Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Current Reads... Early March

Helloooooooo Sweet Readers!! So. What titles have been keeping you up late and into the wee hours of the morning? Which is a bit of a figure of speech for me these days, as I struggle to read at night without falling asleep! Are you having good luck with book selections? Or have you hit some duds? I snagged two books in February that, try as I might, I just couldn't stay interested in : The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson & The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi. Both were quite good... but neither seemed to hold my attention. Perhaps I'll try again later. It is frustrating however, as the combined reading I did on both of those equaled 400+ pages and could've been another title finished. A bit of a bummer. Although, I did read 24 books in February, so not too shabby.

Q is for Quarry : 4 stars
R is for Ricochet : 4 stars
S is for Silence : 4 stars
T is for Trespass : 3 stars
Yes Please : 3 stars
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children : 3 stars
A Knife in the Fog : 4 stars
A Study in Charlotte : 3 stars
Coraline : 4 stars
Stardust : 5 stars
A Curious Beginning : 3 stars
Sometimes I Lie : 3 stars
The Library Book : 5 stars
Murder on the Orient Express : 4 stars
U is for Undertow : 4 stars
V is for Vengeance : 4 stars
In an Absent Dream : 3 stars
One for the Money : 3 stars
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women : 4.5 stars

My favorite titles were Stardust, Radium Girls [although it's terribly sad & as a result, it took me nearly a week to get through] and most of all The Library Book! It's a bit dry and wanders back and forth between the past and present and back again, but the language, subject matter and vocabulary seriously had my heart singing - so gooooood. I also greatly enjoyed Coraline, but must admit [for what might be the first time ever] that I actually loved the movie even more!

Last edited by lingovise; 03-05-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read Radium Girls and it was disturbing but I'm glad I read it. I've got Sometimes I Lie on reserve at our digi library.

Here's what I've read so far these last few mths.

The only one I wasn't really into was Sweet Lamb Of Heaven. I did finish it but it wasn't one of my faves.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
Helloooooooo Sweet Readers!! So. What titles have been keeping you up late and into the wee hours of the morning? Which is a bit of a figure of speech for me these days, as I struggle to read at night without falling asleep! Are you having good luck with book selections? Or have you hit some duds? I snagged two books in February that, try as I might, I just couldn't stay interested in : The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson & The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi. Both were quite good... but neither seemed to hold my attention. Perhaps I'll try again later. It is frustrating however, as the combined reading I did on both of those equaled 400+ pages and could've been another title finished. A bit of a bummer. Although, I did read 24 books in February, so not too shabby.

Q is for Quarry : 4 stars
R is for Ricochet : 4 stars
S is for Silence : 4 stars
T is for Trespass : 3 stars
Yes Please : 3 stars
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children : 3 stars
A Knife in the Fog : 4 stars
A Study in Charlotte : 3 stars
Coraline : 4 stars
Stardust : 5 stars
A Curious Beginning : 3 stars
Sometimes I Lie : 3 stars
The Library Book : 5 stars
Murder on the Orient Express : 4 stars
U is for Undertow : 4 stars
V is for Vengeance : 4 stars
In an Absent Dream : 3 stars
One for the Money : 3 stars
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women : 4.5 stars

My favorite titles were Stardust, Radium Girls [although it's terribly sad & as a result, it took me nearly a week to get through] and most of all The Library Book! It's a bit dry and wanders back and forth between the past and present and back again, but the language, subject matter and vocabulary seriously had my heart singing - so gooooood. I also greatly enjoyed Coraline, but must admit [for what might be the first time ever] that I actually loved the movie even more!
omg how did you read 24 books???? It takes me days to read just 1, lol! And a week for a full novel.

Anyway, I've mostly been into self-improvement and business books because I'm so fired up about my new business, but I did re-read a favorite novel. This is what I've read since January.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I read zero books last month... which is pretty much par for the course these days... I just wanted to pop in and say WOW! I'm super impressed with you ladies. Clearly I need to work on my time management skills!!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm listening to an audio book as I drive around....called The Plant Paradox. The guy talks about lectins in food and how they effect our body. Not sure if I would enjoy reading it, I think I would get bored with it, but as an audio book....I am loving it. I like to learn as much about food and nutrition as I can.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I finished two:
Daughter of the Pirate King
Love, Life and the List

The author of Atomic City Girls is speaking at my work today....but I didn't finish the book. Darn.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been reading all the YA and nonfiction lately which is a really weird combo for me!

My favorites this month: Jefferson's Son, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and Piecing me Together!

I also LOVED The Dry but it was more my typical thriller read. Oh and Where the Forest Meets the Stars was amazing!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One of my fave books so far this year is by Lisa Gardner....Never Tell. There are a few others in this series I am going to read too. I recommend it for anyone that loves thrillers/mystery. Her writing style is very easy-to-read and flows so smoothly. Every time I read this story I am surprised at how much time has gone by b/c I get lost in the book and time flies.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, I'm super impressed with those long book lists!! I have read one book this month so far, Five Feet Apart, for a book club. I loved it. I'm now reading Shatter Me which is good so far, but it takes me a long time to get through books. I usually read when I'm in the car waiting for my daughter to get done with her activities or in the school pickup line!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kelley - did you know the movie "Five Feet Apart" is coming out soon? I saw the promo for it last week. I'm going to see it. I should read the book first.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I'm new to the reading list, but I'm working on "An American Marriage" this month and finishing up "A Man Called Ove". I would highly recommend "An American Marriage"! "Stardust" and "Coraline" are two of my all time favorites, and I started "Radium Girls" for a book club but wasn't sure my stomach could handle the details so stopped reading. I also have "How to Be Good" on my to-read list and borrowed "Yes, Please" from my sister in law lol. Agatha Christie are good reads too although I haven't picked one up in awhile.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Andrea - I loved A Man Called Ove and Radium Girls. I just reserved American Marriage and How To Be Good so should be reading them soon. Thx for the recommendation.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post
My favorites this month: Jefferson's Son, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and Piecing me Together!
I just read The Witch of Blackbird Pond, too! I'm teaching it for my 8th grade literature class, and it made me SO ANXIOUS. Poor Kit going from life in paradise to Puritan New England was the WORST.

This is what I've read the last couple of months:

This is the story of how "Science Mike" lost his faith & found it in a different form,
and I enjoyed his authenticity and his reading about his experience.

This was interesting because it isn't the usual defector story,
and she writes about all that she loved & lost in North Korea.

This is an older book, and I find Glennon's story really interesting.
I used to read her blog, and while I don't agree with her whole
"I am the only person who will never let me down" idea,
I really appreciate how open & honest she is in this book.

This just finished off the Charlotte Holmes series,
which was entertaining.

I've also read a LOT of Junie B Jones to Ariana, and that girl just makes me laugh so much.

Last edited by joelsgirl; 04-30-2019 at 07:53 PM.