Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-30-2022, 11:29 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default your best vacation?

My DH and I are debating where to go on vacation. (I know, what a "problem" to have!) He saw an episode of Somebody Feed Phil and decided he *has* to go to Madrid because the food looked amazing. But then we started the second season of The White Lotus last night, and now he wants to go to Sicily because it looks gorgeous! I just want to go somewhere new-to-us.

But our back-and-forth got me thinking: what was your best vacation? What made it the best--the food, the locale, the people, the company, the atmosphere?
Old 12-30-2022, 12:14 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Growing up, my family went to Dauphin Island, Alabama a lot, which was really lovely because we'd gone so many times it did feel like a home away from home... we usually rented from the same people, went to similar restaurants each year, and it truly started to feel like a little bit of "ours" in some ways. Plus, the food there is always good, and the atmosphere is nice. We're landlocked, so being near the beach is always a perk.

But I think my favorite was when I took my kiddo to Wakita, Oklahoma. They're autistic and weather is a special interest for them, but also the movie Twister has been a favorite since they were probably too young to watch it. Not long after Bill Paxton passed away, many of the storm chasers in the local community wanted to do a memorial on the property where Aunt Meg's house sat in the movie, and also come down for Wakita's town celebration. They had the Twister museum open, encouraged movie fans and weather enthusiasts alike to come, and really make it a big event to support Bill Paxton, support the movie, and mostly, support Wakita in general (their tourism and commerce). For us, the thing that made the trip special was that it was this major "bucket list moment." We got to see one of the Dorothys from the movie (and a couple years later, actually got to see another one in the Salt Caves in Hutchinson, KS), and a storm chaser was nice enough to let my kiddo look at their radar and climb into the storm chasing vehicle and get a peek at the equipment. They even told them some stories about what it was like to be an actual storm chaser, which was so cool.

I'm not sure if going to Wakita outside of that would hold the same magic (even if we could visit the Twister Museum and Aunt Meg's land again) in the same way that going that specific time did, but I do know that a lot of times during their fall event, an actor or two is known to swing by for an appearance. We were so upset to find out that the actor who played Allan (Sean Whalen) was there last year! We missed out big time.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think my husband and I would both agree our favorite was our road trip to Yellowstone in 2020 during Covid. It was just amazing, I wouldn't say the food had anything to with it, just seeing so much of the country.

Our most relaxing was a trip to an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic in 2016. The food was great, it was so nice and chill, just laying by the pool. We're planning another adults only trip for 2024 for our 20th wedding anniversary.
Old 12-30-2022, 03:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Another vote for an all inclusive resort vacation here! We’ve done 3 now (and one more for me on my own for my friend’s wedding-my husband was deployed and missed it!) & our favorite was in Sri Lanka. It was super relaxing, we went out on two excursions and spent the rest of the time carefree at the pool.
We have done lots of “traveling” but that doesn’t feel like vacation to me. Haha
My favorite “travel” trip was a road trip around Scotland. Every mile was more beautiful than the last & it was fun to stay at a variety of B&Bs.

Last December we went to Maui and while that had lots of pool time (mostly because paying for other stuff was too depressing!), the number of discussions and decisions we had to make that factored around our vacation budget were a real downer. The first day we were there, we spent $200 on 3 meals—and ordered everything frugally!! We decided that our next winter escape would be to an all inclusive, even though Hawaii is a much easier flight than Alaska. We went to Mexico a few weeks ago and it was so nice to be able to let my kids have juice or ice cream and not get a drink only during happy hour, LOL. The entire thing cost less than 1/4 of what we spent for/in Hawaii… so we’re taking a second winter escape in Feb!
Old 12-30-2022, 04:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The only time we left Alaska when we were stationed there was for Hawaii too. Just easier, but we did a cruise.

That was great, but we had a toddler, so to factor that in. LOL! I'd love to go again. It was a wonderful way to see a lot of Hawaii on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Another vote for an all inclusive resort vacation here! We’ve done 3 now (and one more for me on my own for my friend’s wedding-my husband was deployed and missed it!) & our favorite was in Sri Lanka. It was super relaxing, we went out on two excursions and spent the rest of the time carefree at the pool.
We have done lots of “traveling” but that doesn’t feel like vacation to me. Haha
My favorite “travel” trip was a road trip around Scotland. Every mile was more beautiful than the last & it was fun to stay at a variety of B&Bs.

