Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
LOL Can you handle one more laundry(soap) thread??

I've been thinking of making my own laundry soap lately. I've heard it's waaay cheaper, and is easy to do. I'll admit, I do love tide, and so does my dh. But, if I could find one that's tried and true, I'd be willing to make it and give it a go.

I've found lots of slight variations of recipes online, and I wanted to ask if any of you make your own and what recipe do you follow, since I know there's a lot of do it yourselfers here

I'm just worried I'll pick the wrong one, and it won't work, or I'll fail horribly at doing it and it'll come out wrong
Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to make my own powdered but I found that it just wasn't good in my stupid washing machine. I have an HE front loader and unless you only wash in hot water, which I don't, it didn't rinse/dissolve well. ( I hate my washing machine ) I really need to use a liquid detergent and I'm too lazy to make that one
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I tried to make my own, but could never find one of the ingredients needed to make it myself. So, I buy homemade stuff off of Etsy.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have Borax & Washing Soda and I was just using that as a liquid and then adding Dawn (because the Dawn would separate in the bottle!). This last week I tried making my own hand soap out of a bar of soap and so I tried making a Borax + Washing Soda + Dawn + Bar Soap mix. I like how it turned out!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't want to make liquid either :P Keely, I have a top loader - but I wash in cold usually... So it probably wouldn't be good with cold water, even in a top loader, huh?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I use cold water in a top loader and it works for me.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by webseitler View Post
I have Borax & Washing Soda and I was just using that as a liquid and then adding Dawn (because the Dawn would separate in the bottle!). This last week I tried making my own hand soap out of a bar of soap and so I tried making a Borax + Washing Soda + Dawn + Bar Soap mix. I like how it turned out!
Never thought of doing soap!! I love my dove though, not sure I could give that one up

Mari, it's powder?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use this recipe:
http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.b...-soap.html?m=1

My first batch lasted me almost a year. I think it's fun to make, and super cheap. However, we never used expensive detergent to start--always just the cheapest. So it definitely works for us. I think the ingredients cost me around $16 so it doesn't hurt to try.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
I wouldn't want to make liquid either :P Keely, I have a top loader - but I wash in cold usually... So it probably wouldn't be good with cold water, even in a top loader, huh?
I use powedered in a top loader in cold all the time. I just put it in first, let the washer fill, let it sit for a bit, and then put in my clothes. I don't have a problem with it at all.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the link Sarah!! -And for the feedback Darcy - I think I am going to give it a try It's for sure cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, I'm not out too much. I would looooove to cut out the price of tide with all the laundry we do
Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I make my own with washing soda, Borax and Fels Naptha soap. One cup each of the powder to one bar of soap. I cut the bar up and put everything in my Ninja. It is awesome stuff! I pay about $12 for enough detergent for 9 months. It smells nice, works well and no one in my family of sensitive skinned people have issues with it.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8914 View Post
I use this recipe:
http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.b...-soap.html?m=1

My first batch lasted me almost a year. I think it's fun to make, and super cheap. However, we never used expensive detergent to start--always just the cheapest. So it definitely works for us. I think the ingredients cost me around $16 so it doesn't hurt to try.
That is similar to mine. I don't put OXY in it because I don't like to mix OXY and bleach and I don't want to have to have a separate detergent for those times I want to use bleach. I was told baking soda would leave a residue so I only use the washing soda. Also, my concentration of Fels Naptha to the powdered ingredients is greater.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I use the same recipe but i add a big bottle of crystals and a bottle of unstoppables. I have to smell my detergent.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use soap nuts (http://www.buysoapnuts.com/). I make a liquid out of them, and it lasts a LONG time! I bet I've spent $40 on laundry soap in the last two years, total. And I still have enough left for at least another year! You boil 12-15 "nuts" (I think they're actually berries?) in 6 cups of water and use about 4 Tbsp in a load of wash, so ya...whatever that math is, it lasts forever. No smell in the laundry (except when they're boiling...that stinks for some reason!!) and my clothes are clean.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
Never thought of doing soap!! I love my dove though, not sure I could give that one up

Mari, it's powder?
Yep, powder.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23m View Post
I use soap nuts (http://www.buysoapnuts.com/). I make a liquid out of them, and it lasts a LONG time! I bet I've spent $40 on laundry soap in the last two years, total. And I still have enough left for at least another year! You boil 12-15 "nuts" (I think they're actually berries?) in 6 cups of water and use about 4 Tbsp in a load of wash, so ya...whatever that math is, it lasts forever. No smell in the laundry (except when they're boiling...that stinks for some reason!!) and my clothes are clean.
I always forget to order them and end up grabbing the powder mix instead....use it for months that it lasts meaning to order more berries, and then forget again!