Sweet Shoppe Designs

  #1  
Old 02-19-2022, 02:11 PM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default A Question for the Community - Help/Advice Wanted

How do you save your layouts - i.e. how do you get to the finished image that you upload online? Do you add any lighting effects or filters, adjustments or sharpen before saving? Do you flatten, save to web, save at 72dpi or do you do something else entirely?

I'm just starting out (less than one year scrapping) and I'm convinced I'm doing it all wrong. I feel like I'm missing something that the people-in-the-know, know (lol).

If you could give a brief outline of your own processes, that would help a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2022, 03:54 PM
Kiana's Avatar
Kiana Kiana is offline
SugarBabe
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 8,056
Default

I don't do anything special. I know a lot of people use a resize action that will resize to web size and sharpens etc.

I don't have time for all of that....rofl
I use PSCC so I just use the Export > Save for Web legacy > resize to 700x700 and adjust my quality number so that it's below 375kb (per our max gallery size) and click save. That's it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2022, 06:29 PM
just_jo's Avatar
just_jo just_jo is offline
Sugar Rush
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I don't do anything special. I know a lot of people use a resize action that will resize to web size and sharpens etc.

I don't have time for all of that....rofl
I use PSCC so I just use the Export > Save for Web legacy > resize to 700x700 and adjust my quality number so that it's below 375kb (per our max gallery size) and click save. That's it.
Me too! Exactly, except I've memorized the keyboard shortcut, so I lost where they moved it in the drop-down menu a long time ago. Thanks for letting me know about that Kianna. Wondered where it went obviously I didn't look very hard
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2022, 07:26 PM
HeatherB's Avatar
HeatherB HeatherB is offline
Jabber-Jawbreaker
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,271
Default

I run an action that duplicates, flattens, then sharpens a little and boosts saturation just a touch. Then I do what Kiana does.

My action is from so long ago (over 10 years), I'm surprised it actually still works. It was the first action I ever bought. It's a bit finicky now, but does the job in the end.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2022, 08:25 PM
tanyiadeskins's Avatar
tanyiadeskins tanyiadeskins is offline
Jabber-Jawbreaker
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 5,887
Default

What Heather said lol.

The action was originally from a CT and it was for a smaller size so I gave it an update
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Kimberly27's Avatar
Kimberly27 Kimberly27 is offline
Jabber-Jawbreaker
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 5,825
Default

I do the same. I save for web and then I also save an original full size with 300dpi for printing. Once I have shared my page and moved it to my to be printed folder I delete the web version (700x700)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2022, 09:29 PM
Tree City's Avatar
Tree City Tree City is offline
Sugar Rush
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 787
Default

I do similar to those who've posted. But I wanted to say that I checked out your gallery and I don't think you're missing anything. Your pages look great!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2022, 12:06 AM
HeatherH's Avatar
HeatherH HeatherH is offline
Sweet Talker
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maine USA
Posts: 2,820
Default

I do sharpen a bit before I export. My total process in PSCC:
Flatten layout
Image>Image Size and set resolution to 72 and height and width to 700
Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask and set at 30%
Then File>Export>Save for web and then select optimize to file size (499K)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2022, 12:52 AM
AmieN1's Avatar
AmieN1 AmieN1 is offline
Sweet Talker
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,059
Default

I'm one of "those" scrappers... lol.


When I'm done with a layout, I do a couple extra steps. It literally takes 2 seconds.

First, I add a layer on top for lighting. I add layer, fill with black, then with a large soft round brush, add a white to my focal point. Adjust opacity of layer to 10-15%.

Next, I add a photo filter. I usually end up using the 1st warm filter at 15-20% opacity or Sepia at 25% opacity.

Lastly, I made actions that I run. 1st action Flattens, add credits to metadata & saves full sized. Then I run my smaller sized actions, I have one for 600, 700 & 900 due to CT/different store preferences. Those resize, sharpen a smidge & save.

