Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Does your family read?

Do other members of your family read? Do you often read the same books?

DH and I are both big readers, but we read for different reasons, so seldom read the same things. The one exception over the past year has been Boys in the Boat. We both read and loved that one.

This year my son (4th grade) has really stepped up his own reading. He often brings me books he is reading and asks me to read along with him (makes my heart sing). My favorites from him have been Wonder and When You Reach Me.

My 1st grade daughter doesn't really do any reading for fun. If she does pick up a book on her own, it usually has a cuddly critter on the cover. We are currently reading Third Grade Angels for bedtime reading.

How about you? Do you share books with family members? What do you like to read with your kids?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I'm the only reader in my family, but I'm hopeful that Chloe (age 3 next month) will follow suit. The girl LOVES books. She'll take a stack of books and put them in her bed at night. She loves to look at them on her own and to have us read them to her.

Jeff just doesn't read at all if he can help it. He has an issue with his eyes that makes reading difficult, so he never reads for pleasure. Having just graduated with his BS, he did so much reading for school that I don't expect to see him picking up a book again anytime soon.

My oldest daughter Kendra (17 next month) will pick up a book once in a while, but I can count on one hand the number of books she's read for pleasure over the past 3 years. When she was little, we used to read together all the time, and I made sure that she saw me reading a lot. I tried to encourage reading without being pushy, but it's just not her thing.

I just can't imagine NOT loving to read, but I've been that way my whole life. I've always enjoyed getting lost in a story. My mom & sister aren't really readers (mom will read now and then, but she doesn't love it like I do), so I'm really not sure where my love for it came from.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE to read, so my daughter is a bit of a mystery to me since she never voluntarily picks up a book.

My hubby is a professor, so he reads all the time, but he rarely ever reads fiction and I rarely read non-fiction, so we tend not to read the same things.

My son loves to read. He's in 6th grade, and he does like it when I read the same book as him because he loves to talk about them. I read about 5 of the Warriors (cat) series at the same time as him but I just couldn't keep going after that.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby loves to read and reads quite often. He's reeading the entire Harry Potter series right now. He reads mostly fantasy type books (which I'm not into), but also enjoys crime/mystery/spy novels (which are my fave).

I love to read as well, but I have a really hard time managing my time well while I read. I'm the type that gets completely sucked into a book and I basically don't do anything else until I finish it. I'll lie on the couch all day in my jammies and stay up until ridiculous hours to finish it. I basically devour them. Because of my inability to get anything else done while I'm reading a book, I don't read as often as I like or else my house would be in shambles and I'd never get out new product for the shop.

My daughter is still learning to read (1st grade) and she struggles with it, so she doesn't like when I force her to have her reading time. I do read a chapter a night of The Never Girls series to her before bed and she LOVES that!

My 3 year old is obsessed with one of his books "Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site" and he insists on having that read to him at bedtime EVERY night. He enjoys some other books too, but this is definitely his fave.

We all read scriptures as a family most nights. Allie reads one verse, I have Sheldon repeat one verse as I say it aloud for him, and DH and I split the remaining verses in the chapter.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!

Last edited by Misty Cato; 01-14-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm the biggest reader in the family, and since I read mostly romance and chick lit with some urban fantasy mixed in, no one wants to read what I read. DH reads about a book a month. He likes sci fi and fantasy. He and my 5th grader have read a lot of the same books. Usually DH reads it first then tells DS he should read it. My 5th grader is picky about books. He loves to read and will finish a long book in a day, but it has to be the right book. At the moment that's Star Wars and books about military history and technology. My 8 year old has always loved to read and will read anything, but he's having a very tough time with the transition to chapter books. His ADHD and autism make it hard for him to stay focused on and comprehend longer pages. My youngest is a kindergartner and just making that transition to real reading.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
My son loves to read. He's in 6th grade, and he does like it when I read the same book as him because he loves to talk about them. I read about 5 of the Warriors (cat) series at the same time as him but I just couldn't keep going after that.
My son and I did the same thing with that series. I think we read the first 6 in the original series then just decided we were done. There are a million different books and spin-offs.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Turnidge View Post

