Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Hybrid Ladies...

Ok so I want to get into Hybrid as I've done a few little projects and have loved how they have turned out! So basically I was just wondering what would you reccomend in relation to glue/papers etc?
Do you have a particular type of glue that you swear by?
Do you have a particular brand of paper?
Bsaically I want to get a little kit together that will give me the basics of what I need when I get my bonus in 2 weeks. All suggestions are appreciated

Thanks,

Star x
Old 09-30-2011, 04:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use a combination of adhesives depending on the project. Sometimes I use double-sided tape, other times it's a glue stick, or tacky glue.

Any white cardstock is good if you're doing boxes or 3D items. I use matt photo paper quite a bit too, and usually gluestick it to cardstock or something more sturdy if I need to. The colours print so much better on photo paper than on cardstock, but once again it depends on your project.

Me recommending brands would be no good - we have different brands to you - although usually a good idea is to go with the same brand as your printer.

My favourite tool (because I don't have cricuts or silhouette machines or anything) is my Fiskars scissors. They are great for fine cutting of small pieces. I couldn't do my hybrid without them. I don't have a scorer, instead using the back of my tweezers, and a metal ruler. Works fine for me and saves money too.

Last edited by jacinda; 09-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I mostly do cards, so my choice might be biased.

As for glue - I use glue dots (for flowers, buttons, bows etc.), double-sided tapes (for ribbons), foam pads (for dimension) and refill rollers (for paper).

As for paper - I just use what I can find in my local hypermarket - basic 160g paper (I find that 200g is too thick) or matter presentation paper (I think that one is 140g, I'm not sure) and card stock (makes for a nice base with cards).

As for the rest - some scissors (nothing particular, just some I found in the local hobby store), I have 3 sizes of them. I have a cutting mat (I don't think it's necessary), a basic scoring tool (that isn't necessary either) and, of course, a metal ruler (very much necessary). That's about it I think.

Last edited by adrianka; 09-30-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, for me... I like to use tape runners and glue dots... those are my staples for 99% of all my projects. Runner brands - I'm not that particular, just usually what is on sale in the scrapbooking area... I do not like Scotch 017-4 0.33-Inch runners I also use a lot of foam dots.

As for paper, I like royal brite double sided matte presentation paper.. I get it in 100 page packs at Sam's Club. I know many people here swear by the Epson brand... with my printer, I haven't noticed a difference between the two brands. I don't personally use cardstock - I fined it really sucks up the ink...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

Adhesive: I'm with Rebecca on the not any particular tape runner usage. Whatever is on sale or I can use a coupon with is it.

I also find that I use a hot glue gun for when I really want to adhere something for good. I have found that if I don't give a card or project away right away and it sits for a bit, even glue dots sometimes pop off - I guess it just depends on what it is adhered to maybe?

Paper: I have used both the Epson matte presentation paper and the Red River 60lb. Polar Matte Double Sided. Worth every penny in my opinion (the Red River paper).
Old 10-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Woot thanks for all the sugggestions I'm going to get my little kit together and hopefully willstart to make some hybrid projects that look good lol thanks again x