Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Has anyone ever?????

I am taking my grandmothers hand written recipes and scanning them in with the eventual idea that it will be a recipe book for everyone - Has anyone done anything remotely like this? How did you do it? I know there are all kinds of sites on the web that you can make a recipe book - but I think I want to take a more personal approach - include some hand written ones, some pics of her - some of the food -

Anyone Anyone??????

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Last edited by nonnie; 03-26-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You could always scrap 4x6 pages and get a bound book made out of them.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I'm curious to see this answer. I've had my grandma's for about 3 years now and just can't figure out how I want to do it so that all the family can have a copy of them.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've started doing this, too. What I'm doing is typing the recipes out onto cute little journal-y things, and making a page for each recipe. So the recipe is typed, then a photo of the actual meal once its made, some background on it (if available) or a story or something like that, and now and then a photo. I'm making a 5x7 book. We'll see how it comes out, I haven't actually printed any yet! LOL! It's a LOT of work but I think it'll be really rewarding!

::Also creating for::
The Artisan Notebook, The Lilypad, Shabby Pickle Designs, MScraps, Polly & Rufus, Joyce Paul, Busy Bee Designs and Tiny Toes Designs
Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Look at shutterfly in their community gallery under recipes.

They aren't the greatest you know, but it'll give you an idea.

I made my own recipe album, with 8x10 pages with a photo of the food on it.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've done three... two like this, where my mom wrote a bit about the person, what she remembered of them... and then used a copy of the recipe with their handwriting as part of the photo mat. One book was of both my mom's and my dad's side of the family... and the second was just of my great aunt who was an amazing cook and then made copies for my mom's cousins. The center of the book had a collage of photos and memorabilia like her college certificate, and various teaching items (she was a teacher in a oneoom school and then to a regular elementary school). The third book on is just a 8.5 x 11 super recipe book that hold all of my mom's favorite recipes all in one place so she doesn't have to go through her cook book collection.

Here are samples of the first one:

I still want to do one on my grandma... I have her original handwriting. But I haven't decided on how I want to do that...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

My sisters and I are working on one right now for our family (over 150 members) so it's a big deal. We are doing it through www.heritagecookbooks.com - supposedly Oprah has talked about it and recommends them. Anyway, it's a small fee but we figure with the amt of books we'll be purchasing it won't be so bad. You are able to upload pictures and stories as well.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I digi scrapped my recipes onto 4x6 cards and made a recipe book with them using photo albums that hold 4x6 photos. Then I altered the book to make it as cute as the cards. LOL