Sweet Shoppe Designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2021, 11:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default How long do you save your layout PSD files?

Sooo...how long do you save the layered files for your layouts? Forever? Ditch them after a while?

I've always saved mine and still do. But, I have never gone back and opened up an old layout for anything. Except for something that may have been recently made and I saw a mistake or something I wanted to change before posting it. But, a year ago? 10 years ago? Nope!

I am currently, newly backing up to Backblaze my computer and EHD files. I'm down to something like 1,033 files to go and it seems to be all big files. Including psd files. And those take a lot longer to back up than smaller files. Which is fine. But it got me to thinking...

Here's my story:
My previous EHD is away in Ohio right now with a company (hopefully) pulling all of my files off of it. About 4 years worth of pictures that, unfortunately, were no longer being backed up by Carbonite. Reason being...we moved a couple of years ago. When getting the house ready and presentable to sell, I tucked my EHD away and it wasn't plugged into the laptop. Then we moved and it stayed tucked away for about a year. I wasn't scrapping during this time so I didn't think about it. Then, last February, I plugged it in and it was fine for a bit until it dropped. Then the computer wouldn't recognize it. I contacted Carbonite and turns out they didn't have the files because the EHD had been unplugged for soooo long that they didn't keep the files. Then, when I plugged it back in, they started to grab all those files again but only had some before it dropped.

Several online data recovery companies couldn't get to the files and a local computer repair shop couldn't get them. So, I've "ignored" the situation for a long time. When Lea posted about her EHD, I decided to do something about it. Even though I have Carbonite service, I signed up with Backblaze and plan to end service with Carbonite when Backblaze is finished grabbing my files. I'm not blaming Carbonite, just saw a lot of recommendations for Backblaze. And, I contacted a company that was recommended on Lea's thread and they seemed hopeful. Sent them the EHD and, after looking at it, they seemed confident that they could get my files. At least I won't have to pay (my arm & leg, and my husband's, too!) until they do retrieve them.

If I didn't have on that EHD all of my old layered layout files, I think the total space would have been significantly lower and not have bumped me into the next, higher payment level. And, maybe more importantly, I'd have more room on whatever computer or EHD I'm using without keeping all of them.

I'm talking myself into ditching old psd files. Of my layouts, not of templates or such. Maybe anything older than a year? And filter them out periodically?

Thoughts?