Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Baby Shower Ideas Needed...

I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me. I was sort of nominated to be the ringleader of this circus...I mean babyshower... and I would love some ideas.

Because the mother was really really sick for the entire 9 months, she asked that we please do the shower after the baby is born. Then, by the time we were able to sync our calendars and come up with a date, another month had gone by. So, by my rough estimate, the baby is going to be about 8 weeks old.

Since he is already here, some of the games and gifts that are customary at a typical baby shower don't really apply, so I am hoping maybe a few of you have been to a "meet the baby shower" and have some ideas.

I also have to make invites, so if anyone has seen a cute saying/poem etc to invite to the shower, but also announce that he is already here, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas. I am not a leader by nature, and I don't typically enjoy being in charge of things....wish me luck!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

baby showers are not a big thing here in the UK but i did come across this which I liked. I may do this for my little girl

heres a link
http://never-without.blogspot.com/20...ower-part.html

http://www.lilsugar.com/April-Shower...051976?slide=4
Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was just going to suggest the Wishes for Baby idea. Helen has linked to it already.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had a "meet the baby" baby shower with my second because I was on bed rest at the end of my pregnancy and did not really feel up to a party. She was 2 weeks old and slept in a moses basket the entire time. We had an ice cream sundae party on a late Sunday afternoon... all sorts of different flavors of ice cream, every topping & sauce imaginable, homemade waffle cone bowls (made by a friend), etc. My mother did the party favors: adorable waffle-looking ceramic ice cream bowls filled with Hershey kisses and wrapped in tulle. The party was short and sweet. Just 2 hours for ice cream, socializing, opening presents, etc.

One baby shower game that I LOVE is the "guess what's in the diaper" game. Just microwave several mini-sized candy bars into a newborn diaper, wrap the diaper up (like you do when you're about to toss it) and put a number on the outside of the diaper. Then have everyone pass the diapers around and guess what kind of candy is melted inside and write it on a sheet of paper... it totally looks like baby poop and gets a lot of good laughs! The best bars to use are Milky Way, Snickers (chunky... LOL), Butterfinger, nestle crunch, rolos...

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL Brooke. That game is so GROSS! :P (But I admit...it gets laughs!)

Most baby showers around here are done post-baby. You can do word-scramble games, a relay race where each person has to do something mom/baby related while holding a baby doll (ie. fold baby socks, pack the diaper bag, etc etc), advice for the mom in a pretty book (or on 4x6 cards that you can put into an album), and just socialize. Check pinterest for themes and decorating ideas!!

Oh another messy one I just remembered from a friends shower...feeding the baby. In pairs, one is blindfolded and one sits in a chair (with a garbage bag bib, for the mess). The blindfolded one has to feed the other a pudding cup using a baby spoon. (*note...if you are getting fed, remove your glasses. PUdding isnt easy to clean off. LOL)

Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Most of the showers that I go to don't do games, which I am grateful for. Especially if the baby is there, I would just have some good food, drinks, and enjoy visiting with the new mom and baby. You might google "sip and see" and see what comes up. That's what I've heard it called when you have a shower type thing for the mom once the baby has arrived.