It sounds like A LOT- but it's just part of my work flow & seriously doesn't take much time at all!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2022, 10:35 AM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
I don't do anything special. I know a lot of people use a resize action that will resize to web size and sharpens etc.

I don't have time for all of that....rofl
I use PSCC so I just use the Export > Save for Web legacy > resize to 700x700 and adjust my quality number so that it's below 375kb (per our max gallery size) and click save. That's it.
Thank you for responding Kiana. This is what I usually do.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-20-2022, 10:38 AM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Me too! Exactly, except I've memorized the keyboard shortcut, so I lost where they moved it in the drop-down menu a long time ago. Thanks for letting me know about that Kianna. Wondered where it went obviously I didn't look very hard
Memorizing shortcuts is the best fail-safe for when Adobe plays musical chairs with their toolbar
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2022, 10:44 AM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
I run an action that duplicates, flattens, then sharpens a little and boosts saturation just a touch. Then I do what Kiana does.

My action is from so long ago (over 10 years), I'm surprised it actually still works. It was the first action I ever bought. It's a bit finicky now, but does the job in the end.
Heather that sounds like what I've been missing. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
What Heather said lol.

The action was originally from a CT and it was for a smaller size so I gave it an update
I've visited a few blogs and saw that there were a lot of free legacy actions but unfortunately the download links don't work anymore but I'm grateful for the information you ladies are sharing with me now.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2022, 10:45 AM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
I do the same. I save for web and then I also save an original full size with 300dpi for printing. Once I have shared my page and moved it to my to be printed folder I delete the web version (700x700)
That's such a good tip. I'm not as confident with my scrapbooking as I would like to be so I haven't printed any yet but I'm hoping to get there one day.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2022, 10:54 AM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
I do similar to those who've posted. But I wanted to say that I checked out your gallery and I don't think you're missing anything. Your pages look great!
That you Sara. That's sweet of you to say. I did learn a new trick recently using an adjustment layer curve. I've used this technique on my last three layouts in the gallery and I can see the difference/improvement. I'm a member of a graphic design forum and every once in a while they post a great tip that can be applied to scrapbooking. It's great for when images look dull, desaturated and 'cloudy'.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2022, 11:01 AM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
I'm one of "those" scrappers... lol.
I knew you existed.....lol. Thank you for the insight into your process.

Quote:
I do sharpen a bit before I export. My total process in PSCC:
Flatten layout
Image>Image Size and set resolution to 72 and height and width to 700
Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask and set at 30%
Then File>Export>Save for web and then select optimize to file size (499K)
I have been reluctant to use the sharpen feature as I didn't know where to begin. Thank you both for also adding the values now I can try it out for myself.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-20-2022, 08:16 PM
StacyLynn's Avatar
StacyLynn StacyLynn is offline
Sweet Talker
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: May 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 1,266
Default

Each of my LOs have three versions saved.
1. The TIFF layered file. Incase I need to fix a typo... or reuse the style of the LO...
2. One flattened 12x12inch (3600x3600pixels) For printing
3. One Flattened jpeg saved at 72 dpi and 700x700 pixels. For posting online. I used to have an action for "saving to web" but it was smaller and now doesn't seem to work well...

I do not add any filters or any effects... sometimes I might blur personal information in the journaling for the online jpeg.
__________________

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Karen_'s Avatar
Karen_ Karen_ is offline
Sweetness
 
profile gallery send pm
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 199
Default

I don't do any processing... I just change the dpi to 72 and the pixel size to 600 x 600, although I have been thinking that maybe I should make them 700x700 lately. When I post the smaller ones on Instagram they look so bad full size.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-21-2022, 09:15 AM
LilyRose LilyRose is offline
Banned
 
profile gallery
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 365
Default

@Stacy and @Karen, thank you for sharing your process.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, digital scrapbooking, help saving layouts, tutorial

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All Creative Content 2007 SweetShoppeDesigns

Making your memories sweeter

Copyright 2016 Sweet Shoppe Designs The Sweetest Digital Scrapbooking Site on the Web | Site by Lilac Creative