Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default A little worried ...

They keep telling us about the changes that are gonna come to SSD come 2012, but quite honestly, I've liked SSD so far, because it IS the way it is. And I'm a little worried that I might not like the changes that are coming.

For example, I really liked the old blogging style a lot more, before the 365 days of bliss. Back then, I regularly checked the blog and I knew the categories for each day by heart. Now, I rarely take the time to read the posts, even though it's a lot more personal than it used to be.

(And I really really like how we can earn points toward sweet rewards here at SSD.)

Am I the odd one out who's worried about the coming changes? Will there be consolation for my little heart, with the assurance that things aren't going to change altogether?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm always a little worried when I start hearing about changes coming to my favorite sites...

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

I totally agree with you, Sula! I liked the old blog much more!

I miss Treat of the Month, I miss Friday Bonus Challenges, I miss "scrapper of the week" who could earn us another bonus point.

What I would welcome is:
- reward points (many other stores have them)
- return of Simply Sweet Magazine

Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Change is always hard, but I'm looking forward to some new stuff. I'm sure whatever Robin and team have planned, it will be great! I also miss the SS magazine and even offered to help to keep it going!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Don't worry, ladies... there are amazing things in the works... Robin and the designers have such awesome ideas - so many exciting things coming!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Change always makes me nervous, but I'm not that worried this time. As long as the forum and Portfolio stay the same, I'll adjust to whatever changes. I was wondering if it might be a site design. I think SSD has had the same design for a few years now.

ETA: Yes, I have to admit that I liked the old blog style better. I think of the forum as the social side of SSD, and I'd rather have the blog be more scrap-focused.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I don't remember the old blog..how was it different?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I miss the old blog too. I'm really hoping that it returns, in some form or function. I love the portfolio as it stands and hope that there aren't many changes coming to it.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I do hope that there are new graphics for the site-my eyes long for something new! As for the blog I rarely check it-I much prefer the Forums for news.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am typically scared of change also BUT Robin and the crew here have NEVER disappointed me. Seriously. They do this fun stuff for US. I am looking forward to it.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would love some changes to re-introduce some "average-scrapper" related features. With the new blog we saw Treat of the Month gone, Friday Featured Scrapper gone, and last year, for some reason, Portfolio of the Month was given up, too. It seems to me it has become "all about the Babes" thing and IMHO it would be nice if "normal scrappers" could get some limelight, too. I know there's LOTW, but I liked the old system more. And the bonus points we could get were really cool, too. The new blog is nice, but very often is totally scrap-unrelated and I can't imagine this style going on successfully for years.

So yes, I'm a bit "worried" as well, in case the new changes go the same way the new blog started a year ago.

Last edited by adrianka; 12-04-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Hey girls,

Im not going to say much except to say that I am more excited about what we have going on behind the scenes right now than I have been in a long time.

Lots of new features and a lot of heart is going into this. So I hope you can be patient, positive and encouraging toward our staff who are working really hard to make SSD the sweetest it can possibly be.

We've always approached our site and business as a work in progress and we like to change things up when things start to feel a bit stale.

Like I said, I'm more excited about what's coming on New Year's Day than I have been in years, so stay tuned!

Robin
Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow. I have never viewed SSD as a designer/babe promoted site. They are all very encouraging to us either here in the forum or comments on our pages. I am amazed that is a perception to some. I don't think that is their intent at all. It makes me sad that is what some see.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you, Robin! I appreciate all your hard work you for us.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
Wow. I have never viewed SSD as a designer/babe promoted site. They are all very encouraging to us either here in the forum or comments on our pages. I am amazed that is a perception to some. I don't think that is their intent at all. It makes me sad that is what some see.
Of course they are encouraging. No doubt about that. This is a wonderful place. I may not like that lots of possibilities for the "average scrapper" to shine were taken away, but I still love SSD to pieces. However, that doesn't mean I have to love everything, even though I understand that all changes introduced to the blog were made with the best intentions. I just said my opinion. There is no need to feel sad about it.

I can't wait what the changes are, BTW, I agree that it's nice to pepper up things from time to time. Life is about change. :-) I do have the right not to like them when they arrive though. Still I hope that won't be the case. So far the only thing here I wasn't that much excited about was the blog change, and that is not a major issue anyway.

Last edited by adrianka; 12-04-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

And yeah, our blog isn't meant to put our staffers in the spotlight - it's meant to inspire you to record and document the little things in your life by sharing the little things in ours that we love. We have amazing layouts and inspiration allllll over the site, marketing is everywhere and rather than using our blog to market, advertise and promote constantly, we felt it would be neat to try and use it to inspire you guys about the things that are really meaningful in life - the heart of what scrapbooking is really all about.

That said, there are some changes coming which will address your concerns Adrianka, but I just wanted to share our thoughts on the current blog format with you guys.

R
Old 12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Whoo-Hoo!! I can't wait to see what awesome things Robin and crew have in store for us in the coming year. I'm excited!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OH MAN! Good thing I don't have a social life so I can stalk SSD on New Years Day!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

robin rocks.
i personally can't wait to see the changes. ssd is the best place around imo and any changes made have always been for the better of the site!!

Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
OH MAN! Good thing I don't have a social life so I can stalk SSD on New Years Day!
I will be right there with you!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am actually excited about the changes even though I hope the portfolio stays basically the same, other than that I am kinda excited to see what is coming!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Without given anything away at all...the portfolio is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I, where are we now, fourth, that the portfolio is awesome. I love that you have all month to do the challenges. As for other changes, I will take them in stride, like everything else.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Without given anything away at all...the portfolio is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Tease! :-)

Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm kind of hoping that the site design doesn't change. I know I haven't been around here as long as a lot of folks, but one of the things that I've liked is the "classiness" of the site graphics. Having said that, if it does change I'm sure it'll be great. That goes for any changes; they may take some getting used to, but I'm sure they'll be good.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
Tease! :-)
Yes, and I don't expect that to change one bit!!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
Yes, and I don't expect that to change one bit!!
Hehe. Neither do I. The teasing bit is so fun. Makes for a nice tension before any expected news. :-)

Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't worry, the changes are always good. January will be my 5th year being a regular on the forums and its always been great.

Now, I'll admit there are some things I like better than others every year, but the site and people are always awesome.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I cannot wait!!!! SSD has never disappointed! Come on, New Years Day!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
And yeah, our blog isn't meant to put our staffers in the spotlight - it's meant to inspire you to record and document the little things in your life by sharing the little things in ours that we love. We have amazing layouts and inspiration allllll over the site, marketing is everywhere and rather than using our blog to market, advertise and promote constantly, we felt it would be neat to try and use it to inspire you guys about the things that are really meaningful in life - the heart of what scrapbooking is really all about.

That said, there are some changes coming which will address your concerns Adrianka, but I just wanted to share our thoughts on the current blog format with you guys.

R
Oh, thanks, Robin, for entering this discussion. Just to be clear - I truly love this place, and I kinda even like the blog the way it is now (unpredictability isn't always a bad thing), I just miss some specific old features. My comment on "babeelated" wasn't in any way implying that anybody does any advertising here - it's just that with TOTM, we could get inspired by someone who wasn't always babe, and I loved that. It kind of widens the horizons, if you know what I mean. I also loved the interviews in the Friday Featured Scrapper (and the bonus points, too, but not only them). That was all I was trying to say. :-)

I'm very curious about the changes now. It will be like a little post-Christmas present. ;-)

Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

new year's day... note to self- don't drive back here from home that day. i was gonna, but i think i'll have to wait now.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am fine with any change as long as the portfolio style of challenges doesn't change cause I freakin love that! I do have to admit, I very much miss the TOTM and the posts from the blog that featured the average scrapper around this place.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
Oh, thanks, Robin, for entering this discussion. Just to be clear - I truly love this place, and I kinda even like the blog the way it is now (unpredictability isn't always a bad thing), I just miss some specific old features. My comment on "babeelated" wasn't in any way implying that anybody does any advertising here - it's just that with TOTM, we could get inspired by someone who wasn't always babe, and I loved that. It kind of widens the horizons, if you know what I mean. I also loved the interviews in the Friday Featured Scrapper (and the bonus points, too, but not only them). That was all I was trying to say. :-)

I'm very curious about the changes now. It will be like a little post-Christmas present. ;-)
Hopefully this is ok for me to say, but the reason we stopped doing TOTM was not because we wanted to feature the Babes more. It was because the digi world evolved in a way that no longer jived with that feature - specifically being able to find amazing scrapbookers with a unique style who had enough original (as in non-template) layouts for all of the Babes to lift.

In 2007 when the feature started it wasn't an issue because templates weren't hardly used in digi, but as you can imagine, as the use of templates exploded, so did the challenge in finding people to feature. The fact that we ended up featuring two current Babes in the last 3 months of the feature was kind of a sign it was time for it to go. I know a lot of us were sad to see it go when it had been such a staple of the Sweet Shoppe for so long but that's how it goes sometimes.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When starting this thread, I didn't mean to sound critical at all. Let me make this very clear: We hang around SSD, because we LIKE it, right? (And that means we like the people who hang here and work here as well as the stuff, so please don't think I'm trying to bring in a sour tone here. That's not at all my intention!

.... this is for everyone right now. Just in case ...

When addressing my worries, I don't have the slightest intention to dishearten the staff, while I also think feedback should be desired and is helpful, usually.)

I only mentioned the blog issue earlier, not to trash it, but just to explain that last time around changes were promised to be for the better, but for me personally that wasn't quite true. (It's a personal thing, anyways, that doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else. It's just that I always thought, if I want to read people's personal stories, I can go to their personal blogs; and I feel a little sad to have lost the scrapelated inspiration I always used to get from the old blog format.)

Anyways, as I already said, I just mentioned the blog changes not to criticize, but simply to show that I wasn't 100% happy with the changes last time, which is why I'm a little more concerned this time. I know, with such a large community, you can't necessarily make everyone happy, and honestly, the blog isn't such a big deal to me anyways.

So, as long as we can still earn points toward sweet rewards somehow, and have the forums to chat (which I'm sure that'll not go away), I'll take whatever changes are in store and still be a happy little gal.

