Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-17-2020, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default No school the rest of the year

Kansas Governor announced today that we will be closed through the rest of the school year. This is like some kind of bad dream! My 8th grader doesn't care. He doesn't love middle school and is content to call it a day. My senior is freaking the heck out. First her trip to Italy was ruined and now no prom, graduation, etc. She melted down in a big way. I work for a school, so it is unsettling to me as well.

Any rest of the year closings in your area?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I teach at an international school here in the Philippines, and our school will make a decision this week. However, our students all have internet access at home, so I expect that we will finish the year remotely.

I seriously cannot imagine what the economic consequences to all of this will be. How can business afford to pay their employees who aren't working when the businesses have no money coming in?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They announced here that we are closed until at least April 28th.... I work for a trucking company, and we are not shutting down. My hubby works in a lumber mill and they are also not shutting down. The kids' dad, although just bought a house 2 blocks from me, isn't ANY help at all with them, and hasn't ever taken a day off to help care for them in 13 years, so I don't foresee that happening either. It's a nightmare!

I'm not worried about us getting sick, but how in the heck am I supposed to keep kids occupied for 6 weeks, help them learn AND work full time.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Any rest of the year closings in your area?
When I went to pick up my daughter's assignments, they were making all the students clean out their lockers (gym and everyday) as well as pick up all medicine and anything personal at the school. At the time I didn't think anything of it. Then I headed over to my son's school, where I received four weeks of assignments to work with my son. The teacher was really upset and said she probably won't get to see her students for the rest of the year, which must be terrible seeing as she just came to the school in January! I came home, sat down and said to my mom (on the phone), I don't think these kids are going back for the rest of the year.

I feel really torn about this because we just discussed the possibility of my son having a learning disability like his sister. He was supposed to start being tested in April. That's not happening. He had 5 teachers last year for Kindergarten and two teachers for First grade. He's almost a year behind school and now if they don't go back to school, he's really going to be behind in Second grade. Not a good way to start off a student in their schooling career.

Meanwhile, my middle has a lot of learning disabilities and a lot of her education is visual. Right now, they are moving to virtual. We checked out a loaner laptop that she has to be on reading text chat from 7:25 - 2:30. She has a processing disorder and I don't think she's doing to do well and her A grades are going to drop. She's scared she's going to require Summer School to make up this last quarter of schooling because she can't process reading.

But I'm glad they are trying to stop the spread. That in while doing so is keeping the kids safe from this virus. In the midst of all of this chaos, that's something as a parent I'm thankful for at this very moment.

Back to your daughter...I'm SO sorry she doesn't get a graduation, prom and all those Senior Year moments. Maybe your school district will do something in the summer for those children's senior year? But first we have to ride this virus out before planning that far ahead. Hugs to your child and you as a teacher. Will you do the online/virtual training with your class? Although I think you are preschool if I remember correctly?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sorry Sherri! That sucks for your senior. I can totally understand how upsetting that would be to miss those milestones and experiences I also have an 8th grader, but my oldest is only a sophomore this year. So far our school is closed for 6 weeks through 4/24, but I foresee that could easily be extended (especially considering we are solidly in the epicenter of the outbreak in the US). Our school normally goes through the third week of June (fairly late relative to some other parts of the country).

Scary times for sure. It makes me head/heart hurt to think about the amount of hardship this pandemic has caused. Sickness, lost lives, economic impacts, social distancing, etc. It's crazy to think we were all blissfully unaware that this was coming at the end of 2019.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:26 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Alberta is closed till September with possibly online learning put in place.
I have a grade 11 and grade 12. They are important years to be missing work.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Wow... I'm so sorry for your daughter and so many others, Sheri. As of right now, my school is out until the end of March... but I foresee that we will be out until at least the end of April, if not longer. I am very thankful that my kids are older so I don't have to worry about homeschooling on top of everything else. It is a scary world right now. What you said is so true, Sheri... little did we know. It doesn't seem real that it's only been a couple of weeks since we (at least here in Maine) realized how much this virus was going to affect all of our lives. It's truly frightening to think about the future right now.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:48 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

OMG that totally suck for her I feel so sorry for and all the kids that are going to miss out on those milestones and memories. Luckily Abby (8th grader) is pretty in the know (as of right now on what she needs to do until school resumes....suppose to be end of March but sure it will change) and I am going to school tomorrow to pick up Peyton's (7th grader) printed work packet along with his school laptop (its part of his IEP accommodations). I am really worried about Peyton because even though he is very high functioning on the spectrum, this disruption is going to wreck havoc on his whole well being....the only thing we have going for us is the fact I quit my job at the VA back in Jan to stay home full time....I am retired and a disabled vet plus Matt works full time so thankfully, financially we will be OK.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:07 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry to hear all this, it is absolutely heartbreaking.

