Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2023, 01:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Baby Shower Ideas

Eeeekkkk! I am going to be a grandma! I am so excited I could burst.

My DIL asked if I would throw her a shower for family and friends and of course I said yes. But it has been ages since I have been to a baby shower and I have no idea what happens at them these days. Surely they have progressed passed the lame games we played back in the day, right?

My DIL wants a Halloween themed baby shower as it will be taking place on October 28th. That theme should be a lot of fun and I do have ideas, but not sure about the "entertainment" aspect of the whole thing, so I thought I would come here and ask. What do people like to do at baby showers?

Also, my DIL does not care for bright colors and "cutsie" things, she loves black and neutrals, and I do cute and colorful, so any ideas that will take the party up to a level of "sophistication" that she might appreciate would be great.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Such a fun theme! I can see plays on words like "Peek A Boo" with ghosts or even "a baby is brewing" with witchy stuffs... so fun! You could easily do blacks & grays and tans with the theme and have it cute and pretty! I'm a sure there's plenty of stuff on the old google for inspiration!

A couple things I loved that they did at a more recent baby shower I attended was 1- Asked for board books instead of cards to build baby's library and 2- Diaper raffle (everyone who brought a pack of diapers got a raffle ticket for a prize- I think it was a gift card.)
Old 08-31-2023, 03:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations!!!

My niece's aunts gave her a baby shower back in May. Yep, we went with the lame games (I wasn't in charge of them, and we had that clothespin game, which I've never liked) and also had party favors, which I've been told and have read are on their way out. Her theme was "Ahoy, It's a Boy!" The other game we played was about 10 groups of emojis that made up a phrase related to baby. That was okay. I think most everyone enjoyed the games. By the time we finished eating, having cake and cookies, and playing the games, we were almost out of time (2-hour shower), and my niece rushed opening the gifts. I know everyone enjoyed visiting. So, maybe you don't need games. But I hadn't been to a baby shower in I think 15, 20 years before my niece's shower.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't been to a baby shower in years. I do like the idea though of having a little mini album/flipbook where each guest can write their one best piece of advice to the new mum. Alternatively, have them email you their advice when they RSVP and you can have it ready printed for the day.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats!!!!!!! I've seen the board book request as well and think it's a great idea! I recently went to a Sip & See (the baby was born out of state and was here for a visit and post-birth shower) and they did a diaper raffle. Everyone that brought a box of diapers (they requested size 2 and up) got a raffle ticket. I won a bottle of wine but you could do any kind of prize. We mostly just ate and visited and ooh'd and ahh'd at the baby.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had a baby shower of my SIL we did a high tea with lots of sweets and bites. As gift we collected money to buy her a toy mat with mobile hanging above. And we gave her a diaper tower with on each diaper a cute bay related quote written on the borders. It didn't had any specific theme only pink and blue decoration.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so excited for you Lorie! As for showers, I am also not a fan of games. My opinion is let everyone get there, get some snacks, have the mom to be start opening gifts. When she is done, people can stay and socialize or leave. I went to a shower a while back and after 2 hours they still hadn't even started opening the gifts. I didn't know many people there and it was just miserable-and boring. As for the Halloween theme, yes, you could do black, tan, greys and maybe even some golds. Sounds fun. I love Halloween!

Old 08-31-2023, 09:17 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations, Lorie!
I am so excited for you! Here is praying for smooth pregnancy all the way

As for baby shower, I have no clue. I have never been to a baby shower nor had one myself, so I am no help here.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
A couple things I loved that they did at a more recent baby shower I attended was 1- Asked for board books instead of cards to build baby's library and 2- Diaper raffle (everyone who brought a pack of diapers got a raffle ticket for a prize- I think it was a gift card.)
We are definitely doing both as my DIL specifically asked for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
Congratulations!!!

My niece's aunts gave her a baby shower back in May. Yep, we went with the lame games (I wasn't in charge of them, and we had that clothespin game, which I've never liked) and also had party favors, which I've been told and have read are on their way out. Her theme was "Ahoy, It's a Boy!" The other game we played was about 10 groups of emojis that made up a phrase related to baby. That was okay. I think most everyone enjoyed the games. By the time we finished eating, having cake and cookies, and playing the games, we were almost out of time (2-hour shower), and my niece rushed opening the gifts. I know everyone enjoyed visiting. So, maybe you don't need games. But I hadn't been to a baby shower in I think 15, 20 years before my niece's shower.
Thank you.

