Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Need some answers...

I have an external hard drive. Should I keep it plugged in to my computer, or should I just plug it in when I need it? Also, can I move things around within my EHD? For example: I may have a kit that consists of several folders,...alphas, embellishments, papers, etc. I would rather have the whole kit in one folder. Can I combine the folders into one?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I leave mine plugged into because it's set to automatically back up once a day, but I think that's really a personal decision.

Combining folders into one shouldn't cause any problems. Treat it like it's your normal hard drive on your computer.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think the plugging in depends on how often you plan to use it. I operate on the theory that the less it's plugged in, the less wear and tear on it, so I've done different things.

-Right now my EHD is just for backup, so I plug it in once a week to supplement daily online backups.
-At one point I had an EHD that was my main scrapping drive and my online backup service backed it up, so I had it plugged in all the time.
-When I used an EHD as a secondary scrapping drive (ie, newest and favorite kits on the computer's HD, everything else on the EHD) I plugged it in as needed, about 2-3 times a week. I wasn't backing the EHD up to an online service then.

And yes, you can move things around exactly as you would on your computer's HD.

Last edited by rach3975; 11-11-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had an EHD fail after 2 weeks and was told by the manufacturer to only keep it plugged in when in use, to reduce the exposure to failure. I make transfers once a month and transfer to both a DVD and the EHD. ... and like the other ladies said, you can move folders around on your EHD just like you would on your computer. HTH!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Ok, thanks for answering my questions. I was worried more about moving stuff around, but I feel better about it now. I will probably try burning contents to a disc. That sounds good to me.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I only plug mine in when I'm using it. I figure less wear and tear that way.