I don't have kids in school anymore but we are waiting on hearing what out daughters' uni will do... she just started her Masters two weeks ago.

Our son is holed up at friends who are family in Israel. He went to spend his gap year learning at a religious institution and now can barely even leave the house.
We are sitting in Australia as things keep getting tighter and tighter and I am a mess having one of my kids so far away. So grateful for FaceTime and WhatsApp.

Our synagogue has canceled all service from now until... who know when and we have Passover in three weeks. As far as I'm concerned, it can just pass right over me this year as we were supposed to be in Israel with our son and friends, celebrating.

Our daughter knows of a couple whose wedding, supposed to be tomorrow night, has been reduced to the ceremony outside so they can have more than 100 people (no more than 100 inside as from today) and their reception is postponed until...??

And never mind what the crazies have done in the supermarkets...

Feels like we are living in a post apocalyptic movie... can some one kindly turn the lights on so we can leave and get back to our normal lives.

Good luck to those homeschooling and all the challenges that are here and still to come.
We have to hit rock bottom soon, surely, so that we can start the climb back up to the top.

stay safe, healthy and sane everyone.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That sucks, I’m sorry

Our schools aren’t shutting yet. Apparently our prime minister doesn’t think we should be following the same social distancing as the rest of the world.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ohh that really sucks.
All schools are closed here until the end of March, but for now. I'm sure it will last longer.
We don't have so much sick for now but the number increases and the government tries to prevent it all ass possible and we are in emergency state. I have a 6 grader and the kids started to study online and even it's still a little messy they are busy with lessons and homework.
The university where I work is closed for students, too and I'm home most of the time for now.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not yet. They are scheduled to go back April 6 with spring break beginning April 10. I have a feeling they will at least cancel those four days and see what's going on after break. The high school had issued Chrome books for all students this year, so we can at least forge ahead on line. Not the same, but it's something.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

As of right now...

College kid one... a senior at Kutztown.... she can do her one class remotely. But all student teaching is suspended since all public schools are closed. She has an apartment that we still have to pay. She is in complete freak out over how she is supposed to graduate when the requirements cannot be met.

College kid 2.... a sophomore at Pitt.... rest of classes for this semester are remote... they asked dorm kids to move out if they can. She has an apartment in Pittsburgh so we are stuck still paying. We will probably head there this weekend and gather all school materials and clothes so she can do classes here at home. She was supposed to go on a Medical Brigades trip to Hondorus in May, that has been cancelled. Money raised will go towards next years trip, hopefully we can get airline money back.

My two high schoolers.. online learning is up from some teachers, not all. My senior is heartbroken about her senior year.... no senior trip...no activities... no hanging out with friends... My sophomore is just going with the flow.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-18-2020, 07:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our kids are scheduled to return April 14th but Newsom said in his most recent update that he doesn't anticipate kids returning to school this year. He hopes that isn't the case but it's the most likely outcome.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry your daughter has to go through so much heartache - in such a special time in her life!!

Schools are closed here in Illinois until the first part of April, but I have a feeling the kiddos will not be going back to school this year either. 2 or our 3 kiddos are in school (Pre K and 1st grade) - but I'm not sure they understand anything that's going on other than they feel like their spring vacation might meld into summer vacation.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We are presently on March Break but they announced all publicly funded schools are closed until April 6. My son attends college and they are closed until April 17th, his courses will be delivered online beginning March 23 (they are on break this week as well). Two days ago they announced all private schools are to close, same with day cares.

Restaurants and bars are all closed unless they offer take-out, but must do so with limited hours. Tim Hortons have closed their dining room and it is drive through only. Arenas, libraries, museums etc., have all been closed.

My son works at a car wash and keeps being sent home after 3 hours (minimum they have to keep you) or 4 hours as they aren't busy. He's stressing as he just bought a car last month and now has a car payment and insurance to pay for. I think he's ok for a few months and I can help him for a few months if needed.

