Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How many layouts in an album?

I was just browsing through my layouts of 2010 and was kind of shocked to see there are 88 of them! (excluding the ones I already put in my babyalbum!) I am not even finished, there are still a couple of holidays I want to scrap and some other important photos... But now I'm starting to worry that a 100 pages is way to much for 1 album! I want to get them printed in a bound photo book from Blurb.
I might eventually drop a couple of pages, but I am wondering: how many pages do you typically put in one album?
Does anyone have albums with 100 pages?
I'm worried about the weight and also about the durability of a book with that many pages... Or should I separate them over 2 albums?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm going to have over 100 pages this year. I'm doing the 365 project and plan on putting those pictures in the 2011 album and add other events in between them. Last years album was like 60 pages, so I'd love to know this answer, too.

I'm freaking out a bit because oh my gosh! It's September! And I still haven't scrapped some events from January. Trying to focus on getting all caught up in this month. Don't want to rush it all at the end of the year.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know what I'll do with all of mine - I have well over 200 so far this year. I have a family album, and then one for each of my kids, and 1 for me. My system may change in the future though, because I'm new and don't really know the best way to do this yet. I don't think 88 in an album sounds ridiculous though...
Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, like I said, it's not finished yet... It will easily be 100 once I have everything scrapped. Me too, I'm still wondering what the best way of organizing albums is... I had settled on the idea of doing just a book a year with all of my pages from that year. But then my kids won't have any books of their own when they leave home (except for their baby books). Maybe I should keep making books for each one of them, I don't know. But I dread the organization of that because I have a lot of pages with the 2 of them!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, I was doing albums every 3 months, so I'd have 4 a year. I'm finished with June & almost finished July & I have about 120 pages, viovio.com albums hold 160 pages, so I'll probably add August and then print. & I'll have one for Sept-Dec.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I first started I was planning to do yearly albums, but decided instead to use Stacy Julian's Library of Memories system which is a non-chronological way to organize the albums. I've also decided that if the kids want albums later, then I can just re-print some of the pages - maybe into a photo book. I have no idea how many pages I have in my albums right now.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kate: how are your albums organized then?
And are they fillable albums or photo books?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm using 3ing binders (We 'R Memory Keepers 12x12 albums) and putting the individual pages in page protectors. The albums are divided into four major categories: All About Us (immediate family), People We Love (friends and other family), Places We Go (around town and trips), and Things We Do (which includes things like the kids' school and sports, hobbies, holidays and celebrations). Eventually I'll get section dividers for the sub-categories - right now I'm using sticky notes on the page protectors until I'm pretty sure how I want to break down the major categories.

What I love about this system is that I can scrap whatever I feel like at the time rather than feeling like I have to scrap chronologically. Stacy teaches a system for organizing photos, also, that encourages seeing (and making pages about) connections.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for explaining. I think I've read about it before. I don't think I would feel comfortable with that method. I still prefer to have them chronological and I do prefer to have them bound in photobooks. But the advantage of being so behind on my books is that I also still get to scrap what I feel like at the time, teehee. Plenty of photos left from the past 7 years! But not one finished year yet. Although, if I would put an extra effort to it, 2010 might be the first one finished pretty soon.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
I had settled on the idea of doing just a book a year with all of my pages from that year. But then my kids won't have any books of their own when they leave home (except for their baby books). Maybe I should keep making books for each one of them, I don't know. But I dread the organization of that because I have a lot of pages with the 2 of them!
I just switched from doing 1 album per child per year to doing 1 family album. As my kids get older (7, 5, and 2 years), I'm doing more pages with 2 or 3 of them, and it no longer made sense to keep printing multiple copies. I also started to think about how I feel about looking back at my childhood--seeing pictures of my siblings and parents brings back as many memories as photos of myself, and my childhood memories would seem incomplete if photos of me were in a book by themselves.

I'm still debating how to deal with the issue of books to pass on to my kids. Right now I'm leaning toward having our family memories in a big, annual album then every 5 years or so going through and picking the most significant layouts from the past 5 years to print each child a book. I don't think they'd want or need shelves worth of albums when they move out, but I still want them to have something.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I generally have between 60-100 pages in a photobook. I've had no problems with having larger books.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I've only done albums for special events (vacation and my pregnancy), so they usually stick to about 20-30 pages to cover everything...

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well, like I said, it's not finished yet... It will easily be 100 once I have everything scrapped. Me too, I'm still wondering what the best way of organizing albums is... I had settled on the idea of doing just a book a year with all of my pages from that year. But then my kids won't have any books of their own when they leave home (except for their baby books). Maybe I should keep making books for each one of them, I don't know. But I dread the organization of that because I have a lot of pages with the 2 of them!
I can't speak from experience (childless and all), but I think I'd rather risk a thicker book or 2 books for a year (I will also have to split my vacation book into two as it has about 140 pages) than go crazy by dividing albums according to children. I'd rather leave them together. You're a family, so they can both receive albums that contain pics of them both (regardless of whether both of them are in the picture).

Old 09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i don't do bound books like that. i print individual pages and put them in a scrapbook album. which reminds me, i need to do a massive print order from persnickety in october..

however, think of it this way- a typical "coffee table" bound book (you know, those decorative/informational books that people have in their living rooms..) has what, 200 pages or so? and 100 is half of that. so i think 100 is appropriate.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm just going to stick with my plan and do a book for each year. The kids can divide them once I'm gone, or if they want they can order a copy. I will keep my large jpg files anyway. Plus, the books I order through Blurb stay available online for ordering, I just don't know for how long.

I do plan on buying a fillable album for my Book of Me and have those lo's printed as single pages, because that one will never really be finished.
And I just found out that photo books at Blurb can contain up to 440 pages! I wouldn't want it to have that many pages, but at least I can rest assured that it won't be a problem having 100 pages in it!

@Adrianka: where do you have your photo books made? I did some research, and Blurb does a stitched binding (which is what I really wanted because then there's no risk of pages becoming loose) and they have a department in Europe, which helps keeping the shipping costs low. I think I paid 5.95 € for shipping.

Last edited by Freckles; 09-12-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
@Adrianka: where do you have your photo books made? I did some research, and Blurb does a stitched binding (which is what I really wanted because then there's no risk of pages becoming loose) and they have a department in Europe, which helps keeping the shipping costs low. I think I paid 5.95 € for shipping.
So far nowhere. I'm the typical non-chronological scrapper, so I got nowhere near finishing any book. With the possible exception of my vacation book, but the way I did it (photo as a background) I *need* lay-flat pages... Not everyone does them, and they're much more expensive, so I'm still undecided.

One way to go for me (with the exception of books like that) would be to let my pages be printed by Persnickety and buy albums... But since I do 2-pagers, I think I need to think twice before deciding what do to about that (ladies here have already told me about solutions, but I had no time or money to invest due to my unpaid leave).

I'll research Blurb then, too.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Well, I was doing albums every 3 months, so I'd have 4 a year. I'm finished with June & almost finished July & I have about 120 pages, viovio.com albums hold 160 pages, so I'll probably add August and then print. & I'll have one for Sept-Dec.
I've always loved your photo books. Actually that was the inspiration for me to start doing my own, but I still love to look at yours, and hope you don't mind, lol!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I do photo books and always have 100 pages. It's not too much in my opinion.