Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Brainstorming Christmas gifts for 6 year old boys :)

I have no ideas this year for DS. What are your 6 y/o boys asking for this year? Avery hasn't asked for anything special so I'm stumped.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Mine is only 5, but he hasn't asked for anything big. He just wants lots of small things, so that's what he will probably get. The list of things he says he really wants is Melissa & Doug Pizza Party, make your own volcano set, Monster Jam-olopy game, Monster trucks, Smurfette plush, Rio plushes and art supplies. He also put on his list: Imaginext Mega T-Rex, robot, play doh, legos and those build your own things sets.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

My 6 yr old boy wants Legos and an ipod Nano. I found him a used ipod Nano on ebay, partly because I think expensive gadgets for kids are too much $ and I always buy them used off ebay and it works out great, and because the newest Nano does not play movies, which is LAME. He also wants some more of the CARS 2 cars to play with, he loves them.

I was a little worried letting him get a Nano at such a young age, but his big brothers have them and when we travel, I find myself letting him use my ipod Classic (that's ancient and I love it!) and them I'm suddenly ipod-less, lol. So, I caved, but mostly because we have several trips planned next year and some longer plane rides and it helps to have the games, books on CD and movies on there. (We get the books on CD from the library and throw them into our itunes library, it's awesome).

I got the Nano for $90 on ebay, and it was really good quality - it almost looked new. He also picked out some over-the-head skull candy headphones (less expensive set) since ear buds are hard for him to manage at this age.

The only other thing I will prolly tell his grandparents to get him would be sports jerseys. My boys LOVE sports jerseys for NFL, NBA, and colleges. They know I won't buy them for them during the year, since they are so pricey, but they ask for them at Christmastime.

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Mine (will be 7 this month) has asked for Kre-o's, a new bike and play shoes!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have any of the Imaginext or DC Super Heroes toys?? My boys are 4 and 5 and LOVE them. I can see them playing with them for the next few years...just in time for the little one to start playing with them!! My boys have A LOT of the stuff....but there are a few pieces they don't have yet that we plan on picking up.

We were thinking about getting them some sort of hand held game but not sure now that they have our old iPhones to play games on.

Hexbugs
More Lego sets...they play with those endlessly
48+ piece puzzles....they LOVE puzzles
more play-doh accessories
Super Hero stuff
art supplies
Transformers

We would love to get them a computer to share but it all depends what else we get. They may end getting that in the spring.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My son's wish list (he's 6).

About 8 different lego sets
Razor style scooter
Hex bug habitat
NintendoDS and games
Star Wars Action Figures
Transformers
National Geographic Kids Subscription
Chemistry set
Electronic Lightsaber
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Nathan's 11 now, but the year he was 6 we bought him a bunch of spy stuff! We bought him the spy kids movies and all kinds of spy gear...he loved it!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine wants a pogo stick.

Legos
Wii game
DS game
Nerf stuff

Kinda considering either getting an ipad for the family or each boy an itouch. Not sure yet. We might wait one more year.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

L.J. wants...

DS games
Lego sets
Kre-O sets (the ones he doesn't already have)
Movies
Diary of a Wimpy Kid "action figures"

I'l getting him this Paper Jamz Mic since he is constantly performing for us.

And we're getting him a new bike since he finally learned how to ride without training wheels this year and I have already gotten him some Angry Birds toys.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Landon hasn't given me any ideas really. He is easy though.....anything art related, Hex bugs (we have some but he wants more), the angry bird set, a fort building kit (I tagged one on Pinterest), and he also loves all those crazy science kits.

I do like the idea for National Geographic kids subscription. He would love that. He gets Highlights in the mail and thinks it is awesome he has mail. He treasures them and never lets me throw them out.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim21673 View Post
Do you have any of the Imaginext or DC Super Heroes toys??
My son has the older Batcave and plays with it a lot. This year he even tried to add the new style batcave to his list. lol He also loves their battle dinosaurs. He calls them Spy Dinosaurs so I guess spy stuff is popular for this age.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my seven year old has asked for:
squinkies for boys
harry potter lego sets
laser tag
a sock monkey hat
angry birds wooden game
a bird feeder that attaches to the window
q2 - it's this 20 questions game
the claw (it's a candy grabber like the ones you see at walmart that are for plush?)
geosafari mystery rock
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My cousin is 7 but since he's been 5 years old he's asked for Lego's for his birthday and Christmas.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks!! Great ideas...

All he's really asked for this year is Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii and the Angry Birds wooden game.

He does love Legos..but we've only ever bought a couple of small sets so this year may be the year of Legos. I went to toys r us today and got the Angry Bird game on sale for 11 bucks (I think it's like 19 at amazon). And I got one of those Lego base thingys. He's got a little wooden table that he never uses in his room and I"m thinking I'm going to glue that base to that table and make him a Lego Table - rather than paying 150 for one already made.