It's surreal, how abandoned everything feels.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We haven't heard anything official (yet) but the trend that DeWine is following says that we'll be out for 8 weeks, per the CDC recommendations. If that happens, we won't go back to school.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So many affected! The children who struggle are the ones I worry about a lot. We have so many kids in our building that were just starting to catch up. I was working intensely with several and seeing light bulb moments. It makes me sad what might happen now. Many of these kids have families that mean well, but don't feel like school is important. I am so hoping and praying that these families step up and continue learning at home. I know there will be a plan in place through our district but we are not set up for online learning. Small group learning may be a possibility but that still defeats the purpose of the shut down so I don't know if that will happen either. Most of our families do not have internet. We did online enrollment this year and I was shocked at how many families came in to enroll (some came for help, others because they had no resource to do it at home) and didn't have an email address even. It was a requirement for setting up enrollment so my burner email is attached to many kiddos now. LOL

My daughter heard through the grapevine that they are talking about prom and graduation in the summer, once things have settled down. She feels better about that at least.

Thankfully, our district is continuing to pay everyone, so we won't be affected financially at this point. My husband's job has actually picked up a little (he works for a form printing company) and looks to be okay at this point. They work more than 10 feet apart on large presses anyway so social distancing isn't an issue there! LOL

This, too, shall pass. We've got this!
Old 03-18-2020, 11:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry for your daughter missing out on so many milestones and reading your message hits home hard. For now, schools in The Netherlands are closed until April 6th..and ofcourse I had taken into account it might take a bit longer but the rest of the year..no not at all. If my son is able to improve some of his grades..he has his final exam class next year! Right now it looks like he has to redo this year and with all this going on, I think it might be best for him to redo this school year because, eventhough he has online lessons, I do think getting actual lessons in a classroom works much better.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We are closed until March 30, but I anticipate this will be extended. I'm a teacher and trying to do online learning with my students, but it's a challenge for all of us - especially dinosaurs like me who barely know how to use technology effectively! I teach low achieving seniors who are struggling to graduate and I worry about them getting their grades up enough to pass - with or without a ceremony. I also teach theatre and our play is on hold - we were right up to tech/dress week! So sad.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I feel so bad for your daughter... be working this hard all these years and then can't walk the stage - I sure hope they can do it at a later place.

In WI, the Governor has hinted and only has gone as far as saying that the schools are closed until the bans are lifted.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post
They announced here that we are closed until at least April 28th.... I work for a trucking company, and we are not shutting down. My hubby works in a lumber mill and they are also not shutting down. The kids' dad, although just bought a house 2 blocks from me, isn't ANY help at all with them, and hasn't ever taken a day off to help care for them in 13 years, so I don't foresee that happening either. It's a nightmare!

I'm not worried about us getting sick, but how in the heck am I supposed to keep kids occupied for 6 weeks, help them learn AND work full time.
Oh, Manda! That sounds really uncomfortable. Did he move close so he could help, or just to bug you?
Old 03-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Oh, Manda! That sounds really uncomfortable. Did he move close so he could help, or just to bug you?
Oh, this is just a fraction of the twisted, complicated story. He's claims he followed us to Oregon so that he could still "help with kids"; however, in reality, he STILL only sees them every other weekend for 2 nights and doesn't make any attempt to "HELP" the rest of the time. He doesn't take time off to help with dr appointments, school functions, sporting events, illness anything for the 3 kids we share; but he'll take time off because his new wife doesn't want him to "work in this weather" (he's a truck driver and has been for 30+ years!!).
Old 03-18-2020, 01:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh, this is just a fraction of the twisted, complicated story. He's claims he followed us to Oregon so that he could still "help with kids"; however, in reality, he STILL only sees them every other weekend for 2 nights and doesn't make any attempt to "HELP" the rest of the time. He doesn't take time off to help with dr appointments, school functions, sporting events, illness anything for the 3 kids we share; but he'll take time off because his new wife doesn't want him to "work in this weather" (he's a truck driver and has been for 30+ years!!).
Oh wow I'm so sorry. That really sounds difficult!!
Old 03-18-2020, 01:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

That’s what I’m struggling with at the moment as well. I am allowed to work from home, but work is crazy busy right now. At the same time I try to watch a kid that can’t keep herself busy. She had homework, but she needs help with that too from time to time.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

WOW! I can't believe they closed for the whole year already! I'm praying the 'powers that be' know what they are doing and this virus just takes a hike already! I'm just gonna keep myself and my 3 kids at home as much as possible right now.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Not yet. *shudder* If we follow the CDC's new recommendation of being closed for 8 weeks, that would take us to the second week of May and leave 3 weeks of school left. The kids' school district was planning on implementing e-learning next school year so they've been scrambling to get something going now. Almost all of the elementary schools are Title 1 so I know many of the students do not have Internet access at home and will end up slipping through the cracks.

