Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Homeschooling week of 04/20

I miss chatting with my homeschool friends! Last week was a wash because of Eden being sick, so two weeks off in a row has me all scatter-brained. I don't know how this week is going to go trying to get back into a schooling frame of mind.

Today's question: When do you plan on finishing for the summer? Do you think you'll continue through the summer?

I'm pretty sure we'll finish up the last week of May. I've already told her we are going to do math during the summer. Each lesson only lasts about 40 minutes. She wasn't happy at all, but I told her to get over it.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son's school is out on June 12th. For the summer we have lots of travel to various places for adventures plus some time at home hanging out. For those times that we are at home I usually plan some activities to do for part of the day and the rest is free form. I really don't want to hear 'Can I play on my Kindle??' ALL summer! It gets uber hot around here, so during those icky parts of the afternoon when it's just miserable to be outside we tend to stay indoors.

SOOO....I've already got some "Mommy Summer Camp" activities in the works, mainly a learning activity for about 1-2 hours a day on things that he's expressed interest in.
  1. I teach science at my son's small school, so I think this summer I'll try out a few new units on him. "Sound" and "Mechanics of Gears" (this one he asked for specifically).
  2. Spirituality/Bible study. I want to do some personal mommy/son time with learning the Bible. He's ready to go deeper with the whole thing, I've just been trying to find the right angle. If any of you have a suggestion for some free (or inexpensive) Bible resources I would appreciate it. I'm looking for things that would talk about the stories themselves beyond just memorizing & copying scripture. I've found a couple 'activity' books on Amazon that looked like they might have some possibilities. I've also purchased some fun VBS 'stuff' from Oriental Trading that my son picked out. They had a totally fun theme around 'follow in His footsteps" or "go God's way" with some neato maps, compasses, rocks, etc..
  3. History: We are going to Boston to do some hands on American History. I want to mostly do some reading of history picture books & chapter books before we go. He is really looking forward to this trip.

Going to be a fun summer!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I totally am in summer mode... I want to stop the books we are working on and move onto the fun stuff! haha I am soooo burnt out! But I know, we have to keep learning or we will have issues come fall.

As I mentioned in a different post, we are going to do school over summer... but I want it to be fun. Jake has been pleading to do more school, so I'm happy to comply. haha...

Math - Life of Fred. we have already started it and J is hooked - have done 8 chapters in the last two days!
Science - I have a whole year supply of Magic School Bus subscriptions that we are going to burn through... and then if something sparks more interest, which it will, there will be a tangent for more experiences and books to read.
Geography - J's fav subject... and he is obsessed with USA, so we are going to make lapbooks about different states.
Composures - J's request to learn more about classical music.
Other - I have a curriculum that I purchased two years go and never got use of, Moving Beyond the Page, so we will dabble a bit in that, too.

It looks like a lot - but I figure we will do our typical 4 hours or so in the morning and then the afternoon is free play, similar schedule we have now. It will be more informal because he will have a week of VBS and GeoDraw Camp to go to... plus I'll get him into swimming lessons... and probably something to do with soccer or baseball, but that is like an hour once a week for 4 weeks.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
[*]Spirituality/Bible study. I want to do some personal mommy/son time with learning the Bible. He's ready to go deeper with the whole thing, I've just been trying to find the right angle. If any of you have a suggestion for some free (or inexpensive) Bible resources I would appreciate it. I'm looking for things that would talk about the stories themselves beyond just memorizing & copying scripture. I've found a couple 'activity' books on Amazon that looked like they might have some possibilities. I've also purchased some fun VBS 'stuff' from Oriental Trading that my son picked out. They had a totally fun theme around 'follow in His footsteps" or "go God's way" with some neato maps, compasses, rocks, etc..
I don't know if this is what you are looking for... these worksheets are what I used for Jake this year... they are short and to the point... and free! http://www.bible-n-more.com/pbs-less...etime-lessons/ Jake also loves to watch "What is in the Bible with Buck Denver"... great series, Jake (and I) have learned a ton! You can get them in DVD or on http://jellytelly.com/ for like $3 a month.

If you are looking for a more curriculum focus, many of my friends rave about Grapevine... your child draws stick figures to help learn the stories. There are sample lessons for you to try out - http://grapevinestudies.com/sample-page/ I'm debating about using this with Jake come fall... but might go with something more classical.

Here is my pinterest board for Bible actives. https://www.pinterest.com/mamabee/hs-bible/
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much Rebecca! I will check all your ideas out!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we start summer mid may. We have a few summer plans, but not many. Hubby will be gone for almost all of summer except for like 2 weeks in june, so we will be alone and probably just hanging out. I plan to buy one of those little floppy side pools this summer and we can just hang in that all day every day.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You guys are such good mommies. I have to force myself to not compare and feel inferior when I think of the difference in our homeschool styles. Adrienne, we'll hang out in your pool while Becky & Kristi keep fightin' the good fight
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
History: We are going to Boston to do some hands on American History. I want to mostly do some reading of history picture books & chapter books before we go. He is really looking forward to this trip.
When are you going to be in Boston? Do you have anything planned while you're here. I'm a native Bostonian (actually, I live just outside of Boston but...) so I might be able to make some suggestions for you.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
You guys are such good mommies. I have to force myself to not compare and feel inferior when I think of the difference in our homeschool styles. Adrienne, we'll hang out in your pool while Becky & Kristi keep fightin' the good fight
DEAL!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We might have to join you at the pool. We'll need a break too!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaM View Post
When are you going to be in Boston? Do you have anything planned while you're here. I'm a native Bostonian (actually, I live just outside of Boston but...) so I might be able to make some suggestions for you.
Awesome! We have just a few days in Boston. DH and I have been there before, so we've done a few of the things you might not do with a kid. We really enjoyed some of Boston's smaller neighborhoods.

