Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Hulu vs. Netflix

When we were in the process of moving( staying with fam and being in separate states) we basically quit watching all of our shows. So we have tons to catch up on in addition to past seasons of shows I never finished and shows in later seasons that I want to start watching from the beginning. We've had Netflix in the past and I really hated it all the time - the same old movies I've seen a hundred times and junk I just wouldn't watch lol. I didn't love it. Now we're thinking of getting it again, but considering Hulu plus instead. If you've had either or both can I get some opinions? What you liked about either, if one service has more of something particular. Any opinions really
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have both on our apple TV...Netflix has added a lot of newer shows and has signed a contract with Disney so a lot of the lesser known Disney movies have been added with more to come so they say.

Hulu Plus to me is good for catching missed episodes..it's library for entire series isn't as big as Netflix but unlike Netflix they add episodes soon after they air. For us also Hulu doesn't stream as smoothly as Netflix but that may be our internet speed. They also seem to have a lot of movies and shows that I've never heard or and have no interest in watching.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nikki, do you know how long Hulu keeps current seasons/episodes available? Like for shows that are half way through a season right now, would I likely be able to start at episode 1? Or do they take off older ones as newer are added? I've only used the free Hulu a couple times when I got behind before.

I know there are going to probably be shows I can't find on either, but Ijust want the most for our money. lol, like, I tried not to watch any shows I'd get sucked into and not have cable to finish, but I spent a few weeks at my mom's house and she got me hooked on Chicago Fire... I'd like to finish that, and actually start over at the beginning. Not sure if something like that is available on either right now.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

They do only keep newer episodes available..but it depends on the show. Sometimes you can watch an entire series but then things that are airing now they only keep the past 6-7 episodes. For example we switched satellite providers mid season and lost what we had recorded of Revolution before we had a chance to watch it. On hulu we were only able to start at like episode 6 so we had to purchase the first few on itunes.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I prefer Netflix. They have added a lot of shows. But check your shows stations online...they have the latest episodes usually the day after they are shown on tv. Also just an FYI Redbox is starting instant streaming of movies soon and that comes with 4 rentals a month for 8 dollars. We will most likely be getting that when I get the invite. You have one month free with that as well to decide if you like it.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had this debate in my house. I ended up going with Netflix. We pay the 8$ a month for streaming. I love being able to use it on our iPads, the apple TV, the computer, etc. They don't put up new stuff till its been out 30 days but I've been so behind moving and stuff that its okay with me. I also love that they usually have all the older seasons too. The kids love the movies and cartoons so its a win for all in my house.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We dropped cable entirely, bought a Roku box, and now we use both Netflix and Hulu+. Netflix lets me watch series from the beginning. Hulu+ lets me keep up with what is on now. Netflix has definitely been adding shows too.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately they're good for different things and I don't think you can do everything you want to with just one subscription. Netflix has a ton of shows that I want to watch (and lots for the kids), but of course they don't have the current season of anything. There haven't been any shows I've looked up for myself that Netflix doesn't have, but there are a lot my kids like that aren't available at all, especially Disney channel shows.

Hulu+ varies by show. You have to go to the site and look up the shows you're interested in. There are some shows that they have the entire series available and others where it's the current season only. I think that even with a Hulu+ subscription, Hulu is more for keeping current with shows than starting from the beginning.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have both. I prefer Netflix, but use Hulu+ like a DVR (since we don't have one) to keep up with my currently running shows.

I looked into the new Redbox service Jessica mentioned, but so far, the new service won't stream on the Wii and other devices like that, so I'm going to wait until they get that straightened out before subscribing to that, too.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
We dropped cable entirely, bought a Roku box, and now we use both Netflix and Hulu+. Netflix lets me watch series from the beginning. Hulu+ lets me keep up with what is on now. Netflix has definitely been adding shows too.
We cut of the TV 5 yrs ago! For first two years, we didn't have anything. Then, I added Netflix and just last year, when I bought Roku, I added Hulu+. I never watch anything on Hulu, but kids are always on it. They like to watch the current shows on it. For movies and entire series of shows, Netflix is better choice and for current shows, Hulu+ is the way to go.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I have both. Hulu- I use it to keep up with current shows. I can watch newly aired episodes the next day from my iPhone, iPad or Blu Ray player. The length of time the shows are available depends on the TV network- Hulu has different licensing with each; that's why some shows stay on longer.

Netflix is in the process of getting a deal with Disney to get exclusive, more recent content. Netflix has a lot of the older shows/movies which is good since you get to see the entire series like the other ladies mentioned. I like having both....for me, one is not better than the other just because the content offerings are so different.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My mom just asked me the same question last night - they just got an apple tv box.