I'm not worried about my kids' schooling as my mom is a retired kindergarten teacher & my sister is a current kindergarten teacher (at my kids' school) and am actually excited that my son will be able to learn more being out of school since his teacher is not great at class management but I am worried about our (and everyone else's) mental health being stuck at home without little-to-no (literal & emotional) contact with others for such a long time.

I'm also worried about other life things as I was job searching (which has come to a standstill as you can imagine) as well as looking for a new place to live with our lease up on July 1. As of right now, my job is going to continue to pay me, even though I don't have as much work to do since they're shut down, but I don't know how long that will last & getting paid less will put us in dire financial straits within a few months.

It's actually my fault, guys, as my OLW for this year is "prevail." Sorry!
Old 03-18-2020, 02:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's insane!
We are not really affected since my oldest is only in preschool now so for her missing it is not really a big deal. She just stays home with her youngest two sisters.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our schools have finally closed, until future notice which could be until September! 16 year olds were due to do tests soon and they've all been cancelled. It's crazy
Old 03-18-2020, 04:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Presently today, schools will go back on the 6th or 13th depending on spring breaks

The kids have started getting work from the teachers, as practice. Nothing required, but things to keep them engaged.
Restaurants, bars, gyms, movies, etc are all closed.
Food establishments can do carry out or delivery.
I believe some of our courts are closed as well.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son was told to clear out his dorm room and turn in the key. My other son's college has not announced anything beyond April 13 yet. They are supposed to do online classes but it's clearly not going to be what it would have been in person. So many changes.

I feel for the seniors. And those who are supposed to get married. and the health care workers who need to fear going to work. Hugs and prayers all around!
Old 03-18-2020, 06:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It hasn't been made official yet but I am sure it will closed here too!
Old 03-18-2020, 08:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I live close to the border and today they announced they were closing the borders between Canada-U.S to all non-essential traffic and the big 3 have announced shut-down as well.

My son's workplace have reduced their hours to being open 5 hours a day, for now.

My hairdresser texted me as she had an opening today, I was scheduled for next week but she is closing Friday, I jumped at the appointment. Nails are Friday, they are closing Friday as well. I am good for a month now, lol.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Our school district extended the days off through April 13 today, which is through our scheduled week of spring break. I expected that to happen, just didn't think they would call it until next week since they typically wait until the last minute. My girls are bored already and it has only been 4 school days. They have work assigned to do remotely for 2 weeks, and I'm sure the teachers will all now add to the list with a third week of stuff. So far they have been good about working on it and getting it done.
The high school prom was announced to be moved to May yesterday, so there is a small hope that they might actually get to do that if we actually get to go back. Me I'm pretty pessimistic about the whole situation and will wait on my further predictions until after we see how the next week goes along, but I've been right about everything they have announced so far.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

As of now we're supposed to go back to school April 13th, but I don't think it's going to happen. We usually go until mid-June, and I think it's 50/50 whether we go back by then.

I'm a preschool teacher, so there's only so much we can do for our students online. Starting tomorrow I'll be sending weekly activity ideas and recording myself reading books for my class, but that's about all I can do.

