Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner
Default Refrigerator question

I need to get a new refrigerator like first thing in the morning tomorrow. My brother gave me one when we moved into this apartment because there were no appliances. However, it doesn't work properly. I can't complain for free but it has moved from being annoying to being...completely useless.

For some odd reason, the fridge doesn't get as cold as it should and the freezer gets TOO cold. Even with the fridge set on coldest setting and fridge set on warmest.

Well I just went to get milk and it is spoiled.

So I have to go buy a new fridge in the morning. I can't do it tonight because I am not dragging 3 kids to Lowe's, David is working. I'm going to take what food I have that's unspoiled up to Tab's. Is a refrigerator something that I can bring home and it will work immediately? Will it take a bit to get cold or whatever?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Normally they deliver and it'll take a couple days? I think once we got ours hooked up we had to let it cool I wanna say for like 2-3ish hours? I can't remember it's been over a year ago but pretty sure it wasn't immediate.

*ETA* DH said it was about 2 or 3 hours lol..I thought it was longer

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

this is stupid stinky bad luck

Well I'm not going to let them deliver...I will take it tomorrow in a truck...but that still sucks having to let it cool for that long before I can use it.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Our Maytag was cold in just about 20 minutes or so.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

make sure if you can take it in the truck that you keep it standing up. Jeff said something about if you lay it on it's side then it takes forever for the refrigerant to recycle. I have no idea what he's talking about.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my new one last year was cool in less than an hour I think

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to Kim

You can buy some floor models... so you might be able to just take home. Sometimes they keep some in the back area as well. We had to order ours and get it a couple days later.

I think it took a little over an hour to cool enough for food... the only thing that took a while is the ice maker and water dispenser had to be flushed through a few times before it was drinkable.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, Lena - the light DOES go off when you shut the door. LOL

Had to make a smart a$$ comment after reading the title
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We bought ours (brand new) when we bought our house last summer- and I remember it starting to get cold immediately. The appliance dealer said it should be at the temperature we set it at within 30 minutes, so we loaded everything in and had no problems.... the only thing I'd wait on putting in there immediately would be, like ice cream or popsicles- but even our frozen meat was ok when we transfered it Good luck

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
make sure if you can take it in the truck that you keep it standing up. Jeff said something about if you lay it on it's side then it takes forever for the refrigerant to recycle. I have no idea what he's talking about.
See I know all about that. I think that's part of what was wrong with this one! It arrived on my brother's truck on it's side and they told me not to use it for a whole day, to plug it in after 24 hours. So I did. I let it sit there a whole 24 hours and then I plugged it in and put food in it after another 6 hours. I wasn't sitting there with spoiling food at the time though, so I wasn't in a hurry. I plugged it in and went grocery shopping, etc.

I am not sure but I think this one could have been STORED on its side which may have ruined it. (It had been sitting in storage).

We've had it for weeks though and it's not working right, plus getting worse I think.

We're going first thing in the morning.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Do you have a Sears scratch and dent near you or even an Appliance Direct? I would say to go to one of those before Lowes because they offer floor models at very discounted prices. We found one at Sears that had just a small dent on the side and it was reduced like 40%

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Lena, we had that happen to our fridge soon after we got it and the guy that came out told us what the problem was is that some ice had gotten down into the fan system in the freezer and screwed things up. I'm pretty sure we just unplugged it and let all the ice melt, and made sure to keep things a little ways away from the vents, or at least so they're not completely covered.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Our Fridge was having issues a few months ago, and we ended up getting a new one. We were without a fridge for a while, and I just bought some dry ice and put it in the fridge/freezer. It kept it cold just like the fridge would. The dry ice lasted 2-3 days at a time. And I did leave the fridge running so that the fan would blow the cold air from the dry ice around. After a while when we had just a few things left, I put the food and dry ice in the freezer and it was just like a mini fridge.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hey Lena,
I know it is a ride for you to go anywhere. Call first and ask what they have in stock. Then look it up online. And check Home Depot and Sears to see if they have the same item. Lowe's will price match. Plus, don't forget straps. Last thing you need is a brand new fridge sliding around the back of the truck. DH is bad a preplanning. He is very spontaneous. And we always end up having to buy straps because they are never in the truck.
Also, we moved in December. It took under an hour for our fridge to cool up when we got here.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We had a similar problem...I actually used a mini refrigerator for about a week until the repair guy came out and fixed the problem for about $60...the freezer was SUPER cold and the refrigerated part was lukewarm...it had to do with some part that took about 5 minutes to fix!

Happy to be creating for....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

Lowe's will price match plus 10% (has to be the exact model of the exact brand, though).