We have roku an both netflix and hulu... so it depends on what you like to watch. The things that annoys me to no end is that not everything on hulu is on huluplus... so purchased Playon...downside is that you need a computer that you can put the package on... our computer in the basement is just barely adequate.

I go in spurts at which one i watch more... hulu is for current season shows... and then I switch to netflix for movies and documentaries...
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have Netflix and love it. We got rid of tv a few years ago and so the only tv we pay for is from Netflix. It is great that we can stream it on so many devices. I didn't realize that Hulu + would have the more current episodes though. We may have to look into that as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Before we got directv this year, we had both. I wanted to be able to watch the current episodes, which you need hulu for. But, hulu doesn't have the selection that netflix does, and they don't keep all the episodes. The 2 combined worked okay for us.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have an RCA streaming device and Hulu Plus does not play nicely with it at all. It skips and acts horrible. I had a free one month trial so thankfully I realized this before I paid for it. I want a Roku but that will probably come later. We'll see... DH doesn't want to give up Dish Network because he watches so many shows that aren't available on Netflix or Hulu or any other streaming service we've found yet.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I must ask... does Hulu Plus have commericals???
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmomma View Post
Oh I must ask... does Hulu Plus have commericals???
Yes

Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think that the Netflix/Disney deal does not have any real effect until 2016 since Disney is locked into licensing with Starz through 2015. At least that's what I read somewhere.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I think that the Netflix/Disney deal does not have any real effect until 2016 since Disney is locked into licensing with Starz through 2015. At least that's what I read somewhere.
There are already some Disney movies showing up on Netflix and there are definitely Disney shows.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Roku and we stream Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon's Prime Instant Video and with these we find plenty to watch when we have down time. I am waiting to see what Redbox will look like when it is out.....
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have both but use Netflix more. Just got a Roku and love it, basically it's cable for me (even tho i do have cable) i'm waiting for Redbox instant too and see what's up with that

Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
There are already some Disney movies showing up on Netflix and there are definitely Disney shows.
Yes, I think you are right. It all has to do with newer vs. older movies. Here was part of article I read:

Why 2016?

Currently, Disney is locked into a deal with Starz that ends in 2015. Netflix outbid Starz for future rights to the titles, so it begins when the current deal expires. In February, Netflix’s streaming contract with Starz ended and many favorites, including some Disney flicks, left the service after four years together.

Netflix normally gets their titles from the major Hollywood studios, but not until long after the movies and shows have been made available to cable network providers – typically after DVD/Bluay releases have slowed down. This new deal means newer releases will be available soon after the films are released on DVD.

What about right now?

While you may have to wait a couple of years to get major titles faster, Disney and Netflix reached a separate deal to bring some older films to the streaming service immediately. Look for classics like Alice in Wonderland and Pocahontas. Direct-to-video movies will be available on Netflix starting next year.

The exclusive rights deal is great for Netflix users, but not so great for other pay-TV channel subscribers. This now makes Netflix a direct competitor to traditional channels like HBO, Showtime, and Starz. It’s also bad news for Amazon Prime and Comcast users, who may have to pay an extra $8 a month on top of their cable provider bill to access the Disney collection.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

How many devices can you stream netflix to at the same time? We have teenagers that all want to watch something different?

Stephanie
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
DH doesn't want to give up Dish Network because he watches so many shows that aren't available on Netflix or Hulu or any other streaming service we've found yet.
We're in the same boat, but for us it's DH's sports. He subscribes to a few sports packages through Direct TV that he couldn't get any other way. We have Netflix, but I let Hulu Plus go when we subscribed to Netflix.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec777 View Post
How many devices can you stream netflix to at the same time? We have teenagers that all want to watch something different?

Stephanie
I don't think there is a limit but I could be wrong. I would think the only issue may be would your internet be able to handle more than one streaming device at the same time but if you were using your cellular carrier and internet carrier it may not be an issue.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec777 View Post

Stephanie
You can only stream on two devices simultaneously. I believe if you try to stream from more than two you'll get an error message.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The most that Netflix will let us stream is 3 devices at once from one account. I'd pay extra to let it stream to more devices at once.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks somuch girls, for all the info and opinions!! Lol, I've been passing all this on to dh, and we decided on Netflix. It wouldn't be too bad to go with both either, but since I'm so far behind on all the shows I watch, I don't even know if Hulu would go back far enough to catch me up. So I'm going to just be looking for reruns, marathons, and checking out the network's sites so see what Ican catch up on... Might even buy some episodes to the ones I can't catch up on!! lol, I'm addicted and I so miss my shows... We spent our new years night last night watching a Walking Dead marathon - all 8 shows of the season so far(OMG, so freaking awesome!). Kinda had to, since our cable messed up and didn't send us dvr boxes so until we get that sorted, can't record lol.