trade with any of you... "city sounds" don't bother me (I live in a very small area with little traffic even though we are right on main street so any more than 20 cars driving by in a day seems like city life to me lol)... I can't stand the sound of birds, crickets, and peepers... don't get me started on how much I don't like listening to those. Yea, I'm stange I know.... I never claimed to be normal LOL
Old 03-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
don't get me started on how much I don't like listening to those. Yea, I'm stange I know.... I never claimed to be normal LOL
I had to google what a peeper is haha.. I don't think i'd like that sound either. I don't like crickets and those noises.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OPEN! Till it hits about 80 degrees. All the little tree frogs just came out... so I won't shut them tonight till I'm freezing. It's the best sound ever
Old 03-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Closed. Almost always. We are the allergy family. My husband tries to open the windows every spring and then my poor youngest son, even with twice the adult dose of allergy meds is just miserable, eyes and nose watering so much it drips down his face. We have this discussion every year and every year he tries to open the windows again. Sigh.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like the idea of open windows but not the actual execution.

Hearing everyone else, everyone hearing me... yuck. I want complete privacy in my house.

I never ever ever have them open at night/when we're sleeping. Obviously the one time I do that a burglar will come in and steal all our things and murder us to boot. Having the windows closed will make him think, 'Aw, shucks. Can't get them. Windows are closed. Have to murder someone else tonight.'
Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We live in an apartment, so everyday, I have the windows open for a small period of time to change the air, even in winter. Of course, there's exception when the pollution is really bad, then I won't open them.
In summer, the windows stay open longer though, except when it gets too hot, then it's air conditioner time.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:26 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I almost NEVER open the windows. We have a lot of pretty big windows in our house, and I LOVE the natural light that we get (the blinds are always open during the day), but I don't enjoy the noise from outside. We live pretty close to the freeway and some train tracks, so it can get pretty noisy. The only time I open the windows is if we get smoke in the house or if we need to air out some kind of smell.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I hardly open my blinds - I have eye floaters and I find I notice them inside if my blinds are open but if I keep them shut I don't see them.... anyone else? LOL! (I sure complain a lot!!)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I love the sunshine and fresh air - but we have allergies so I am very careful about when I can open them. I also get a lot of dust depending on the last time its rained. I don't like my neighbors hearing me - but I figure they can sometimes hear with the windows closed anyways - I am latina so we are never quiet!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm home alone during the day and I'm in the basement, so windows closed because like someone else said I'm always scared someone's gonna break in on me....rofl. We live in like the quietest neighborhood in the world and I still am a big scaredy cat.

If I'm upstairs reading or something I'll open them briefly and I always open them for a day or two at the beginning of spring to air the house out and get the "winter" stale out. LOL

Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE having my windows open. It's a small window of time in spring and fall that we are able to have them open and I do as much as possible. I close them at night, and when we're gone, of course. But when I'm home, they're open! I think the average age of the people in my neighborhood is like 80 years old, so there isn't much noise, just birds and soft breezes blowing the trees.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Cindi - I could have written your post. My husband doesn't suffer with allergies, so I think just forgets. My youngest boy had the worst of the allergies and is yes on twice the adult dosage of meds plus shots and asthma meds. I love windows open in theory because I love the fresh air but hate what it does to him and my daughter and then usually me too. So typically we are windows closed

Cheryl
Old 03-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live on a busy street and very noisy, but since is a 10th floor, the fresh air is really nice.
I usually keep my bedrrom and kiddo´t bedroom close due A/C (is very hot here, but we open them once a week for fresh air.
My living room has a balcony and I keep the windows and the sliding doors open all the time (unless is raining bad). Same goes for kitchen and laundry room.
I just got used to the noise... I even meditate on mornings... LOL

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clucaswvu04 View Post
My youngest boy had the worst of the allergies and is yes on twice the adult dosage of meds plus shots and asthma meds. I love windows open in theory because I love the fresh air but hate what it does to him and my daughter and then usually me too. So typically we are windows closed
So funny... we keep the windows open BECAUSE of the allergies.
Panama is VERY humid and we need the sun to get in to suck up a little bit of that humidity that not even the A/C can get rid of fully.
So we need to open the windows at least once a week