I have seen the emoji game, so maybe that will be one to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I haven't been to a baby shower in years. I do like the idea though of having a little mini album/flipbook where each guest can write their one best piece of advice to the new mum. Alternatively, have them email you their advice when they RSVP and you can have it ready printed for the day.
I do like that idea and think having them write their own will make it more personal, but perhaps I can come up with some cute and right sized papers for them to use to write on and then slip into the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
Congrats!!!!!!! I've seen the board book request as well and think it's a great idea! I recently went to a Sip & See (the baby was born out of state and was here for a visit and post-birth shower) and they did a diaper raffle. Everyone that brought a box of diapers (they requested size 2 and up) got a raffle ticket. I won a bottle of wine but you could do any kind of prize. We mostly just ate and visited and ooh'd and ahh'd at the baby.
That sounds like fun, because who doesn't love oohhing and ahhing over a baby.

Prizes are another thing that I need to tackle. I thought for the diaper raffle maybe do up a witches cauldron of potions and/or brews - Potions being skin care related and brews being relaxing teas. An entire pamper me thing.

For other prizes I was thinking of, since it is Halloween, maybe doing candy bouquets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyp View Post
I had a baby shower of my SIL we did a high tea with lots of sweets and bites. As gift we collected money to buy her a toy mat with mobile hanging above. And we gave her a diaper tower with on each diaper a cute bay related quote written on the borders. It didn't had any specific theme only pink and blue decoration.
We are definitely doing a high tea, but calling it "a witches brew" instead. I like the idea of doing small bites and or treats. I am going to do a punch with dry ice in a cauldron to replicate the witches brew itself. And of course themed food because you all know I love a good theme. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
I'm so excited for you Lorie! As for showers, I am also not a fan of games. My opinion is let everyone get there, get some snacks, have the mom to be start opening gifts. When she is done, people can stay and socialize or leave. I went to a shower a while back and after 2 hours they still hadn't even started opening the gifts. I didn't know many people there and it was just miserable-and boring. As for the Halloween theme, yes, you could do black, tan, greys and maybe even some golds. Sounds fun. I love Halloween!
I read that more people are going away from games and going to DIY stuff, so I was thinking of maybe having a table where they can decorate their own witches hat to wear during the tea and at the photo "booth," cause we are doing that too.

I want them to be busy and having fun so that Vee can visit with them as individuals or in small groups throughout the event.

As to the colors, I think I am going to do black and white, with a touch of gold and blue, because we are having a boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Congratulations, Lorie!
I am so excited for you! Here is praying for smooth pregnancy all the way

As for baby shower, I have no clue. I have never been to a baby shower nor had one myself, so I am no help here.
Thanks, Sherly. After a worrisome start, things seem to be going well.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
Such a fun theme! I can see plays on words like "Peek A Boo" with ghosts or even "a baby is brewing" with witchy stuffs... so fun! You could easily do blacks & grays and tans with the theme and have it cute and pretty! I'm a sure there's plenty of stuff on the old google for inspiration!

Peek a boo could turn into the game where you melt chocolate bars into diapers and hand them around for a sniff for guests to guess what bar it was. Lame but still brings giggles.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh and Lori, big congratulations re impending grandma status! That is so exciting.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:56 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

So exciting!! Congratulations!!

I have no ideas to help you....cause I'm working on bridal shower planning for my daughter!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-03-2023, 08:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We did a word scramble, advice to the new parents, fill in the blank like scattegories style, and those type of things. I don't like any of the cliche games, so opted out of those!

Congrats on being a grandma! There's so many fun things out there for babies these days
Old 09-04-2023, 11:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It sounds you like have all kinds of fun plans going!!!
Old 09-05-2023, 10:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So fun! Congrats! Pinterest is full of Halloween themed ideas for a baby shower. It has been YEARS since I had one but I went to one a couple of years ago that asked for board books instead of cards and I love, love helping build a reading library. A take away gift they did was book marks with quotes from popular children's books. You can even decorate with Halloween themed board books for her to have for the baby. (I am all about the books...can you tell?) My boys are 13 and 19 and I still put out board books/kid books for each season
Old 09-05-2023, 03:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I hate being the center of attention, so when I had mine many years ago, I asked for no games. Instead, I chose to have a party with food, everyone talking, a person who would give a mini manicure, and a person who did Reiki readings. So there was some fun treat-like stuff but no silly games.