Last December we went to Maui and while that had lots of pool time (mostly because paying for other stuff was too depressing!), the number of discussions and decisions we had to make that factored around our vacation budget were a real downer. The first day we were there, we spent $200 on 3 meals—and ordered everything frugally!! We decided that our next winter escape would be to an all inclusive, even though Hawaii is a much easier flight than Alaska. We went to Mexico a few weeks ago and it was so nice to be able to let my kids have juice or ice cream and not get a drink only during happy hour, LOL. The entire thing cost less than 1/4 of what we spent for/in Hawaii… so we’re taking a second winter escape in Feb!
Old 12-30-2022, 04:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We spent 10 days in Kauai a few years ago. Best vacation ever! We rented a condo right on the ocean, so it was beautiful morning, noon and night! The island is small enough that if it happened to be raining on one side of the island, the sun would more than likely be shining on the other side of the island - so we'd take a short road trip and enjoy perfect weather. We did do some "big" activities like an island helicopter ride and whale watching, but we also kept busy just driving here and there, taking in the beautiful sites and sounds. The one downfall is the cost of food / groceries, however; it was less expensive to purchase food than go out to eat all of the time. It was actually very fun to cook nice meals and sit on the verandah and watch the ocean! Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-30-2022, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Alaska cruise was AMAZING! I loved it! We did 7 days on the boat and 5 days (I think)...we saw Denali, Fairbanks etc.

The other trips we have done that are memorable and amazing are our road trips to the national parks. Hubby gets ambitious and tries to do a lot so we pack it in but I loved just driving and seeing the beauty that is out there.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:42 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhartauthor View Post
But I think my favorite was when I took my kiddo to Wakita, Oklahoma. They're autistic and weather is a special interest for them, but also the movie Twister has been a favorite since they were probably too young to watch it. Not long after Bill Paxton passed away, many of the storm chasers in the local community wanted to do a memorial on the property where Aunt Meg's house sat in the movie, and also come down for Wakita's town celebration. They had the Twister museum open, encouraged movie fans and weather enthusiasts alike to come, and really make it a big event to support Bill Paxton, support the movie, and mostly, support Wakita in general (their tourism and commerce). For us, the thing that made the trip special was that it was this major "bucket list moment." We got to see one of the Dorothys from the movie (and a couple years later, actually got to see another one in the Salt Caves in Hutchinson, KS), and a storm chaser was nice enough to let my kiddo look at their radar and climb into the storm chasing vehicle and get a peek at the equipment. They even told them some stories about what it was like to be an actual storm chaser, which was so cool.
That sounds like an absolutely AMAZING time for your child (as well as for you, to see their joy!). I'm trying to figure out how to word this, so I hope this sounds the way I want it to come across: while I am sad for the reason that everyone gathered in Wakita that year (may Bill rest in peace), I am also glad you were able to attend and that your child could really immerse themself in the weather and movie culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I think my husband and I would both agree our favorite was our road trip to Yellowstone in 2020 during Covid. It was just amazing, I wouldn't say the food had anything to with it, just seeing so much of the country.

Our most relaxing was a trip to an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic in 2016. The food was great, it was so nice and chill, just laying by the pool. We're planning another adults only trip for 2024 for our 20th wedding anniversary.
I like the idea of a relaxing trip! We've done a few all inclusive resorts--all in Mexico, and all pre-kids, so it's been a LONG time rofl.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:15 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
That sounds like an absolutely AMAZING time for your child (as well as for you, to see their joy!). I'm trying to figure out how to word this, so I hope this sounds the way I want it to come across: while I am sad for the reason that everyone gathered in Wakita that year (may Bill rest in peace), I am also glad you were able to attend and that your child could really immerse themself in the weather and movie culture.
Absolutely this. We were devastated about Bill's passing... he was a talented person, and it was really neat to hear the stories of people who live in Wakita and had gotten to actually meet him and interact with him personally. We were thankful to hear more about the legacy he left there and on the industry.

There is a tradition that storm chasers do when one of them passes away, which is to turn on their GPS signal and map out the initials. Usually it's just reserved for storm chasers, but they did this for Bill Paxton because a lot of people became meteorologists and chasers solely because of him and that movie.

It was a trip we hoped to take someday anyway, we just decided to take it that year after the memorial was announced instead of waiting!
Old 12-30-2022, 11:37 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Another vote for an all inclusive resort vacation here!
Last December we went to Maui and while that had lots of pool time (mostly because paying for other stuff was too depressing!), the number of discussions and decisions we had to make that factored around our vacation budget were a real downer.
We've looked into HI a few times, and the cost keeps coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
We spent 10 days in Kauai a few years ago. Best vacation ever! We rented a condo right on the ocean, so it was beautiful morning, noon and night! The island is small enough that if it happened to be raining on one side of the island, the sun would more than likely be shining on the other side of the island - so we'd take a short road trip and enjoy perfect weather.
I've heard so many good things about Hawaii! I've never been, but I live near the East Coast, so it's a longer flight than going to Europe...which makes me think I should go to Europe instead of Hawaii. So. Many. Choices! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Alaska cruise was AMAZING! I loved it! We did 7 days on the boat and 5 days (I think)...we saw Denali, Fairbanks etc.
My parents went on an AK cruise this year, and my mom now talks about AK all. the. time! Another place to add to our ever-growing Destination List lol!
Old 12-31-2022, 10:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have friends who live in Switzerland, and I took the boys to visit them in 2018. We took a cable car up the Alps and walked through a glacier. Literally every place we went was picturesque. It was May, and everything was in bloom; the weather was perfect. Just being in their little house in their village and eating fresh bread and cheese was magical. I don't know if it would have been as amazing if we hadn't had them to show us around, but I suspect it would because Switzerland is perfect.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am hoping our honeymoon in Ireland next fall will be the best vacation we've ever been on but we shall see!
Old 12-31-2022, 11:55 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
We have friends who live in Switzerland, and I took the boys to visit them in 2018. We took a cable car up the Alps and walked through a glacier. Literally every place we went was picturesque. It was May, and everything was in bloom; the weather was perfect. Just being in their little house in their village and eating fresh bread and cheese was magical. I don't know if it would have been as amazing if we hadn't had them to show us around, but I suspect it would because Switzerland is perfect.
How wonderful to have friends who could show you around! But I bet you're right: I bet it would still have been a great trip even without them. BUT! It must have been awesome to have them as guides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I am hoping our honeymoon in Ireland next fall will be the best vacation we've ever been on but we shall see!
Ireland is GORGEOUS. You're going to have a wonderful time no matter where you are, but Ireland is a great pick!
Old 01-03-2023, 01:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My friend introduced me to a website called Heygo this summer that has appx 1 hour long live virtual tours around the world, 24 hours/day. It's been really cool to explore different parts of the world that I'll never get to see in person as well as helped me build my bucket list of places I reallllly want to see someday. If you get your list narrowed down, maybe you'll find some tours on there that can help you get a 'sneak peek' and narrow your list. Plus the guides are very friendly and full of info and can help you decide when the best times are to visit.
My favorite places I've visited in person are definitely Yellowstone, Ireland and a cruise/tour of Alaska. All have amazing geography, wildlife and so many things to see/do.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We love Somebody Feed Phil and he makes me want to go everywhere!

We have been to so many amazing places. The most amazing vacation I had was a dream trip to Europe. I spent a little over 2 weeks in Italy seeing Naples, Rome, and the Amalfi coast and we took a long weekend trip to Prague. It was a dream come true to visit those places. The food was amazing and so was the architecture. I have also spent a day in Germany in a tiny town near former Air Force Base Hahn with the military, but next year I will be visiting sites important to the liberation of France in World War II including taking a boat ride from England to Normandy. I am really excited about that.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Last December we went to Maui and while that had lots of pool time (mostly because paying for other stuff was too depressing!),
We're doing Hawaii this December and I am worried about that same thing. It's going to be an expensive one.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:32 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We have been to several countries, but nothing beat Japan.
We went to Tokyo at the very beginning of Covid, January 2019, it was wonderful. There was no food that we did not like, each part of the city was unique and fascinating, and the people are so so polite, kind and helpful!

Three years after, we still talk about going back repeatedly. We are hooked on Japan.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
We went to Ireland for our honeymoon as well (almost 21 years ago) and we had a wonderful time. It's been quite some time, since I've been to Ireland (I think it's coming up to 10 years). Prepare for rain and grey days, so every sun beam is a treat. The colors will be gorgeous though.

I think my best vacation ever must be my last vacation. Last november I went on a sister's trip to WDW and the Orlando region, we have had such an amazing time. We were both relaxed, had a ton of adventures and just enjoyed being together for almost 2 weeks (something that hadn't happened in the last 29 years or so).

A few of my other favorite trips: our weekend break at Budapest, our week long trip at Ile de France (Paris, Disneyland Paris, Versailles Palace, a wild cat zoo and more) and our vacation to Bavaria.

No plans yet for this year... well, we thought of going to a Greek island, but it probably will end up us going to Venice (because chances are Joline is going to work there at a campsite this summer).
Old 01-11-2023, 12:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I went to norway on my own when I was 15 to visit my sister who was doing an exchange program there! I was a little naive and inexperienced in travel though, so I was quite nervous for a lot of it to enjoy it as much as I should have.

I always enjoy road trips though. One summer we did the oregon coast and I still miss it, we've also done vancouver island and few years ago my husband and I went to glacier national park and explored the going the sun road. I always love visiting Banff as well.

I really like to go to lots of places when I travel and we tend to not just stick to one place. I have lots of places on my bucket list for traveling, but all the travel nightmares as of late (and the sheer cost) is a bit of a deterrence.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I usually vacation at Disney and love it each and every time, but I think my best travel experience was when I went to Germany for 3 weeks for work. I was on my own and scared to death, but determined to do as much as I could around work, so pulled up my big girl pants and just went for it. It was a wonderful experience.