Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2023, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Regifting... have you done it?

I try hard to not regift. I want to appreciate the item that someone picked for me.... but I have done it.

In fact, I am doing it this year.

A friend gave me the cutest package of socks. I really like them, but I know my niece would enjoy them more. (I have gone to the store where she purchased them hoping to buy more, but they are sold out).

I feel guilty regifting them, but I know they would bring lots of enjoyment to my niece.

Anyone else need to make a confession?

Old 12-22-2023, 09:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

lol I can’t say that I have regifted but I have sold or just gotten rid of altogether. A lot. Mostly from my mother in law. Oops
Old 12-23-2023, 11:53 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I never have. Instead, I just donate the stuff if it's not something I would like.
Old 12-23-2023, 04:08 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I regift if I think someone would like it. Like, would TRULY enjoy it. I've given my mom candles with fragrances I don't like but I know she does.
I was going to get DD's bf a gift card to Wawa; turn out I got 3 from students this week, so I gave one to him.
Sometimes I tell people it's a regift. It's a simple "hey, my MIL got this for me, and it made me think of you. Would you like it?" (That's less a "regift" than a "re-home" lol cuz I tell them it was first meant for me.) My MIL is obsessed with getting me stuff with lemons on it cuz she once (years ago) saw me looking at, like, a kitchen towel with lemons on it. What she didn't know was I wasn't buying it for myself: it was for my mom. (Long story but she likes lemons.) Anyway, now, whenever MIL gifts me something with lemons, I regift it to my mom. Everybody's happy.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:28 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I have. Usually if it is from dirty Santa gift exchanges and I’m stuck with something I don’t like
Old 12-26-2023, 09:04 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I've ever regifted, but I often re-home, as Sara said. DH's SIL used to regift at least one gift just about every year to me. Case in point: one year there was a small remnant of Christmas paper and tape on the back of the box. Lol!
Old 12-26-2023, 05:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I have regifted - mainly the things where you get something from someone that doesn't know you well so it's a 'generic' type of gift (coffee mug, bath stuff which I'm allergic too, etc). I also regift wine - I don't like it, so I take it for hostesses when we go somewhere for supper.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep. I have. Last year I got a gift card from a student to Sonic. The high school kid who vacuumed floors at the school mentioned he liked Sonic. I gave him the gift card for Christmas.

This year I won a gift card in a drawing and gave it to my son for Christmas. Not quite the same thing but...

This year I got a gift in a work exchange (not a personal exchange) and regifted it to my brother because I knew he would like it.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't regift, I usually just give things away or to charity.

I'm not sure if this is regifting, but when I win something at work, this year I won a halloween door decorating thing, I give my prize to my employees. I have always done that and I am not really sure why, but my team loves when I enter something. LOL I win a lot, which means they win a lot. LOL
Old 12-29-2023, 08:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love reading the responses. I feel a little better about sharing a gift given to me with another.

I like the phrase re-home. That fits the bill! Giving it to someone else who will really appreciate and enjoy the item.