He got a DS last year so I'll probably get him a new game for that..I just don't want all his gifts to be video game related kwim?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
And I got one of those Lego base thingys. He's got a little wooden table that he never uses in his room and I"m thinking I'm going to glue that base to that table and make him a Lego Table - rather than paying 150 for one already made.
I did this with Landon's old train set table that he no longer used. I got 4 of those lego mats and put them on the table. IT ROCKS! Avery will love it!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am always trying to come up with gifts that are not "things." Last year, we did a trip to Sea World a few days after Christmas, so I wrapped the tickets as a gift. This year, my oldest son (8) is getting tickets to a hockey game, and his brother (5) is getting tickets to a Monster Truck show. We're big into legos here, too (including the different lego sticker books). They also LOVE beyblades! We have tons of imaginext toys (castle, batcave, ships, etc) and those do get played with a lot.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When Jason was 6 it was ALL about the Legos, especially the Star Wars and Lego City Police sets. We offered to get him a DS for his 7th birthday, but he said no because that and games would have been his only present from us and he wasn't willing to have a Lego-free birthday. (By the time he turned 8 all he wanted was the DS, so he got that this year.)
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine just turned 5 too. He's asking for legos (one of those big airport sets), chuggington interactive railway, imaginext submarine. I've also got a set of building gears for him too.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh my 6 yo wants very simple things (thanks GOD)
- Legos and more legos (Ninja Go and Lego kinetics)
- Anything Phineas & Fern related
- Max Steel
- and ANOTHER Hot Wheels track
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are 5 and 7.5 and they want MORE Legos (we have a ton but DH and I were both Lego geeks).
The older one has really gotten into science (and science books) this year so he'll definitely be getting some kits/books.
Both love Phinneas and Ferb and will get books/puzzles/etc.
Angry birds game and stuff
roller skates
new razor scooter (old one is worn out from use)
New pajamas (they ask for these still)
New playdough (yep they still do play with it)

Oh and side note: On Kreos...do you think they are good, we've had two sets and they've fallen apart a lot easier than Lego which makes me loathe taking them out. Maybe we just got duds but makes me feel the extra money for the actual Legos are sometimes worth it (especially when I find them on sale!).
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
Oh and side note: On Kreos...do you think they are good, we've had two sets and they've fallen apart a lot easier than Lego which makes me loathe taking them out. Maybe we just got duds but makes me feel the extra money for the actual Legos are sometimes worth it (especially when I find them on sale!).
I do think they are not made as well...we have some pieces that won't stay attached too. My main complaint with them is that they don't "transform"...you have to completely rebuild them to get it to either the robot or the vehicle. They really take up too much of my time LOL!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyfish View Post
I do think they are not made as well...we have some pieces that won't stay attached too. My main complaint with them is that they don't "transform"...you have to completely rebuild them to get it to either the robot or the vehicle. They really take up too much of my time LOL!
Yeah that was my other complaint. They are transformers and they barely move. Oh well...

Another thing we got for DS's birthday in September was the Cars racetrack with the little battery chargers from Target. It works really well and the boys enjoy that one still a few months later. http://www.target.com/p/Disney-Pixar...t/-/A-13424262
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Gee I wish I had invented Legos lol...all I know from just browsing so far is that they are EXPENSIVE..he's got a few small sets, but the larger ones wow! It kind of makes me wince knowing that I'll pay that much and as soon as they come out of the box he'll start losing pieces lol

Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All of my childhood I had to do with smaller sets, not mentioning that I was a VERY happy child to have Lego at all, because in Communist Czechoslovakia they were not sold (I have family in Switzerland, that's why I had something).

When Lego became available in late 80s, you had to stand several hours in a queue and take what they had (forget about choice). For financial reasons never had bigger sets and yet I was rather happy with what I had. It was obviously a different situation, I know.

Still I don't think you need to buy anything super-expensive to make kiddo happy. Hopefully this doesn't sound wrong - all I want to say is that you don't have to bleed financially for your kid being happy with his toys, I think children can be happy with less, it's just us that put pressure on ourselves, kind of. I think he might be happy with some smaller ones if you can't get him the huge ones.

P.S. I know I'm bad, but from what I've seen, Kre-o seems like a US rip-off of Lego. :-)

Last edited by adrianka; 11-11-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

all ce's asked for for years is legos. legos legos legos legossssssssssss.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

nikki get the blue bins of legos-- they're nothing special, there's no set, but its got all the basic doobies. ce's gotten SEVERAL of those blue bins, and is happy (plus the occassinal gigantic star wars set from people who dont mind spending 326363 silly dollars on these things)
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I know I'm becoming obnoxious, but I'm so with La. Those generic collections are cool if kiddo tends to lose stuff. :-)

BTW Ce has a good taste in his demands. :-)

Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both my 6 yo and 4 yo boys are crazy about Legos and Star Wars, so that's what they're getting - a Lego Star Wars book and they'll each get a set.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is how my boys play with the lego sets:

-build it with the instructions once and play with it until it starts coming apart
-turn whatever the set was into a battleship/rocketship/vehicle
-use all the various minifigs (spongebob, darth vader, ninjas, construction workers) to make an army
-have wars

Really we get the sets for the cool pieces and minifigs. LOL! Most of the time those come from grandparents. We have bought 2 blue bins and the box of basic pieces. Every year they get one big set and then a couple small sets. You can't go wrong with the Lego City sets!

Another fun gift is Lego Creationary. It is a fun game! Kinda like pictionary but with legos. We really enjoy playing it.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Hey Misty -

Where were you going to get a chemistry set? My son would love one.

Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
My son's wish list (he's 6).

About 8 different lego sets
Razor style scooter
Hex bug habitat
NintendoDS and games
Star Wars Action Figures
Transformers
National Geographic Kids Subscription
Chemistry set
Electronic Lightsaber
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

LOL, well I haven't gotten him one yet. It's on his wish list and I haven't really decided yet which things he is actually going to get. However, we have a wonderful independent toy store in town that I can always count on for good recommendations on stuff like that, so if we end up deciding to get him one, I'll probably ask them to recommend something in our price range.