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Open here...but that doesn't last too long. Summer comes early for us and I can't handle anything over 85/90 degrees so the AC comes on after that. Those temps can start as early as April.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This thread made me realize I'm not even sure if I've EVER opened the windows in my house. I have an indoor cat who's super curious, and I just know he'd make a break for it if given the slightest opportunity!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I hardly open my blinds - I have eye floaters and I find I notice them inside if my blinds are open but if I keep them shut I don't see them.... anyone else? LOL! (I sure complain a lot!!)
I get the floaters thing - I have tons of floaters but I've gotten so used to them over the years that it doesn't bother me anymore (and working in front of a computer screen 8+ hours a day makes them really noticeable!) I don't see as well without bright light so our blinds are open all the time, although I do rotate which side of the house in the summer, keeping the afternoon sun side closed so it doesn't get too hot.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We live in the country so as soon as the weather is nice the windows are open! However; at night they are shut, locked tight as my hubby works nights so I am at home alone!

I love listening to the birds chirping in our yard - but mostly, I love to hear it thunderstorm when the windows are open (as long as the rain isn't coming in!)

I also have floaters, but guess I have never tried to darken the room - I will have to try it!!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love when I'm able to have the windows open! It's usually just the windows in the back off the house though. I'm in Arizona and it gets hot way too quick and too long, so anytime I have a cool day I make sure to open them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 03-09-2016, 06:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love having the windows open! I love fresh air and natural light. We live in an apartment and don't have enough windows. I've learned to tune out the traffic noise, but I long to live out in the country where I only hear birds and crickets!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I keep ours open because our house gets SO HOT and it costs a fortune to air condition, so I try to get as much natural cooling as I can and then close them when we really need the AC
Old 03-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been opening my windows lately only the ones with screens. When I get screens for the other windows I will open them too. When the grass pollen hits though I can't because, I will literally die from sneezing, watery eyes, etc. Really if anyone ever comes up they can hear me anyway. So even if the kids are screaming like I'm killing them, I share the joy bahaha
Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

As soon as the weather is perfect for open windows (spring and fall), DH's allergies kick in. So even though I was a windows open girl before we got married, I guess the last 17 years of living with him has reformed me. His allergies have gotten better over the years, but not good enough for me to open windows without feeling guilty. Maybe one day we'll make it there!
Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love having the windows open! Feeling the breeze flow through the house and hearing the soft tap of the blinds against window. Love it! Weird, right? But we got some new neighbors last summer and they have two great big labs. They leave them out all day long and any time something or someone walks in front of their house they FREAK OUT!! Oh my gosh I swear all they do is bark! I can't even work on my video tutorials during the day because my computer room is on that side of the house and the videos catch their barking! It makes me crazy! I have to wait until late when the dogs get taken inside for the night. Seriously makes me bonkers. I want to say something, but what do you say??

I love having the windows open in my car! Nothing better than cruising down the interstate with windows down, music blaring! Too bad my kids hate the windows down, so my joyrides don't happen too often anymore. Maybe when they are all in school, I will just take drives so I can cruise with my windows open and my music, hahahaha.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellahBean View Post
I love having the windows open in my car! Nothing better than cruising down the interstate with windows down, music blaring! Too bad my kids hate the windows down, so my joyrides don't happen too often anymore. Maybe when they are all in school, I will just take drives so I can cruise with my windows open and my music, hahahaha.
I love having windows down in the car, too. My hair is always windblown! LOL

Old 03-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Open. But I live in a small city and in New Zealand so there's no such thing as pollution and not too much noise
Old 03-12-2016, 10:45 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Closed. I live in an appartment and otherwise my cats try and jump out the window. When the weather is good I do have the doors to the balcony open, the cats can't get of the balcony so that's safe.