Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Talk to me about iPhones please

So I use Straight Talk, there's no chance I'm switching to another carrier, I've used it for years and it's quite awesome and all I need. I currently use a cheapo android smartphone. I've used iPod's for years, and I've been on my current(currently dead) iPod since 2012ish I think, it's a 32 gb 5th gen touch. I used and abused it for almost 4 years and I do love the iPod touch. I've been thinking of getting a better phone lately, and now with my iPod officially dead, I'm considering just getting an iPhone and knocking out two birds. I love my music and I have a bunch of apps I use daily, games and other stuffs. All that considered, I'm surprised my iPod lasted as long as it did.

So I've never even used an iPhone, but I'm assuming it's a lot like an iPod just a phone also? I'm not looking to get the latest and greatest, it's not necessary, but not sure if models of iPhones get outdated like iPods do... if they're too old you can't update certain apps and such, then they don't work right, or can't get the latest IOS or new levels on games yada yada.

So really looking for input on what model iPhones are good and what you like about them, and any info on how like iPods they are if you've got both. Maybe I'd be better off getting a newer one, I don't know. I just hate the prices!! Oh, and is the battery life really good on them?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The iPhone7 is coming out this fall... so that means that you will be able to get a used 6 and 5 even cheaper. I also think there is still a market for 4's, I still see a number of people using them. As long as you can update with the latest OS, you should be fine... I'm not sure what the the limits are on the 4... we upgrade every other year - hubby would do it early, if he could.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have an iPhone 6 and my hubs had a 5. The biggest differences I saw was the larger size of the 6 which I like, the camera is better and videos seems to run faster and look better. Then he got the newer 6 (SE I think it is) and the camera is better than the 6. I'm waiting for the 7 to come out soon as I hear there is another big leap in the camera specs.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd go for the newest iphone you can afford. That means it will be updatable and current longer.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have my daughter's old 5s (I used to have only a tracfone! ) I upgraded her to a 6s for her birthday last week so I got hers. It's exactly like an iPod except you can make phone calls I don't mind the smaller size of the 5s compared to the 6s - fits in my pocket better anyway. The 6s has a better camera but i don't use it for the camera for very often.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the info/suggestions. I'll admit, I really want an iPhone now, especially after looking up a bunch of info on the different models. I'm still hating the price though. Some of these phones cost what I bought my first first car for!! Dh wants me to get the latest, but I'm cheap lol. Those prices make me want to just go get another iPod like the one I just killed. Things to think about, I guess! I do think I may wait until the 7 comes out and see what kind of price drop I can find on the 6's. And then I also have to find one compatible with my straight talk.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got the iPhone 6s when it came out because I wanted a better camera than what I had on my iPhone 5. I LOVE it!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have an iPhone 6 and I got it against my wishes. Prior to using my iPhone, I was using a Windows phone which had a 40+ mp camera. I loved my phone, however the apps weren't readily available to me with my Windows phone. So when hubby came home from overseas this year, we traded in both of our Windows phones and got an iPhone. I went down in camera specs, down to an 8mp, but it has a flash and takes WAY better photos than our previous iPhones/iPods. In fact, my dad started taking to my phone's camera when we were out and about because of the quality of the photos!

And yes, the iPhone does work the same way that your iPod works. My children all have iPods and have no problems using my iPhone for games, making calls, etc.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We just got SE (hubby) and 6SE (me) and we love them. Apple store did tell us that the 6SE would go down about $100 - $150 when the 7 comes out. We got the largest memory 64mb so we had to pay a little more but not bad. We figured this would be our Christmas present plus anniversary present (3 days after Christmas).
Old 09-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use an iPhone 4.... I can still use all the basic apps most use with it... facebook, instagram, twitter, etc. There are a LOT of things I cannot use because I can no longer update my software -- I can't get Snapchat (with that said my husband has an iPhone 4s and he actually has the newest IOS and can get pretty much anything to work on it still. I'm not away from home often, so I don't really need anything special. My kids have iPhone 5's. They can still be upgraded to the newest IOS so they can get all the apps available. Because there are 6's and 7's, the 5's are a great place to start, as you can pick them up pretty cheap (we got all of ours 2nd hand), and it will be a great way to introduce you to the phones. You should be fine with one as you already know about ipod's and you are right, they pretty much are the same, just with the phone ability.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had decided to just pick up another iPod and wait on the iPhone so I could be sure I can get one I want that will work with straight talk. I was planning to grab one this week, but last weekend dh surprised me with an iPad mini instead. I didn't even consider one, but I'm sooo loving it!! My iPod was a 32 gb and this iPad is 64, so it's nice I won't have to pick and choose from what music I want on here I'm a little sad it doesn't fit in my pocket, but with my pc not currently connecting to Internet, this is nice to have. I've been using dh's laptop to dl, ul, and post my los, but I hate doing anything on it I don't have to.

So I'm going to keep the iPhone in mind for maybe next year.