And now I'm going to repeat myself ...

SSD is my favorite digiscrap place in the Whole Wide World! For real!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This makes me giggle how different we all are. I happen to LOVE the new blog format! But I don't do the portfolios very often, either, since they seem to consume me when I do them, so getting to hear from the Babes is far more interesting to me than having challenge related posts on the blog every day.

And I have to say that change makes me wanna puke, but Robin has always rocked change, given me lots of warning so I'm ready and always made things happy at the end. So I'm looking forward to the changes coming this time!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Haha, it is funny how different we all are Kelly, because I too love the new blog format and have really enjoyed reading about whats going on in everyone's lives. From the silly elf on the shelf stuff to recipes and layouts and vacations and more - I think it's so much more engaging than it used to be.

I think some of you are missing the chance for bonus points really, and I'll see what we can do about that That said, just to prepare you guys, we are changing up the portfolio format a little bit, and the entire staff sorta flipped when I rolled out the idea a few weeks ago, so stay tuned. I think it's going to be better than ever!

R
Old 12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

And she means flipped in a really really good way!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I want to know!! The suspense is killing me! I've been at SSD since 1847 (err, maybe that's 2007 - but a long time!) so I've seen it evolve over the years. I like this little community and the portfolio challenges here. Can't wait to see how you're going to grow them!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

awesome...I love the idea of something new and great
Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm excited to see what changes are coming but I'm another who misses the old blog!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
LOL-I was hoping that's what she meant.

I've been here a long time--my first visit to SSD was on opening day. It has always been a fantastic place to be, and I have no doubt that Robin and the Babes are working hard behind the scenes to make things even better. Most of the changes that I've seen at SSD have been good ones, and the couple that weren't have always been changed for the better the next year. So if you're excited about them, I'm sure they'll be good!

As for the blog, it's not about bonus points for me. There are always more good Portfolio ideas than I have time to get to, so I don't care if the blog offers bonus points or not. I find that my life provides more than enough inspiration for what to scrap, and I liked looking to the blog for ideas on how to scrap it. I don't have the time for gallery browsing that I used to, so I really liked seeing some of the week's best layouts on the blog, seeing how people used the same template or kit and made it their own, and looking at the work of individual scrappers who rock titlework, or clustering, or whatever. It's not that I don't love the Babes and learning more about their lives, but I loved seeing their layouts featured and miss that with this format.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Rachel - you just may like a new feature that we have coming soon then Good stuff on the horizon!

R
Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Haha, Robin's right in saying we flipped. Seriously, the way the portfolio will happen will blow your mind (it did mine!).

I do love that this community is so warm and helpful and SO in love with shoppe and site that there are threads like this--which express that love As someone totally allergic to change, when I first heard of it I was crazy nervous. But rest assured that Robin and the designers are bringing the awezome come 2012
Old 12-04-2011, 10:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I appreciate how you girls keep it fresh, that's what keeps everyone coming back.

I haven't had time to dot he portfolio really since Keira was diagnosed with cancer last year, but I do love how the challenges are set up. I've always enjoyed the changes.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like the blog better this way. I can only read so many tutorials on how to XYZ.

Just goes to show... you can't please everyone.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

these are great threads! don't apologize for telling how you feel - we are here to make YOU guys/gals happy! Like angie said we can't please everyone but we only change things to tyr and make it for the better and to freshen things up and get things exciting again!

It is helpful for us to know on a whole too what is working and doesn't work..
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Haha, it is funny how different we all are Kelly, because I too love the new blog format and have really enjoyed reading about whats going on in everyone's lives. From the silly elf on the shelf stuff to recipes and layouts and vacations and more - I think it's so much more engaging than it used to be.

I think some of you are missing the chance for bonus points really, and I'll see what we can do about that That said, just to prepare you guys, we are changing up the portfolio format a little bit, and the entire staff sorta flipped when I rolled out the idea a few weeks ago, so stay tuned. I think it's going to be better than ever!

R
To me the key thing about the portfolio is that we can earn a coupon for a discount. I've tried other sites and their challenges take for ever to earn some stingy little gift certificate. But with a discount coupon I get a reward right away and the more I spend the more I save!!!

I would love to see more portfolio challenges and work with the topics that I need/want to scrap. In other words...challenges that fit a variety of subjects: color schemes, templates, lifts, techniques, recipes, styles, etc...
Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
LOL!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I am typically scared of change also BUT Robin and the crew here have NEVER disappointed me. Seriously. They do this fun stuff for US. I am looking forward to it.
This.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
Haha, Robin's right in saying we flipped. Seriously, the way the portfolio will happen will blow your mind (it did mine!).

I do love that this community is so warm and helpful and SO in love with shoppe and site that there are threads like this--which express that love As someone totally allergic to change, when I first heard of it I was crazy nervous. But rest assured that Robin and the designers are bringing the awezome come 2012
I'm truly starting to feel intrigued. When I read the post about upcoming changes on the blog, I kinda pushed it to a far corner of my brain, because whatever I do, I won't learn before 1 January, so why think about it? This thread is making me think about it a lot though. Talk about exercise in patience. :-)