Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-09-2015, 10:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Easter Baskets, what do you put in them?

What do you put in your kids baskets?

I use to do a lot of little crappy things that didn't last the week, now I'm trying to do something that the kids will actually use. I usually do a DVD, Candy, I'm doing a book for them this year and I got Keira and Cooper nerf type bow and arrows and I got Harper a Mr. Potato Head.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been trying to figure out the same thing... little holiday toys never last, or dumb things from the dollar store either break or just end up all over the house. My boys have out grown a lot of things in the past year too so I'm kinda being forced to come up with new ideas rather than just switch things up for a change. I'm trying to stay away from Video games as that's all they ever get, BUT I will probably get a few Skylanders, books were something I was thinking also, I'm thinking small lego packs, or minecraft figures, they are always in need of new headphones, sun glasses, I ordered each of them a new tshirt.... and there's always the usual spring stuff... bubbles, new skateboard gear or water guns.......other than that my kids are more interested in the candy and treats.... this is one of 3 times a year we go crazy with that stuff so I don't really mind that it seems to be all about the "candy". What I keep trying to find more ideas on is what to put in the eggs.... Those I would like to be more than just candy.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've done skylanders before too, we'll be out of town this year or I'd probably do those again.

We put coins in our eggs. I throw a few dollar bills in too, but mostly pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I've been trying to figure out the same thing... little holiday toys never last, or dumb things from the dollar store either break or just end up all over the house. My boys have out grown a lot of things in the past year too so I'm kinda being forced to come up with new ideas rather than just switch things up for a change. I'm trying to stay away from Video games as that's all they ever get, BUT I will probably get a few Skylanders, books were something I was thinking also, I'm thinking small lego packs, or minecraft figures, they are always in need of new headphones, sun glasses, I ordered each of them a new tshirt.... and there's always the usual spring stuff... bubbles, new skateboard gear or water guns.......other than that my kids are more interested in the candy and treats.... this is one of 3 times a year we go crazy with that stuff so I don't really mind that it seems to be all about the "candy". What I keep trying to find more ideas on is what to put in the eggs.... Those I would like to be more than just candy.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually do swimsuits and goggles...candy...eggs with money/candy...and then a few little toys that I might find....but always swimsuits and goggles.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yea, my sister in law does money and I thought maybe since they are older they'd like that. having $1 and $2 coins adds more variety, but will add up quick, especially since Pennies are no longer in use.

What about travel games since you will be away? My kids love getting new card games that are based on board games, and the year I got them travel scrabble and connect 4 was a huge hit....and now that I think about it I think that was a part of Easter.... That's something else I've done too, baskets themed on family game night or family movie night. Oh and I forgot that's usually when they get their new water bottle too.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This year it's full of pokemon stuff. Pokémon cards and Pokémon figures. Plus I'll add some candy. I like to splurge on Easter candy and go to a full fledged chocolate shop to get a few special goodies rather than a bunch of the cheapy stuff.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I really TRY to keep the Easter baskets simple. I usually do a small toy, shirt or sundress, book, outdoor stuff (like chalk, jumpropes, bubbles, etc.) and our favorite candy like jellybeans, peeps, malted milk eggs, chocolate bunny, Cadbury eggs, etc. This year I'm changing things around. No chocolate bunny, no jelly beans, no clothes, no toy. I think I might fill it with something 'nature' themed this year... like seeds to plant, a terra cotta pot to paint, and a book for identifying birds. Maybe some simple binoculars and a notebook & pen to use as a nature journal? We will see. If I run out of time I might revert back to my usual stuff I grab at Target. : P

Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm trying to switch more to the outdoor stuff I think.

I don't do very much candy, always a chocolate bunny, and make a couple other small things.

Love all the ideas!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually do a scavenger hunt for my son with money in eggs, a gift card to Starbucks, a DVD, action figures...I try to keep it simple. No candy since my little guy doesn't eat it.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheyanne gets a DVD, a Dunkin Donuts gift card, and a spring outfit (either capris and a top, skirt/top, or casual spring dress for school). This year it will probably include new batting gloves for softball too. No candy because she never eats it.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i usually do a little candy (always chocolate), a spring outfit, maybe a little lego friends set, and then i'll think about things they actually need and would probably buy anyway - haha - new markers, craft supplies, sidewalk chalk, new goggles, etc. ... this year both girls need new flip flops, so that will be one of their items.

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cadbury eggs, some other candy, money (the candies and money in eggs). I don't buy big stuff or toys for Easter. I would like to do an outfit, but who knows, that can get pricey with 5 kiddos. (We usually do garage sales or thrift shops for clothes, so a new outfit is a treat)
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and last year we did an evening glowing egg hunt. I found the idea on Pinterest I think. You get those glow bracelets from the dollar store and put one of the bracelets into each egg before closing it so the eggs glow. The kids thought that was super cool.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
Oh, and last year we did an evening glowing egg hunt. I found the idea on Pinterest I think. You get those glow bracelets from the dollar store and put one of the bracelets into each egg before closing it so the eggs glow. The kids thought that was super cool.
This is the one time of year I really wish I had grass!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
Oooooh...I love this idea! I might see if my friends will be up for it!