I love to read as well, but I have a really hard time managing my time well while I read. I'm the type that gets completely sucked into a book and I basically don't do anything else until I finish it. I'll lie on the couch all day in my jammies and stay up until ridiculous hours to finish it. I basically devour them. Because of my inability to get anything else done while I'm reading a book, I don't read as often as I like or else my house would be in shambles and I'd never get out new product for the shop.
I love to do this too. I'm using this to motivate myself. If I get my kit done today, I am going to spend tomorrow afternoon in my favorite coffee shop reading.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My daughter is still learning to read (1st grade) and she struggles with it, so she doesn't like when I force her to have her reading time. I do read a chapter a night of The Never Girls series to her before bed and she LOVES that!
My daughter loved that series too. I should dig it back out.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DH reads but not as much as me. He's really into audio books.

DS loves to read..he's at that age where he reads the same books over and over though. He loves Big Nate and Bad Kitty Books right now.

DD is in Kindy and just this past week they've started being able to check out library books and take AR tests and she is so excited..she's been reading for a while so she's already been allowed to check out 1.5-2.0 level books.

I try to read chapter books with the kids often...mostly during the summer though when we have more time.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband is a pretty big reader but he reads mostly non fiction books and it bores me to tears lol.

My girls used to be huge readers until they got to the point in school where they have no time left for anything but homework. So mostly it is my mother in law and I.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That's me, too. I had to stop reading for years because I couldn't put a book down once I started. Audio books and Kindle Text to Speech saved me, LOL. Now I read on my Kindle when I have time, and I switch to listening while I get things done or scrap.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
I love to do this too. I'm using this to motivate myself. If I get my kit done today, I am going to spend tomorrow afternoon in my favorite coffee shop reading.
haha! That's a pretty good idea!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Both of my boys (13 & 17) read, but not as much as me... for me reading is neccessary each day (at least in bed before sleeping), but for my boys not....

Bastian, the 17th old one is reading fantasy and so we normally don't read the same books, because fantasy isn't mine..... :-)

Tobias, who is 13 is a special child and has difficulties with learning (he goes to a special school) and so he doesn't read the stuff normally 13 years old read... he loves to read "Magic Tree House"-Series
Old 01-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my Gran is the biggest reader in the family. she's totally a bookworm.She checks out 20 book at a time at the library and go thru them fast, when she runs out of books, she switches over to her handheld game til she can get to the library, if too long, book withdraw lol. she only reads mysteries

me on the on the other hand like books but don't read often as i should. maybe once or twice a year. when i do it's mostly non fiction, research, and self help.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

My daughter is still learning to read (1st grade) and she struggles with it, so she doesn't like when I force her to have her reading time.
Have you tried audio books? My girls at that age LOVED (and still love) audio books before bed at night. I figured as long as they're enjoying a story, it didn't matter whether they were reading it or listening to it.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That is such a good idea jacinda! We have a hard time getting Lucas to want to read or even sit with us and read.. I'm going to try that!

I love to read but I have a hard time finding the time to do so.. I'm hoping to make it more of a priority this year. Lily likes to read as long as she has books that interest her.

My husband is NOT a reader. Other than magazines I have never seen him read a book in the entire 16 years we have been together.. :O
Old 01-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Have you tried audio books? My girls at that age LOVED (and still love) audio books before bed at night. I figured as long as they're enjoying a story, it didn't matter whether they were reading it or listening to it.
Online books are another great option for reluctant or struggling readers. At sites like myON and Tumblebooks the kids see the book and the words while the books are read outloud. My kindergartener LOVES it. We have free access to one through our public schools and the other through our county library. I don't know the exact age range, but some of the books skew old enough that my 11 year old reads over her shoulder while she's on myON!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby was never into reading as a kid - even in school, he wouldn't read the assigned books, he got really good at guessing answers on the test. haha Then when he was in Amway, his up-line leader had a book club where he challenged his down-line to read books about selling and general better communication skill type of books. Now hubby is into books about computers (especially how to automate tasks on the iMac) and he really like autobiographies. But he doesn't have a ton time, so it takes him months to read through a book.

