Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default NRSB ~ Stuff

I just have to share - When we decided to come over here to Korea it was without the "blessing" of the military, so we were only able to bring 2 suitcases each. So everything we own went into a storage unit - We moved into a "furnished" apartment (and I use that term loosely) We mailed some stuff over - like my fav cookbooks and my computer. Right now I am going through such a hard time, I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss my stuff! Is that horrible? I know I always strive to be the kind of person who doesn't need so many material things, but I have to tell you I don't think I am. I like my stuff! I like the gifts the kids made me and my pictures on the wall. I keep telling myself its only till March - Really April when we get settled in Italy. But wow! I thought getting rid of stuff was supposed be liberating - Not even!!! Any suggestions?

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I felt the same way when we moved to italy and had nothing for months until our stuff finally arrived. It helped to just print up new photos and frame them on the walls, even though it was temporary and stuff. I put out as much as we could, just to make it home. It helped some, but I was never so happy to get our stuff back
Old 11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No suggestions, only that I'm sorry you're having a hard time without your stuff. I would go insane.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Our very first duty station was a non-command sponsored tour in Korea, so I definitely know where you are coming from. I think my DH was authorized 1500 lbs so it was a bit better than your two suitcases but there was still a ton of stuff that went into storage. Our apartment was "furnished" by the military which essentially meant a few pieces (no where near enough for the size of our apt) of crappy barrack/dorm type furniture. It was really sad because we had this amazing highise three bedroom apartment in the heart of Seoul but it never ever felt homey because of the complete lack of anything. We had friends who were all command-sponsored so they were able to bring all their stuff and their places always seemed SO much nicer than ours.

It's tough because when you're limited in what you can bring, it makes sense to only bring the most practical things you need, but it's all the other "stuff" that makes your house feel homey. If I were to do it again, I would put MUCH more effort into making our place feel like a home because I think not doing that really made it much harder for us. Is there anything specific you're wishing you had?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think that makes sense. Without your stuff you don't really feel like you're in your own place. ((hugs))
Old 11-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i remember when we were stationed in Germany. We of course, got there before our stuff did. i think it was only a month before it came but it was hard being without certain things.

When my DH was sent to Korea i could not go; he was too close to the border to North Korea. well, i probably could have gone but i was terrified lol. so i moved back into my parents house. we had only been married a year when he went to Korea.

Last edited by junebug; 11-04-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We lived in Ecuador for a year and brought only two suitcases each. We left all of our stuff in my parents' basement. It was like Christmas getting back and getting to go through all of our boxes again!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

(((hugs))) It totally makes sense & you're not crazy or horrible.

Maybe print a few photos out that you LOVE & sit down with the kiddos for a project day, have them create some new art for your walls. It may not be exactly the 'stuff' you have waiting in storage, but you'll get to have a little fun with the kiddos in the mean time.

I have no idea what it's like to be in another country without 'stuff', but I do know what it's like to be in a place that isn't home. As much as we are not material people, there's just some 'stuff' that makes home, KWIM!? When Anna had just turned 1, hubby still had his own logging truck & we lived in our travel trailer in another state for a month. It was hard not having the things that we were used to having right at our fingertips. Or having the 'homey' feeling. Needless to say it was still 'winter' & rainy season, which also meant flu season...with a 1 year old in less than 27' of space... blech.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it would be very interesting to see what would happen if I didn't have my "stuff" for a while. In theory, I think it would be very liberating as I like to believe that I am a minimalist, but maybe in reality it would drive me crazy, like you are experiencing. Maybe it would help to try to think of it as a "vacation" from your stuff? A time where you can just relax and have fewer responsibilities and distractions?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You guys are so great - When we put everything in storage I thought - Why do I need all this crap - Now .... Things I miss, Gifts from the kids - like my Jewelry box - and the mugs made at the paint your pottery place, my kitchen - I think I own EVERYTHING from Pampered Chef - My sewing machine, my fabric - can I go on and on??? I think you don't realize how much stuff you accumulate over the years -not that I have any idea what it is like to loose everything (like in a fire) but I definitely have a better appreciation for people who go through it. I know I will eventually get over this pitty party, nothing can replace the fact that I am here with my husband - and that is totally worth it.

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland