Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2022, 08:04 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Speed reading

I just picked up a book about speed reading. I LOVE to read, but lately I haven't really picked up many books. (It's been since 2020--you know, when we were all first stuck at home and many of us thought we'd use the time to do things we enjoy, in my case reading more, because what else was there to do.) The problem: it was tough to find a nice, quiet half hour or more to sit with a book when the whole family was stuck in the house together. I like to get into a good book, not read a page and call it good for the day. That meant I slowly stopped reading because I couldn't find those chunks of time in my day. (And I have to be careful reading in bed at night because I end up staying awake all night to finish the book!)

Anyway, flash forward to this week. I bought a book about speed reading. Yes, the irony of buying ANY book when I barely look at my TBR pile is ironic, but I hope this book will encourage me to get over my hesitation and actually READ.

I'm curious if anybody else has tried speed reading? I'd love your thoughts!
Old 07-28-2022, 11:47 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Haven’t tried speed reading but I can relate to having TBR piles and not having the time or quiet!
Old 07-28-2022, 11:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't. I don't think I'd take in the information well that way. I know people have different feelings about whether audiobooks are the same as "real reading," but they've been a gamechanger for me. I was a lifelong reader who never had time to sit with a book and had basically stopped reading. (And when I did try to sit with a book, I got so into it that I didn't sleep because that was the only way to make time to read.) Audiobooks are amazing for me because I can concentrate on the story while I'm doing all the mindless or routine things we all have to do--cooking, cleaning, driving, and scrapping.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:54 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I haven't. I don't think I'd take in the information well that way. I know people have different feelings about whether audiobooks are the same as "real reading," but they've been a gamechanger for me. I was a lifelong reader who never had time to sit with a book and had basically stopped reading. (And when I did try to sit with a book, I got so into it that I didn't sleep because that was the only way to make time to read.) Audiobooks are amazing for me because I can concentrate on the story while I'm doing all the mindless or routine things we all have to do--cooking, cleaning, driving, and scrapping.
That’s something I haven’t tried!
Old 07-28-2022, 04:09 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn7 View Post
Haven’t tried speed reading but I can relate to having TBR piles and not having the time or quiet!
Right?! My TBR pile only grows lol! But hey, there are so many books and so little time, amiright?!
Old 07-28-2022, 04:21 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Yeah, I wondered about the comprehension/taking in info thing too with speed reading, but this book's introduction says that speed reading helps not just with speed but with comprehension. (I've read the intro but haven't started Ch 1 yet. They recommend having different reading material near you in order to do their practice drills at the end of each chapter, and I have't gathered that stuff yet lol.)

I've tried audiobooks and they don't sink in. But maybe that's for the same reason I can't read-read a book right now: I just don't get the solitude necessary. Ohhhh, but you got me thinking: usually I watch a TV show on the iPad while folding laundry. NO ONE bothers me in the laundry room for fear I'll make them help lol, so maybe I should pop on an audiobook instead! (I can't read and fold but I can listen and fold!)

As for reading in bed: I can't read in bed or, like you, I'm up all night! I'm alone, it's quiet, and the book is good: why in the world would I stop reading?! (Oh, cuz I have to function in the morning? That's tomorrow's problem! )
Old 07-28-2022, 05:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I actually studied speed reading and was very good at it. Luckily, my retention rate was pretty high. I don't do it much anymore, especially when I'm "pleasure reading" but I still do it like reading articles online (formerly in the newspaper or in print) - if I'm reading a book that I don't really like, I find myself speed reading. That's when I know it's time to get another book. I read a lot and if I'm enjoying the book, I want to take it all in.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:57 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
I actually studied speed reading and was very good at it. Luckily, my retention rate was pretty high. I don't do it much anymore, especially when I'm "pleasure reading" but I still do it like reading articles online (formerly in the newspaper or in print) - if I'm reading a book that I don't really like, I find myself speed reading. That's when I know it's time to get another book. I read a lot and if I'm enjoying the book, I want to take it all in.
Oooh, you brought up something I've worried about: I don't want to speed read something I like and want to just savor reading. It's reassuring to know that you find yourself speed reading something you DON'T like because it means (I hope!) that I'll still be able to read for pleasure and at my leisure. (That wasn't meant to rhyme!)

So I've read the first chapter of the book. It's easy to read it at night for like 10 minutes and then put it down (unlike the fiction books I want to devour in one sitting lol).
Old 07-30-2022, 11:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The only "speed reading" I do, is listening to my audible books at 1.5x speed or "reading" via blinkist. Which is a really neat summery.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Oooh, you brought up something I've worried about: I don't want to speed read something I like and want to just savor reading. It's reassuring to know that you find yourself speed reading something you DON'T like because it means (I hope!) that I'll still be able to read for pleasure and at my leisure. (That wasn't meant to rhyme!)

So I've read the first chapter of the book. It's easy to read it at night for like 10 minutes and then put it down (unlike the fiction books I want to devour in one sitting lol).
That's completely what I do - if I'm pleasure reading, I slow it down. Some things you can go back to your speed reading with.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:03 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

"I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia. "

Woody Allen

If I have to find some information for work or studying of course I skim the chapters for certain words and informations. Then I read the pages with the relevant information slowly.

If it is for pleasure then I just read normally because I want to take in the entire story and I don't get the point of skipping over a lot of the content and forgetting what I read immediately.

I had multiple people tell me they were impressed at how much information I could retain from just reading something once. So while I am not killing books or articles fast, I remember what I read very well after reading something once or twice. Comes in handy for studying, too but I have to plan what I do and condense information/pick the important chapters to meet time constraints.

Last edited by violar; 08-14-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:57 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I took a class on speed reading in middle school actually. My sister and I were at the top of the class, but she was definitely way better at than I was. She still using those techniques and can jam through a book. I've reverted back to just reading at my own pace because I struggle to retain what I've read otherwise.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Reading books and buying books are two different hobbies of mine
I paused on reading months back because - life. But I still went to Barnes and Noble with my daughter twice and bought books which I just placed on my shelf to collect dust or maybe they will be read someday
Old 08-15-2022, 01:29 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

LOL, I've now read TWO whole chapters of the book. They're short chapters--this is all me. But in my defense, we were researching dogs and ended up getting a puppy last week, so I've been busy. I should read while he naps on the couch next to me at night. (I fall asleep too, though lol!)
Old 08-16-2022, 12:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't want to speed read a book I'm reading for pleasure - LOL. And I suspect that at the point, if I read a text book in speed reading mode, the info wouldn't sink in. I also don't do audio books because my mind drifts and I would just have to rewind. Why not just schedule reading times for yourself if life is very busy. Enjoy the journey of reading instead of trying to stay up all night to finish it. I hate giving up characters when a good book ends. Perhaps set a timer on your phone for the reading and when the timer goes off, you finish the chapter or find a good place to put the current chapter on hold.

Regardless of how you do it, happy reading.