Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default The Dreaded HD is Full!!

I knew it was coming. But still I put off dealing with it. Then last night when I was transferring files to the desktop, I got the message. Now I have to deal with it. Sigh. I am a horder and I need an intervention! Plus with my new camera and the huge RAW files it takes, I need to go through my photos more and process them and delete! So no more shopping or scrapping until I have at least 1/4 of the drive empty again!

Sigh. Not fun. Want to scrap.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to Kim

I just had this happen. I spent all of today organizing and burning cds. I backed up my EHD, etc etc. Pooped now.
They need to make HD's HUGGGGGEEE. lol
Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Bummer. Hope you can get through it quickly!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
I knew it was coming. But still I put off dealing with it. Then last night when I was transferring files to the desktop, I got the message. Now I have to deal with it. Sigh. I am a horder and I need an intervention! Plus with my new camera and the huge RAW files it takes, I need to go through my photos more and process them and delete! So no more shopping or scrapping until I have at least 1/4 of the drive empty again!

Sigh. Not fun. Want to scrap.
Just do what I do....make DH buy me a bigger HD!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL! Actually DH said he would buy me one of those new Terrabyte drives. But then if something goes wrong with it you lose a Terrabyte of data. Really I just need to clean house. Problem is it is the desktop, which even though it has the big better screen, it does not have my DVR and TV in front of it to distract me from my work. And I tried it through the network and that was painfully slow. But yeah...I could get a bigger HD, but really I don't NEED one right!

Just need a quad shot of espresso to get me through it!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a couple of EHD's attached to my laptop. One has scrapping supplies, and the other has photos. Everything is also on DVD's...and a lot of my photos are on my flickr account...I like to have a lot of space available on my HD to keep it running faster!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I say delete But I'm a big deleter.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I bet it will feel good to do some deleting. Spring Cleaning! I delete a lot too though, if I haven't touched it in several months, I probably won't.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh man, I just got the warning this week too. Only 6 GB left on my 160 GB HD. When I bought the laptop, I seriously NEVER thought I'd fill it. hehe

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am getting ready to do a major spring cleaning on my EHD.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I should have a spring cleaning too!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a 1.5 TB drive...first day I plugged it in...it was clicking. Best Buy told me that is the sign of a drive going bad...so I got a new one from them. ...but made me doubt the reliability of it.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok so I have freed up 84 Gigs now! Phew! A lot of it is my own lack of organization in my backup system. I had multiple copies of layered templates/kits and I still had a ton of PSDs that I converted to TIFFs. I still haven't deleted these layered pages yet, but I want to go through and look at the printed version to make sure that there isn't any spelling errors or other glaring errors that I may want to fix.

But I still haven't dealt with my NEF files from my camera. I am not sure how I want to delete them since I process them in LR and it will throw a hissy fit if I delete them outside of LR. But I am not sure how to do it in LR and make sure it doesn't get rid of the jpeg too. And I am not fully awake anymore so I think it will wait until tomorrow. Or else some catastrophe may ensue!

But on a lighter and funny note...as I was going through my kits (which again I am a hoarder) I opened up some OLD kits (none from this store) and had to laugh at how far digiscrapping has come! I mean these were the bomb in their day, and now you couldn't give them away for free! LOL! Well needless to say (most) of these got deleted. I did keep a few papers just because I liked the color combo and may request it from a designer to make something new! But darn it... I am keeping those Shabby Princess kits until the sun doesn't shine! LOL!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
LOL! Actually DH said he would buy me one of those new Terrabyte drives. But then if something goes wrong with it you lose a Terrabyte of data. Really I just need to clean house. Problem is it is the desktop, which even though it has the big better screen, it does not have my DVR and TV in front of it to distract me from my work. And I tried it through the network and that was painfully slow. But yeah...I could get a bigger HD, but really I don't NEED one right!

Just need a quad shot of espresso to get me through it!
I haven't read all the rest of the replies but you could always get an extra internal since it's a desktop!!! That's what I have and they are way more stable then EHD!!! I had an 80GB one for 5 years and I just upgraded last Feb (of 2008) to a 320GB one and I've not had a stick of problem with any of them!!!

We even transplanted the 80GB one into an old Dell that we are letting the kids use and it's still going on strong.......6 years later!!!

Don't get me wrong I still back everything up to DVD (twice) and keep a copy with me and a copy at Dh's work. I'm to paranoid not to!!! But if you really would like a bigger one do some reviews on internal hard drives......I can't remember what me new one is (Dh got it for me as a birthday gift) but our 80GB one is a Western!!!

Elizabeth

Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to add that I'm a big deleter too....I do it about 3 times a year!!! I just did a huge clean up and deleted almost 10 GB worth of stuff and moved 5 more GB to a "TO DELETE" folder that if I don't use it in a few months the whold folder goes "bye bye".

I just like lots of space so things run smoothly (like someone else in this thread pointed out). I probably don't have more then 40GB worth of scrap supplies on my HD at once!!!

So glad you got some space freed up!!!

Elizabeth

Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh see this is the 320 gig HD that was full. So you see, I really did need to clean some out! I usually scrap on my laptop and have two EHDs with that (one for my LOs and layered templates and one for my scrapping supplies, and the photos I am working with are on my internal HD). But the desktop is mainly for backing up, mass storage of my photos and LOs. I was transferring my zip files from my new kits when it gave me the dreaded message. Usually I add them to my desktop until I get enough to fill a DVD or two and then burn them and delete.

Oh and we did just get a new 500 gig HD too for it, but I really wanted to use this as a double back up (mirror of my first HD) so I didn't want to overflow to that one and not be able to use it as a backup.

So see...it really isn't a hardware issue (my DH really is a computer geek and REALLY would have got me a 1T drive if I let him) but a packrat/organization problem! My main problem with getting rid of stuff, is that I am NOT a kit only scrapper, so I always think..."I could use that later" since I pull from various places. But yeah I do need to delete more and more often!