Only once did DH and I read the same book at the same time - we read Love Languages together...

Jake... LOVES.. loves books... always has, he taught himself how to read at age 4. Now, I have to have a monthly book budget to keep up with him. He isn't big into fiction - he does read Big Nate or Geronimo Stillton... but he really wants to read books on subjects we are talking about in his homeschool community - like we just got done talking about the human body. Of course, being homeschoolers - we do a lot of reading together - J and I.

I'm a big reader, but I'm like Megan... it will bother me to have a book in progress. haha... so I have to pick either i'm going to read or scrap... and I love a good trashy romance or historical fiction.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't count on one hand the number of books DH read until he got a Kindle and now he reads. It's wonderful! My kids started out loving books until they started school, my oldest came around and now reads for pleasure when she has time, unfortunately she doesn't have much of that. My youngest is hit or miss, she enjoys it once she gets going but it's not something she does on her own.

My parents, grandparents, we're all avid readers, we are always reading.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband and I are both avid readers. But we don't read the same genres at all. Our monthly book budget is pretty insane with how much we both read.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I have not. Maybe I should try though!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Online books are another great option for reluctant or struggling readers. At sites like myON and Tumblebooks the kids see the book and the words while the books are read outloud. My kindergartener LOVES it. We have free access to one through our public schools and the other through our county library. I don't know the exact age range, but some of the books skew old enough that my 11 year old reads over her shoulder while she's on myON!
Great! I will look into these sites with her tomorrow! Thanks!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the reminder about tumble books, my 7 yo son lives it and it's been about a month since he's used it.

Cheers!
Mary in MN (organizedmom)
Old 01-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My husband and I love reading and have read together many times. One memorable time was in 2001 in the final weeks of my first pregnancy we took turns reading The Hobbit. I had hundreds of books, for both children and adults, before I even had kids (partly because I was a teacher in the 90's), so my kids have always been surrounded by books and reading before bedtime has been a regular thing from the start. We've read the Harry Potter series together several times.

Unfortunately, my husband is so busy he doesn't spend as much time reading as I think he'd like. I don't read as much as I'd like either, for the same reason some of you have mentioned. I like to devour books all at once, so I have to limit them to get other things done too.

My oldest learned how to read early and devours books like I do. She's 13 now and has recently enjoyed all of Cassandra Clare's books and John Green's books. Me too!

My 11 year old daughter was a "late" reader and it still feels like work to her. She enjoys books and will try to read them sometimes, but prefers listening to them.

My 8 year old son is a fabulous reader, but hasn't chosen to immerse himself in a chapter book yet. He still wants me to read to him every night though. His sisters enjoy being read to still occasionally, but both of them started wanting to put themselves to bed around age 11.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My hubby and I are both big readers and my daughter (4th grade, but reads at a 6th grade level) also loves to read. The lone man out is my son. He's in 2nd grade and would much rather be doing something physical. I hope he comes around some day.

Gallery
Old 04-11-2015, 12:15 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

We are readers at varying degrees I guess! I read ALOT. I don't think I've ever left the house without a book, just for the simple fact I never know when I'll have a few minutes here or there to bust through a few pages. My husband has a pretty demanding job so he doesn't feel like reading most of the time, but I have started him a Clive Cussler collection. Those are his favorites. I get them in the clearance aisle (as most of our books) at the BAM in the mall. I guess he kind of binge reads. When he starts one of those he will read constantly until it's done and then it might be 6 months before he reads another.

The boys - Conor is almost 14 and has to read regularly for AR. With that said, I am NOT a fan of the AR program simply because he reads at an 11th grade level instead of 8 and the books that he can and would like to read are more than he can get done in a quarter or whatever the allotted time is to complete it. He reads alot. Highschool will be nice in the fall because he can read whatever he wants aside from the required literature.

Caden is 10 and always has his nose stuck in a book. He can't get enough.

I love that both of them read and enjoy it because they both were reading recovery kiddos way back in kindy and first. 1 year in that program and they were accelerated readers. I am a HUGE advocate for it!!