Our plan this time is to walk the Freedom Trail. Both DH & my kid are baseball nuts, so we are hoping to tour or see a game at the ball park. My DH also wants to visit MIT (he loves walking our kid around Universities ). Looks like there is a technology museum there which I think all of us would enjoy too.

We are also planning 2-3 days to drive to Plymouth. We plan on visiting the National Park (I think) that talks about the Mayflower, but I'm also hoping we can drive along the coast and see the beach and maybe a lighthouse. I would love input on where a great spot for the beach or a cute coastal town might be between Boston & Plymouth!

My son loves to travel. And Mommy and Daddy are happy to go too!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Awesome! We have just a few days in Boston. DH and I have been there before, so we've done a few of the things you might not do with a kid. We really enjoyed some of Boston's smaller neighborhoods.

Our plan this time is to walk the Freedom Trail. Both DH & my kid are baseball nuts, so we are hoping to tour or see a game at the ball park. My DH also wants to visit MIT (he loves walking our kid around Universities ). Looks like there is a technology museum there which I think all of us would enjoy too.

We are also planning 2-3 days to drive to Plymouth. We plan on visiting the National Park (I think) that talks about the Mayflower, but I'm also hoping we can drive along the coast and see the beach and maybe a lighthouse. I would love input on where a great spot for the beach or a cute coastal town might be between Boston & Plymouth!

Gosh that sounds fun. I'd love to check out that area sometime.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Finally blogged. Been way too long.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I just sent you a PM with some info.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Today's question: When do you plan on finishing for the summer? Do you think you'll continue through the summer?
We should be finished the last week of May. I plan to continue doing math throughout the summer because it is Ben's weakest subject.

Sorry I have been MIA! We got a puppy... and after 2 weeks, despite the fact that she was sweet, smart and lovable- I knew it was a huge mistake (allergies were a big factor for me). So we returned the puppy to the breeder and we've pretty much been in an emotionally catatonic state ever since. Saddest thing ever.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
We should be finished the last week of May. I plan to continue doing math throughout the summer because it is Ben's weakest subject.

Sorry I have been MIA! We got a puppy... and after 2 weeks, despite the fact that she was sweet, smart and lovable- I knew it was a huge mistake (allergies were a big factor for me). So we returned the puppy to the breeder and we've pretty much been in an emotionally catatonic state ever since. Saddest thing ever.
oh no!! That is what I fear - DH is allergic, yet he wants to try a hypo-allergic one... I just don't want to take the chance. I'm sad for you guys...
Old 04-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
oh no!! That is what I fear - DH is allergic, yet he wants to try a hypo-allergic one... I just don't want to take the chance. I'm sad for you guys...
Yeah. I was still allergic to her... I wanted to scratch my eyes out. I think the problem is that she was only 1/2 poodle and she had a bad habit of rolling and digging in the dirt/grass outside. So, it was impossible for me to bond with her since I couldn't hold her or kiss her.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Yeah. I was still allergic to her... I wanted to scratch my eyes out. I think the problem is that she was only 1/2 poodle and she had a bad habit of rolling and digging in the dirt/grass outside. So, it was impossible for me to bond with her since I couldn't hold her or kiss her.
awww that's so sad! I'm so sorry!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww, I'm sorry Brook!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My son is almost finished with his current computer programming class. I suggested he wait until summer was over before picking up another course, but he says he wants to start a new one. I was planning on just a little math during the summer months but not much more.

MyScrapbookEvolution.com
Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're doing math through the summer, although at a slower pace. We'll probably just do a page a day; a normal lesson has 4-5 pages for us. It looks like we will need to finish up language arts over the summer, too -- but again, at a slower pace. Beyond that, we'll spend lots of time reading, at museums and parks, and hopefully some camping, too.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're done with work for week. Going to see Monkey Kingdom late this morning. Anyone else watched it yet?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy S View Post
My son is almost finished with his current computer programming class. I suggested he wait until summer was over before picking up another course, but he says he wants to start a new one. I was planning on just a little math during the summer months but not much more.
What class is this? How old is he? My son has been trying to find books on computer programming but they all seem to be to "old" for him or outdated! So this post made me curious as he would love to do something like this in the summer for sure!

We started late (books didn't arrive on time) and then we moved TWICE in the first year of homeschooling. Factor in we have to drive 2 hours to get to the vet for our new puppies (so sorry to hear yours didn't work out Brooke!! Don't feel bad though...you are letting it go to a home who will not suffer and will love on him/her.) so we've had more than our share of half days. And we are doing a pretty "hard-core" curriculum time-wise so...yeah we are 19 days behind. So will finish mid-June. I think we are ready now though. We've been pushing it pretty hard to get caught up/not fall further behind. I am trying to make things fun as well, but it seems like we often only have time for the "haves". Sigh. Totally feeling like I'm doing all of it wrong (and I'm not cut out for it).

So looks like June 18 will be our last day if we don't lose any more half days/full days to things. And still no idea what program we will do (or combo of) next year for my 3rd and 6th graders then. I think I feel more pressure with my 6th grader than anything to make sure he is getting "enough". Plus they are "lazy" when it comes to writing, so we do battle daily with that. They can...they just don't want to.