Apparently there are regulations near us that prevent public schools from requiring online education. Under normal circumstances that makes sense since not everyone has internet access and devices, but these are not normal times. So for the first 2 weeks teachers are only allowed to post optional, ungraded review assignments while they deal with those regulations. My 10th grader and 5th grader handle their assignments very independently, and I'm sure they'll continue to do the same when we go to "real" distance learning. I don't know if my daughter will be able to learn math that way, but we'll figure it out. My special needs 8th grader is the one I'm worried about. Just helping him get through these assignments is a lot of work for me (and him), and if they get to the point where they truly expect 6-8 hours a day from the kids it's going to be a nightmare for him. He's on the autism spectrum and has ADHD and dysgraphia. He'll work for his teachers, but home is not school and I'm not his teacher--he won't make the switch like his neurotypical peers will. Even at school, he only works when a teacher is directly assisting or closely supervising and he does a reduced volume of work. Not sure how any of that will work at home, but I suspect I'm going to be spending 8+ hours a day trying to help him learn. It's a really good thing that I don't have the kind of job that expects me to be working 8 hours a day from home! For now I'm being paid, but I feel terrible that our families are being asked to continue to pay tuition while school isn't meeting. Thankfully DH's job won't be affected except for teleworking instead of going into the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
My daughter heard through the grapevine that they are talking about prom and graduation in the summer, once things have settled down. She feels better about that at least.
I hope that happens, for your daughter and all the other high school and college seniors who are missing those special times and chances to say goodbye.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
Presently today, schools will go back on the 6th or 13th depending on spring breaks

The kids have started getting work from the teachers, as practice. Nothing required, but things to keep them engaged.
Restaurants, bars, gyms, movies, etc are all closed.
Food establishments can do carry out or delivery.
I believe some of our courts are closed as well.
Kiana, are you good? Do you need anything? I have family on your side of the state, I could have them meet up with you if you need anything! I've been trying to keep in touch with my dad, but he's so busy and says he's doing fine!
Old 03-19-2020, 02:03 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
My special needs 8th grader is the one I'm worried about. Just helping him get through these assignments is a lot of work for me (and him), and if they get to the point where they truly expect 6-8 hours a day from the kids it's going to be a nightmare for him. He's on the autism spectrum and has ADHD and dysgraphia. He'll work for his teachers, but home is not school and I'm not his teacher--he won't make the switch like his neurotypical peers will. Even at school, he only works when a teacher is directly assisting or closely supervising and he does a reduced volume of work. Not sure how any of that will work at home, but I suspect I'm going to be spending 8+ hours a day trying to help him learn. It's a really good thing that I don't have the kind of job that expects me to be working 8 hours a day from home!
You could be talking about my 11th grader. Alberta schools typically go to end of June. But are closed at least till September. On line learning is being set up, assignments will start to be handed out on March 26th. We shall take it one day at a time.n
Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We're all closed, schools, businesses, airport etc just food and wealth related are working. Yesterday started the curfew from 8pm to 5am, and all vehicles are forbidden 24h only allowed public transportation, and people needs an official pass to be out. Till the end of the month but guess it will be way longer.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a paraprofessional. I work with kids with special needs. So far we are out until March 30th. The kids that I directly work with need constant guidance to accomplish their work. They need professionals teaching the concepts. Right now they are saying we will be paid until the 30th.

My daughter is in 7th grade and she is doing pretty good with the online learning. They do a lot of independent work at school already. She misses her friends and neighbors. Being an only child is hard when not being allowed to leave the house.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow, drastic measures. Uptill now, schools are closed here untill April 6th but I have a feeling this will be extended until end of April at least.
I am at home with a burn out, and I thought I was getting better. Well, not a chance. Corona makes me uncertain and anxious and that's exactly what I didn't want to experience again. Being at home alone for almost 3 months and now with husband and son, makes me want to scream.

We get homework from school every morning. But for my son that's only one hour of work. The rest of the day he thinks he has vacation. He knows about Corona virus but he's too young to really understand what is happening. Well, I don't even understand what is happening. But I am afraid we will be inside for a long time (and we are not yet in total lockdown).
Old 03-19-2020, 03:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So far they have not called school off for the year here, but I haven't ruled it out as possibly being an option. It has happened in another province soooooo...... maybe. My family is much the same as yours...... my middle son could care less, I know my youngest wouldn't mind calling it a year, but I have a Senior who would miss out on all the Senior year things, as well as my niece so we are having a hard time holding our shit together worrying about the what if's for this important milestone in their lives. I know safety and health first, but still....
Old 03-19-2020, 07:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
So far they have not called school off for the year here, but I haven't ruled it out as possibly being an option. It has happened in another province soooooo...... maybe. My family is much the same as yours...... my middle son could care less, I know my youngest wouldn't mind calling it a year, but I have a Senior who would miss out on all the Senior year things, as well as my niece so we are having a hard time holding our shit together worrying about the what if's for this important milestone in their lives. I know safety and health first, but still....
Jenn, I think the western provinces have called it for the year. Quebec is March 30th and is in Ontario are like you, April 6th.