Old 03-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use to do crappy little things but they get annoying around the house and break too fast. This year I bought them some shirts that were way more expensive than I normally would buy, but are awesome and they'll love them. I also bought the boys some pokemon tins and had something planned for gemma but can't find it anymore, so I"ll have to find something else. I'll add some candy in eggs too.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

WE do not do a lot. We do a chocolate bunny and a stuffed animal and jelly beans and stuff. Outdoor things usually...bubbles, chalk, etc. Sometimes a small toy around 10 or 15 dollars.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do a basket that can be re-used like a $tree bin I dress up with their initals in vinyl or a draw string bag, backpack, duffel bag to use for camp, re-usable shopping bag, etc.

Now that my girls are older (12 and 16) we do the egg hunt and I hide some kind of chocolate candy like Hershey kisses and money in the eggs. They still look forward to looking for plastic eggs on Easter morning! Then in their "baskets" I try to do a new beach towel for the summer, sunscreen or goggles, some kind of gift card and a bag or box of their favorite candy. I do order chocolate bunnies through our middle school orchestra program as it supports the orchestra as a fund raiser.

When my girls were younger I did outside play things like chalk, bubbles, pool toys/noodles, and lots of different candy. I realize now they would each be happy with a 6 pack of Reese's egg and a Starbucks gift card (or gas card for the 16 yo).
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This year will probably be books, Pokemon cards, candy, I already picked up Big Hero 6, and maybe a couple small toys (small lego sets or disney infinity characters...something of that sort).

Gallery
Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Over the years I've done it all. We usually skip the cheap holiday themed toys and go with something nice that will last. However, this year we are working hard to completely downsize and purge around here so I don't WANT to get them anything. I am thinking we may just do candy and possibly a PS3 or Wii game.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually do a small toy (like a $5 My Little Pony or a set of Hot Wheels cars, etc.), candy, and something fun like bubbles or sidewalk chalk.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kid is all about the egg hunt... he already dug out the plastic eggs so that he can "practice" for the big event.. but we still have snow, so he has been doing it inside - I'm finding eggs everywhere! haha

For the basket - we don't do much... he gets money in his eggs from Grammy (she hides them for ALL of us...), I put little "coupons" for outings and ice cream, etc in ours with a little candy... In the basket, he will get one bigger thing - probably a craft item like perel beads or something... and then bubbles and a brain game... his birthday is only a few weeks before, so he doesn't get too much at Easter.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We did the glow in the dark egg hunt with our neighborhood a few years ago and we had a blast! Each family brought so many glow eggs per kid, and then the dads hid them while moms and kiddos did games and dyed eggs at one of the houses. Seriously SO FUN! The kids could only get a certain amount of eggs too so that everyone got the same. If the 'big' kids found theirs quickly, they had to help their smaller siblings. It was seriously SO FUN!

You guys have some great ideas! Love the swimsuits and goggles. That would've been perfect for last year with our complex pool. Now we are poolless. I like the seeds and earthy stuff too! Let's see how creative I can get while being 9 months pregnant... haha!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Well I tend to go overboard, but not really on toys. Some years I've done a theme basket for each of them. Like a basket with a stuffed owl and books about owls for my one little guy. This year I'm ordering a religious book for each of them and doing a bunch of lindt lambs, chicks, etc. I'm ordering books from magnificat.com. we've never fine a hunt and I really really want to, but usually it's still freezing here in minnesta at that time .

Mary in MN (organizedmom)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I really do mixed things, depending on what the kids are into. Mine are older, so I don't buy cheap toys any more. I might do a DVD, a game for their DS, gift cards, iTunes cards are a huge hit. This Easter we'll be in Disney, so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do this year!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I do all k inds of t hings LOL! coloring books, new crayons/markers, bubbles, tootsie roll container (tradition), movie or game, new spring outfit or bathing suit, I have put crocs in them before, slim jims, beef jerky, Skylander or Infinty character, some sunglasses, new toothbrush (my kids LOVE new toothbrushes LOL), legos, nail polish, hair accessories, nerf football, card games, small goldfish containers, etc etc....I fill them like I fill christmas stockings LOL!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nick is getting some Skylanders trap team stuff he's been dying to get, the two Diary of a Wimpy Kid books he doesn't yet have and Big Hero 6 plus some candy, a small stuffed bunny and a new towel for his bathroom. We are traveling that weekend. Hopefully I don't forget the stuff at home. lol

Last edited by lovely1m; 03-12-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love filling baskets! I only put in a little candy and the rest varies. My kids are older but I like to put in things that are both fun and practical. I try not to put in throw away items. Redbox codes, make-up, nail polish, t-shirts, flip flops, cool pens, they might get a small gift card for treats ( Starbucks, DQ, Sonic ). It's really just odds and ends and I don't spend a ton per basket. I pick things up here and there.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So many great ideas! I have to wait until the stuff I ordered gets here and fill the baskets to see how much space I have left! I always overfill, just like with stockings!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love the idea of a Spring outfit or Swimsuit/goggles for my youngest.
My oldest would love makeup and nails.
I need a basket too!